My bold 9900 was stolen on Sunday and I have installed blackberry protect, unfortunately the system has bugs that let people use you stolen blackberry.

Also sometimes the location is useless because in my case it shows me an accuracy of 3000 meters. Too much to locate easily this blackberry.

I have think of some new features that could help people recover their stolen blackberrys more easily here are the new features.

1- Store your blackberry ID and password in some place inside the memory that even if you wipe out everything or reinstall OS the bold will still keep this information. You will have to know the password of the stored blackberry ID to enter a new blackberry ID.

2- Block directly the blackberry PIN on the blackberry servers so that no one could use BBM the most used feature in a blackberry mobile phone. You could lock or unlock the PIN of your registered blackberry protect phone.

3- Review all the BBM contacts directly associated to the PIN of your blackberry. This way if some one stole your blackberry you could see the contacts that are associated to this phone, this could be helpful when a close person stole your blackberry. Also you could see the complete name and email of the people that stole the blackberry.

4- Option to select send an email when your blackberry was located. After my bold was stolen they turn off the bold and it was not until 4 hours after that they have turn it on. Right now you have to enter multiple times to the website to see if they have turn on the phone to locate it, Also it could be great that you receive via mail the location of the phone. For example I have an iphone that was stolen and I got an email saying that the phone was located, but after I access the page I could not see the phone because they have deleted the option to locate the iphone.

If you have any ideas to locate this bold or if you have any ideas to have a better blackberry protect web page please post them here.
    03-26-12 02:18 PM
    If you have a password set they can't use your BB... Also BB protect isn't supposed to prevent use of the phone.
    BearSnout likes this.
    03-26-12 02:21 PM
    Dumb thread. Close it.
    BearSnout likes this.
    03-26-12 02:32 PM
    Will BB Protect work with BES?
    03-26-12 02:42 PM
    If you have a password set they can't use your BB... Also BB protect isn't supposed to prevent use of the phone.
    But if they wipe out the bold OS they could use it.

Is there a way that some one without the password could reinstall the OS and use it?
    03-26-12 02:44 PM
    Dumb thread. Close it.
    It was so fast your reply that it looks like you want to protect blackberry always. Do you work for RIM?
    03-26-12 02:47 PM
    It was so fast your reply that it looks like you want to protect blackberry always. Do you work for RIM?
    Blackberry Protect is both "Free" and "Extremely Useful". Dont you think the title of the thread is waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy overboard?

No, I dont work for RIM, or RIMM. But I do think my response was just as fair as the OP starting this thread.
    03-26-12 02:54 PM

If you have any ideas to locate this bold or if you have any ideas to have a better blackberry protect web page please post them here.
    Just keep trying to locate it. The 3km accuracy is just from cell site triagulation. It may take a few attempts for the GPS to lock on and give an accurate position. If it is inside, it may never get a GPS location.

If they are using your phone and making calls, the police can probably trace the calls to help find out where it is. If they put another sim card into your phone, they will need to log into your BlackBerryID to use the phone or they will get a number of wrong attempts until it does a security wipe. From there you probably loose the Protect Location services.

You should report it stolen to the police and your carrier in case they are making very expensive long distance calls. The carrier can lock it out from the cellular system or you can use protect to lock out the phone. If you have any personal or financial info on it, you should use Protect and wipe it. At this point the phone will work with a new sim after a security wipe, so you need the carrier to block the ssid. I don't know how you contact RIM to block the pin so the phone is useless.
    Last edited by robsteve; 03-26-12 at 03:09 PM.
    03-26-12 03:06 PM
    Will BB Protect work with BES?
    No, Protect features and more are already built into BES, no need for an app.
    03-26-12 04:13 PM
    But if they wipe out the bold OS they could use it.

Is there a way that some one without the password could reinstall the OS and use it?
    So your recommendation is that if the pw is unknown the device can never be used again....
    03-26-12 04:39 PM
    I think no security program will out smart the good will of people. What I found from my experience is if the lost item was found by a good person, you will get it back one way or another. If not, you won't. One of my friend's BlackBerry was lost and he didn't even search for it. He had the on screen message when locked turned on. A person call him saying he found his phone on the phone. He went there and pick it up the next day.

My mom lost her degree certificate and few certificates in a large file on the bus and she never got it back. She had to pay for the university to get it back. The ONLY thing who ever found it had to do was to return to the university or transit drop box!!!!
    03-26-12 04:45 PM
    So your recommendation is that if the pw is unknown the device can never be used again....
    I was asking not making any recomendation.

The best would be that if you lost your main password you could not reinstall the OS or wipe it if you don't go directly to your phone carrier and show your ID or an invoice showing that you are the original owner.

I think that mobile companies gain a lot of money when people lost their phones or get stolen, they could build inside every phone more security features.

If I don't find the phone this week I will go to my carrier with the imei to block it forever.
    03-26-12 05:23 PM
    I have tried every which way to remove the password by wiping with the command line utility, doing a factory reset...security wipe, etc...with and without the BES.

I can't bypass or eliminate the password, so I'd say yes...if the password is unknown, you're SOL and might as well wipe your azz with it.

@ the OP...using BB protect, once you send the "kill" command - it wipes your BB...and since you have not setup password access to the device; you have already enabled the "let people use your stolen blackberry" feature, as you put it.

BB protect sill requires the user to use some sort of security - so if you're not going to install at least some type of protection (password) - you can't more from RIM. A password would have prevented most unauthorized use of your phone, or all, if you set up the password security that way.

If you setup password lock (5 tries with a short timeout) and you lose the device, it's really useless to anyone - except to make or receive calls, which again, can be killed in seconds by calling your carrier, or by setting the security so that nothing can be used.

PIN's are NOT transmitted during calls - so your suggestion won't work.

10 unsuccessful attempts (or whatever you have set password lock to) to break the password will wipe the device - so, really, there's no issue. The only issue is you haven't setup a password lock.

Forget about locating a phone using any type of GPS or cell location...you have as much chance of recovering a stolen phone as finding stolen or lost money. I hope that's not why you installed BB protect.
    03-26-12 06:23 PM
    I was asking not making any recomendation.

The best would be that if you lost your main password you could not reinstall the OS or wipe it if you don't go directly to your phone carrier and show your ID or an invoice showing that you are the original owner.

I think that mobile companies gain a lot of money when people lost their phones or get stolen, they could build inside every phone more security features.

If I don't find the phone this week I will go to my carrier with the imei to block it forever.
    You can't install a new OS if you don't have the password...you can't do anything if you don't know the password. You should have already gone to the carrier, because now, you're responsible for all calls and data usage. No one needs to build more security for stolen phones; there's enough already, you just need to use your head and USE the security they built in already.
    03-26-12 06:26 PM
    I have tried every which way to remove the password by wiping with the command line utility, doing a factory reset...security wipe, etc...with and without the BES.

I can't bypass or eliminate the password, so I'd say yes...if the password is unknown, you're SOL and might as well wipe your azz with it.
    You just get the password wrong 10 times to wipe the phone and its useable again.
    03-26-12 06:26 PM

Have you notified your carrier of the lost phone yet? If you don't notify them you may be stuck with a huge phone bill if the thieves are making long distance calls on it or using lots of data.
    03-26-12 06:42 PM
    You just get the password wrong 10 times to wipe the phone and its useable again.
    On the iphone you could disable the option to wipe the phone if you type the password wrong for 10 times, do you know if it is possible to do it on the blackberry.
    03-26-12 06:48 PM
    Nope, not possible. It's designed for enterprise security so that the data can't be brute forced. Otherwise enforcing a password wouldn't do much. Either use a 3rd party app to lock the phone instead of the native password, or don't use the password.
    03-26-12 06:57 PM
    Have you notified your carrier of the lost phone yet? If you don't notify them you may be stuck with a huge phone bill if the thieves are making long distance calls on it or using lots of data.
    I was using that phone with prepaid phone cards, in my country there is an unlimited blackberry option every 30 days with prepaid cars. The only way to get a phone like this is to pay the full price of the bold 9900 which cost in my country $780 dollars.

Also in my country you need to go to the police to report a stolen phone and then go to the carrier so that they cancel the IMEI, I will do this later if I could not find the phone.
    03-26-12 06:57 PM
    Maybe all of you could help me finding who has the phone if I post the blackberry PIN, then you could send new notifications and if they accept you, then you could ask things to find who has my phone.

Imagine that the one that stole my blackberry one day received thousands or hundreds of notifications of new users to chat using BBM that could make the one that stole the bold crazy.

At this moment I think that maybe I could find it but if not I will publish here and everywhere the PIN number so that anybody could try to chat with the thief.

I like more doing this than canceling the IMEI with my provider.
    03-26-12 07:01 PM
    If you don't get the phone blocked and listed as stolen then you could end up liable for charges for an indefinite amount of time as people have said...
    03-26-12 07:03 PM
    The purpose of me using BB protect is to secure my data on the phone. Not the phone itself. If I lose my phone, I assume the worst and I probably wouldn't get my phone back already. But at least I know my data is safe. There are kind souls who will try to return it though. Its all up to luck I suppose. But anyway I feel safe with a pw on my phone and bb protect on.

On a side note, At least I feel safe putting personal data, photos on my BB, since I can wipe it. On the contrary, I would be very weary putting any form of personal data on my mac laptop (I'm not sure about windows though), as if you lose it, even if you password protect it, your data, photos, personal info is up for grabs with anyone who has a clue what he's doing. Even if you have a password at efi level, or something like bios, the password can be removed surprisingly easily. If you have iCloud or sync your iphone to your mac, most everything on your iphone will be leaked.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-26-12 07:17 PM
    If you really wanted to protect your data on a PC or Mac you would ideally encrypt the hard drive.
    03-26-12 07:23 PM
    If you don't get the phone blocked and listed as stolen then you could end up liable for charges for an indefinite amount of time as people have said...
    They can't use more money than it is store in the prepaid cards, right now it is less than $150 dollars because every day I am monitoring if some one makes a call to see the phones they are calling.

I forgot to tell that meanwhile I am using my old Blackberry 9700, and I am not too sad because I can charge this phone all night without problems, also I don't have to restart it every 3 or 4 days because it is too slow, and also I am not worried about bricking it another time. Also the battery lasts for all day, it is great not to carry the charger to every place you go because the battery.

Having the bold 9900 has only given me headaches. Including trying to find it right now.
    I say this because it was my third bold because the bricking issues and also one day it restarts automatically after it loads the OS, I find a solution only after trying everything for more than 5 hours.

If I could not find the bold 9900 maybe this will be my last post here, without problems there is no need to post anything here. The bold 9700 works without any issues at all.

I don't think that it is a good idea to buy a new bold 9900 because all the issues I have, it is better to keep the 9700 and enjoy life.
    Last edited by lke1; 03-26-12 at 07:37 PM.
    03-26-12 07:35 PM
    What country are you in?
    03-26-12 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD