Howdy, this is my first post here.

I'm pretty choked with BB.

I bought a 9900 from a retailer here in Canada few months ago on the Bell network.

Right away I had issues with battery life. I came from a 9300 into the 9900 and was getting 1.5-2 days of battery life on my 9300.

I've tried everything to get some life out of this thing. I have to charge it 3x a day, and I'm not what anyone would consider a "hardcore" user. I rarely send emails, don't use Twitter or Facebook, but I do like to check news websites every 2 hours or so.

In addition to the battery problem, I was getting weird error messages and had to reload the OS a week ago, Google maps looks like garbage, is horribly slow and the font is way too small to even use.

I'm Canadian and I like buying Canadian stuff from Canadian companies. No more. I'm done with BB.

Here's a picture I just took of an app I installed called "Battery Plus". I can LITERALLY DISCHARGE MY BATTERY SURFING THE WEB AS FAST AS THE FACTORY CHARGER CAN CHARGE THE DAMN THING.

I've got the screen dimmed down to 40%, WIFI and automatic time zone updating are both off.

Pathetic, just pathetic. Sorry my first post was such a downer; but for $600, I'm pissed.

The line on the left is the NATURAL DISCHARGE rate of the phone while in standby. The sharp, jagged lines are my occasionally using the phone and having to immediately recharge it.
    01-03-12 11:10 PM
    Sell your BlackBerry and purchase a new phone.
    01-03-12 11:18 PM
    Hold down the button with the blackberry logo and see what apps are running, there has to be something constantly running, I know they have battery issues but yours seems excessive..
    01-03-12 11:19 PM
    that sucks your having issues with the battery. alot of folks have had this issue and even today others posting regarding battery performance. if you search this you will find all the tips that some are using to get reasonable performance out of there 9900 battery.

here is a pic of my battery performance for a couple days.
    01-03-12 11:20 PM
    Sell your BlackBerry and purchase a new phone.
    I would in a heartbeat, but I dislike phones without full qwerty keyboards.

Unfortunately, BB is one of the few companies that still offers that, so I'm stuck with this thing.
    01-03-12 11:22 PM
    Hold down the button with the blackberry logo and see what apps are running, there has to be something constantly running, I know they have battery issues but yours seems excessive..
    Alright, you're going to have to bear with me here. I'm pretty technology handicapped (seriously).

When I hold down the BB logo button, I get the following:

Home
    BatteryPlus
    Setup
    Phone
    Crush The Zombies (game)
    Clock
    Nobex Radio
    Google Maps
    Ultimate Maps
    Browser
    BB Messenger

Is this list fairly normal or not?
    01-03-12 11:25 PM
    Alright, you're going to have to bear with me here. I'm pretty technology handicapped (seriously).

Home
    BatteryPlus
    Setup
    Phone
    Crush The Zombies (game)
    Clock
    Nobex Radio
    Google Maps
    Ultimate Maps
    Browser
    BB Messenger

WOW.
    That is probably why you're battery is like that.
    You need to properly close every single application you aren't using or your battery life will be horrible like you're experiencing.
    01-03-12 11:27 PM
    that sucks your having issues with the battery. alot of folks have had this issue and even today others posting regarding battery performance. if you search this you will find all the tips that some are using to get reasonable performance out of there 9900 battery.

here is a pic of my battery performance for a couple days.
    Nope, no way could mine do that.

I won't get more than 3 hours out of it if I use it (sparingly).
    01-03-12 11:27 PM

Home
    BatteryPlus
    Setup
    Phone
    Crush The Zombies (game)
    Clock
    Nobex Radio
    Google Maps
    Ultimate Maps
    Browser
    BB Messenger

from my experience that is alot of things left open.
    01-03-12 11:29 PM
    Close those apps man!!
    And try to use wifi when available, it helps the battery very much.
    01-03-12 11:30 PM
    Okay, so I can close the zombie game, Google maps, Ultimate maps and Nobex radio.

Everything else I can't close.
    01-03-12 11:33 PM
    Lmao at your opened applications!
    Here is my list, and it will be pretty the same for many out there.
    Click to view quoted image
    Your screen looks way different than mine.

How do I close the browser, clock, messages and so on?
    01-03-12 11:36 PM

Home
    BatteryPlus
    Setup
    Phone
    Crush The Zombies (game)
    Clock
    Nobex Radio
    Google Maps
    Ultimate Maps
    Browser
    BB Messenger

I just browsed through this thread and after seeing this I'd say your making your self hate this phone on your own. I know its a blackberry and their meant for multitasking BUT the 9930/9900 isn't ready to be loaded with apps. You have alot running. Try deleting until someone releases a OS that can handle it. Or buy that double lined charger that let's you charge 2 blackberry batteries at the same time

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-12 11:41 PM
    I just browsed through this thread and after seeing this I'd say your making your self hate this phone on your own. I know its a blackberry and their meant for multitasking BUT the 9930/9900 isn't ready to be loaded with apps. You have alot running. Try deleting until someone releases a OS that can handle it. Or buy that double lined charger that let's you charge 2 blackberry batteries at the same time

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Trust me, it wasn't my intention to have a bunch of stuff running that is sucking power without me knowing it.

When I want to close something, like a game, I would just hit the back button and the game would go away. I didn't know it was still running until someone pointed it out here. Now that I know I have to purposefully close them to get them to stop running, I will do that from now on.
    01-03-12 11:46 PM

From within any application, hit the menu button, and then scroll all the way down. The last option should say close.
    01-03-12 11:46 PM

Home*
    BatteryPlus
    Messages*
    Options
    Setup
    Phone*
    Crush The Zombies (game)
    Clock
    Nobex Radio
    Google Maps
    Ultimate Maps
    Browser*
    BB Messenger*

I put an * next to the items in your app list that you can't close. These are always open unless you uninstall. But don't do that. Only uninstall BBM.

I underlined the ones that are probably killing your battery. Battery plus and google maps are most likely the number 1 apps destroying your battery. Battery apps do nothing but run and use your memory/battery because they are always running/monitoring your device.
    01-03-12 11:50 PM
    To close an app, not leave it running in the background hold the back button and not the red hang up button. Some apps always run... but if you close it by holding the back button it wont actively run, so to speak... what I mean is if you have an auto update website running and close with the back button it will essentially stop running the app.
    01-03-12 11:50 PM
    When you are done with any app hold the back button, this should be a habit of any BlackBerry user.
    01-03-12 11:54 PM
    Interesting. Thanks for the information so far.

I'll be sure to update tomorrow (or later this week) as to if it made any difference at all or not.
    01-04-12 12:04 AM
    Also - adjust your screen brightness down to 10%. That's brighter than a 97xx @ 80% and doing so will slow down battery consumption dramatically as well.

In summary:

Never keep more than your 5 basic apps running - reduce screen brightness, remove social feeds if not required and you should see a 24 hour day with one battery...I do now - and even more sometimes.
    01-04-12 12:12 AM
    I also would love to know how do you close out the native alarm clock app? I can't seem to figure that out? Or do I have to delete it?

Thanks,
    Arlene
    01-04-12 01:10 AM
    I also would love to know how do you close out the native alarm clock app? I can't seem to figure that out? Or do I have to delete it?

Thanks,
    Arlene
    BlackBerry button, scroll down to close, click and done.
    aming63 likes this.
    01-04-12 01:12 AM
    BlackBerry button, scroll down to close, click and done.
    Opps...I meant the special alarm clock I purchased?? They both look identical I guess that is one app that Im going to have to delete if I don't want it running? I have tried closing it out and it still shows as running
    01-04-12 01:17 AM

The browser, meassages, BBM, phone, and home will always be in the app switcher and cannot be closed. For all the rest, click the BB/menu key and scroll to Close and close your apps that way. Or, do a battry pull.
    01-04-12 02:51 AM
    I put an * next to the items in your app list that you can't close. These are always open unless you uninstall. But don't do that. Only uninstall BBM.

I underlined the ones that are probably killing your battery. Battery plus and google maps are most likely the number 1 apps destroying your battery. Battery apps do nothing but run and use your memory/battery because they are always running/monitoring your device.
    Google can be closed, FYI.
    01-04-12 02:54 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD