Hello

Can anyone advise me whether I have a software or battery issue, or perhaps both with my 9900?

Symtoms -
    Phone randomly resets when in use

Battery goes from approximately 50% to "Too low for radio" within seconds

Battery can be full and after restart at 6 or 8%

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

Neil

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-29-12 04:40 AM
    I have the same problem with a 9790, but I have to say in my case is not the battery because I bought a new one. The reason I bought a new one is because I thought it was a battery problem. But right now I start thinking is a hardware problem and maybe in a drop something inside from a soldering get released. I did a search and it could be the charging ic, but I'm not an expert. So please, any advise appreciated.
    12-29-12 05:14 AM
    Me too. Replaced battery recently in Storm 9550-2. Recycles (clock symbol) often then battery lasts about 1/2 hour. Phone also feels hot.
    01-03-13 06:38 PM
    Interesting, been getting really weird behaviour from my 9900 recently as well... Can't find the mSD card, reboot (takes forever, getting stuck at 3/4 way), then camera not responding, battery pull... then last few days major memory leak, sometimes gets down to 15MB free and the phone bogs down completely, needing a reboot.

All that while battery draining at 10+%/hr... plus hourglass popping up very often.

Didn't install anything since November except BBM7 ... is that the culprit??

**edit:
    running 7.1.0.746 Rogers release on Rogers network.
    Last edited by kolok; 01-03-13 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added info
    01-03-13 07:50 PM
    Interesting, been getting really weird behaviour from my 9900 recently as well... Can't find the mSD card, reboot (takes forever, getting stuck at 3/4 way), then camera not responding, battery pull... then last few days major memory leak, sometimes gets down to 15MB free and the phone bogs down completely, needing a reboot.

All that while battery draining at 10+%/hr... plus hourglass popping up very often.

Didn't install anything since November except BBM7 ... is that the culprit??

**edit:
    running 7.1.0.746 Rogers release on Rogers network.
    Try to use BB's built in format feature to format both internal storage and SD card. How many files do you have on SD card/internal storage? BB's file indexer isn't very efficient and drains >10% CPU constantly if there are too many files.
    01-03-13 08:55 PM
    Not much on there at all. Either phone or mSD. Problems with random reboots, battery drain, general weirdness just started happening around mid-December nearing 20th to be exact. Never had a problem before, then suddenly - poof! this, that.

I might just wipe the phone and re-load the OS... then wait patiently for BB10.
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    01-03-13 10:22 PM
    Sounds like a battery having issues. How long have you had this battery? Maybe you could try to re-calibrate the battery by performing full-charge when the BB is completely dead and not starting the BB. Not sure if it will help.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-04-13 10:31 AM
    Same problem with my BB9900. Battery drained in half a day. I get more if i change to 2G network. but i don't like that.

Sent from my iPad
    01-04-13 03:10 PM
    I was having a similar problem with my 9900 several months ago. I could start the day with a full battery, but one or 2 phone conversations would completely wipe it out. I bought a replacement battery on Amazon for cheap, and my phone was like new again.
    01-04-13 04:30 PM
    I was having a similar problem with my 9900 several months ago. I could start the day with a full battery, but one or 2 phone conversations would completely wipe it out. I bought a replacement battery on Amazon for cheap, and my phone was like new again.
    That may be the answer. I bought my phone July/11 so it's 1 1/2 years old now. Bought myself a new battery in November and it made a drastic difference.

Other than that try downgrading your BBM if you use BBSAK or the like. I'm on the latest build of BBM7 and am having no battery issues. Two other things that will drain my battery quick are a poor cell reception area and running the native camera app. I've learned to shut down my camera app as soon as I've finished using it.
    01-04-13 07:20 PM
    I just registered today for this exact question. I got a new Bold 9900 last night around 6 pm. Twice now the battery indicator has gone from 50% to orange battery indicator in a matter of seconds. It's been fully charged twice now. It's pretty much straight out of the box so I have no idea what is going on. Long-time Bold user too. I'm wondering if I got a defective phone. Unfortunately my carrier will only replace with a refurb (or that's what has happened in the past with a Bold that was a couple days old that had an issue).
    01-04-13 08:59 PM
    Having the same issue and the culprit seems to be BBM7.
    01-05-13 01:43 PM
    Hello Everybody

Thanks for your input.

I changed my battery for a new battery on 3rd January and all problems now resolved.

Now getting 8 - 10 hours out battery.

Regards

Neil

Sent from my BlackBerry� Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-05-13 01:57 PM