Now, this is one of those things, that you dont know how nice it is until you need it.

When i first got my 9900 i signed up for BB Protect for the of it, thinking i would never need it. To be honest i forgot all about it. Its not intrusive at all.

Yesterday morning i accidentally left my phone at our main store, where the boss's son works. I have some risque (not nudes) pics of my gf on my phone and my main concern is that the boss's son like to get on peoples facebook accounts and make either crude gay posts or just crude sexual posts.

As I was pulling in to work i realzed i had left the phone, and sure enough at that time my boss's calls and asks why i left my phone. he says today is going to be my worst nightmare because he's going to text everyone on my list and say stupid stuff. I panic for a second and consider changing my sim card to disable that one. No, that still doesnt keep him from getting on WiFi and posting on facebook, also doesnt keep him out of my media.

Then i remember i have blackberry protect.
    - I run into the store and jump on the computer, log into BB protect
    - Track my phone for the heck of it, it shows up inside the boss's store of course.
    - I immediately lock the screen from the web interface.
    - Then place a password on the device.
    - Lastly i put a message on the lock screen that reads "Stay off my phone b*tch"

He calls immediately and asks how i did that, i just laugh and say "Blackberry baby!"
    Bilaal, emtunc and gmoneyyo like this.
    03-31-12 02:42 PM
    Hehe cool story. It kept you out of harm and embarrassment then. I have bb protect too. It sure is a handy feature to have.

Hope I never need it though.
    offthahorseceo likes this.
    03-31-12 03:00 PM
    While BlackBerry protect is really good with security side of it, there are similar and better apps for protection for Androids and iPhones too. So, the BB Protect is nothing unique from my POV.
    03-31-12 03:08 PM
    1) ok Debbie Downer, i never said UNIQUE
    2) while iphones and androids may have similar alternatives, none are as seamless. I had a couple of phones with motoblur and i think motoblur sucks. i see people with stolen iphones and androids all day everyday, i ask "did you sign up for the locate me/locate my iphone feature? Most dont know it had one or if they did didnt know how to sign up for it. I dont even know why we're discussing iphones and androids anyway

And, just out of curiosity, better how? And i dont mean on paper, but in real life.
    03-31-12 03:36 PM
    Great story. Glad everything turned out okay.

I won't be one of those posters who tells you that you really had nothing special to report, that itoy and android are wonderful. Instead I'll just suggest that you always use a password (and even encryption if you can handle it) when you have pictures of loved ones, emails, contacts, etc. on your BlackBerry smartphone. Do this even if it's only to protect against infringements by the average sh*tbag prankster.
    03-31-12 04:06 PM
    Cool story, but if my boss's son do something like that with my phone I would definitely get fired cause I would freaking lose it or worse.
    03-31-12 09:33 PM
    Now, this is one of those things, that you dont know how nice it is until you need it.

When i first got my 9900 i signed up for BB Protect for the of it, thinking i would never need it. To be honest i forgot all about it. Its not intrusive at all.

Yesterday morning i accidentally left my phone at our main store, where the boss's son works. I have some risque (not nudes) pics of my gf on my phone and my main concern is that the boss's son like to get on peoples facebook accounts and make either crude gay posts or just crude sexual posts.

As I was pulling in to work i realzed i had left the phone, and sure enough at that time my boss's calls and asks why i left my phone. he says today is going to be my worst nightmare because he's going to text everyone on my list and say stupid stuff. I panic for a second and consider changing my sim card to disable that one. No, that still doesnt keep him from getting on WiFi and posting on facebook, also doesnt keep him out of my media.

Then i remember i have blackberry protect.
    - I run into the store and jump on the computer, log into BB protect
    - Track my phone for the heck of it, it shows up inside the boss's store of course.
    - I immediately lock the screen from the web interface.
    - Then place a password on the device.
    - Lastly i put a message on the lock screen that reads "Stay off my phone b*tch"

He calls immediately and asks how i did that, i just laugh and say "Blackberry baby!"
    great post...epecially the stay off my phone message
    03-31-12 09:45 PM
    Just make sure to hide the BlackBerry protect icon in a folder somewhere so whoever picks it up doesn't simply open up BB Protect and log you out of the service.

Major weakness: It doesn't require a password to log out of the BB Protect service
    chaddeus likes this.
    04-01-12 12:04 AM
    when you set the password did it give him an attempt to disable it if he knew the password? Also what if he kept entering the wrong password wouldn't it have wiped your whole phone?
    04-01-12 01:24 AM
    Just make sure to hide the BlackBerry protect icon in a folder somewhere so whoever picks it up doesn't simply open up BB Protect and log you out of the service.

Major weakness: It doesn't require a password to log out of the BB Protect service
    Ah good call there!! Just hide the Protector Icon.

- Charles
    Last edited by chaddeus; 04-01-12 at 01:54 AM.
    04-01-12 01:51 AM
    when you set the password did it give him an attempt to disable it if he knew the password? Also what if he kept entering the wrong password wouldn't it have wiped your whole phone?
    yea he actually called and asked for the password. he tried a bunch of obvious ones like "cadillac" "caddy" "allante"

i told him to try 1234 and he said "be serious bro i only have 4 tries left before it wipes your phone!"

i got it back with 2 tries left. I dont want it to seem like a hostile work environment, we do the same to him if he leaves his facebook up. ours are much more convincing as well since we try to make them sound sincere haha.
    04-01-12 11:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD