Hey all.

Had been backing up through Protect for a while. Today before upgrading OS, i used protect to take a backup copy
    Once upgrade was complete, i re-downloaded protect. For some reason, after i launched it, it automatically took a new backup copy of the empty phone.
    Logged in to protect.blackberry.com only to find one backup copy of my phone, with 0 contacts, 0 calendar entries, etc..

Any ideas if protect only takes a last backup copy and replaces any other copies you have on the server?

Please help

Cheers,
    01-15-12 09:26 AM
    Hey guyz.

Just tried to create a new backup, went online to protect.blackberry.com, and found now two backup files there.
    Do you think losing the pre-update backup is related to the os-upgrade?

Cheers,
    01-15-12 10:02 AM
    When you configured Protect on your new phone, did you have it add this device as a new backup or to restore from a previous backup? That may be where the issue arose.
    01-15-12 10:11 AM
    ninja, i couldnt find these options. In fact i deleted and re-installed BB Protect after i read your reply, and i realized that all backups were gone.
    There should be a way to retrieve older backups from the protect server don't you think?
    01-15-12 02:19 PM
    did you use the same email address to log on? i think the backups are connected to the account you're using.

if you log on to the website itself, do you see other backups?
    01-15-12 02:22 PM
    Hey Roland,

Yeah i logged in using the same email.
    In fact these are the steps i did:
    - made a wireless backup on protect (as BDM was not finishing backp for some reason)
    - upgraded the os to 7.0.0.585
    - re-installed appworld and bb protect
    - configured bb protect with same previous user password
    - for some reason without me noticing the phone (before recovering the data) backed up on protect and showed me a backup success message
    - Logged in to protect.blackberry.com only to find the last backup with 0 entries in contacts, calendars, etc...

Lost it all. My last desktop backup was on Dec.18 as i travelled without my laptop and was taking wifi backups on protect every week or so..
    01-15-12 02:28 PM
    Strange... the way BB Protect's My Data tab is set up looks like it's designed for revision history.

I've never trusted it for device swirches though, I've always backed up to BDS first
    01-15-12 02:35 PM
    Protect should always keep several historical back ups. Strange.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-15-12 02:49 PM
    Apparently there is an issue in protect. Found a similar issue in the knowledge base:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...0934&stateId=0 0 1968832338

Their reply:
    This is a previously reported issue that is being investigated by our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.
    01-15-12 02:53 PM
    Blackberry Protect is tied with your BB ID I believe. Make sure your phone is registered with BB ID. When I hit restore from backup (center icon on the bottom) it has 4 backups listed.
    01-15-12 03:57 PM
    Hey all.

Had been backing up through Protect for a while. Today before upgrading OS, i used protect to take a backup copy
    Once upgrade was complete, i re-downloaded protect. For some reason, after i launched it, it automatically took a new backup copy of the empty phone.
    Logged in to protect.blackberry.com only to find one backup copy of my phone, with 0 contacts, 0 calendar entries, etc..

Any ideas if protect only takes a last backup copy and replaces any other copies you have on the server?

Please help

Cheers,

Well i have a llllll my back ups and I've gone through 3 different devices with blackberry protect... and several os reloads and upgrades.. i think you might have asked it to create a new device instead of adding it to your old account... hep you figure it out... good luck...!!!
    01-15-12 04:00 PM
    That's really odd, and sorry to hear that. I just ised it to make a device switch from my 9800 to 9900 and it worked like a charm! But as others have said, make sure you use your BBID before trying to restore the backup. I did that and it had a lot of recents for me.
    01-15-12 04:00 PM
    I did use same BB ID, and to be honest i don't remember a screen where i had the choice whether to create a new device or add to old account. Must have probably passed through my attention.
    Anyways thanks a lot guyz. But still if anyone knows a way to retrieve older backups I would appreciate the help. Lost some important data there
    01-15-12 10:02 PM
    I did use same BB ID, and to be honest i don't remember a screen where i had the choice whether to create a new device or add to old account. Must have probably passed through my attention.
    Anyways thanks a lot guyz. But still if anyone knows a way to retrieve older backups I would appreciate the help. Lost some important data there
    The wording in BB Protect is confusing when it first runs. As I recall the options are:

Add This Device
    Device Switch, or perhaps Restore to New Device

You want "Add This Device". Even though it's the SAME device you had, that is the correct choice. Essentially you are just adding it back onto the profile.

[Edit]. Err, no wait. How did you upgrade the OS? Did you wipe everything? Then install clean?
    Last edited by southlander; 01-15-12 at 11:24 PM.
    01-15-12 11:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD