Hi everyone,

I just started receiving the message "Blackberry message memory is full! Please delete some sms messages" upon receiving an SMS each time last night. My messages aren't saving to my SIM card nor do I have an issue with memory leakage, so the problem is neither of those. I've never had this issue with my 9000, and I used that phone for well over a year and a half; whereas I just started using this 9900 in October, and just 4 months later, I'm receiving this notification. However, I do believe that with the 9000, the phone auto deleted older messages whenever necessary to free up memory (e.g. deleted the 4999th message if the capacity is 5000 messages)...I could be totally wrong here though lol

I have restarted my phone a couple times and each time I delete a few messages, the notification DOES go away, and the notification reappears as new messages are received, so it doesn't seem like the OS is functioning in a weird manner at all. Of course, the obvious solution would be to delete older messages or to set the "keep messages for 180 days" option, but, again, I've never encountered this problem with the 9000.

Anyone care to share any similar experiences or have a workaround this issue? Google search and crackberry search yielded no helpful results.

This is somewhat frustrating for a $500+ flagship phone with well over 10 gbs of free memory combined with my SD and internal memory card...other than that, I love this phone

Edit: I am running .540 if this is of any relevance
    Last edited by axis.; 01-16-12 at 11:03 PM.
    01-16-12 11:01 PM
    You keep your messages for 180 days? How many messages do you get? That's a long time to keep messages on a cell phone, try setting it to 30 days. I'm guessing here, but it could be that on the 9000 the default setting is for 30 days and so you never saw the memory fill up because the phone was autoclearing messages older than 30 days.
    01-17-12 12:30 AM
    This was discussed before and atm there is no fix.

When a few of us backed up all our sms's (over 170000 for me) from the old 9780 and tried to restore it to the 9900, for some reason the 9900 would make us delete some old messages, and if we kept ignoring it, it would delete it for us automatically.

We were on 7.0 at the time, can anyone confirm if 7.1 still has this issue?
    01-17-12 05:48 AM
    You keep your messages for 180 days? How many messages do you get? That's a long time to keep messages on a cell phone, try setting it to 30 days. I'm guessing here, but it could be that on the 9000 the default setting is for 30 days and so you never saw the memory fill up because the phone was autoclearing messages older than 30 days.
    I actually set it to keep messages for forever for my current 9900 haha. While I can't really say there's an objective or justifiable reason for doing so, it's just a personal preference, I suppose. Knowing my luck, the day I choose to delete all messages after 60, 100, 180, whatever number of days is the day I'll need to search up what someone said past that period. That, and I do have over 10 gbs of combined space free...it would be nice if the phone just used up that unused space.

I can't tell you what my settings were on my original 9000, but the deletion settings seemed somewhat random. I would have some messages from day 1, but I would also be missing messages from 3 months beforehand. It was strange, but it worked for me.

This was discussed before and atm there is no fix.

When a few of us backed up all our sms's (over 170000 for me) from the old 9780 and tried to restore it to the 9900, for some reason the 9900 would make us delete some old messages, and if we kept ignoring it, it would delete it for us automatically.

We were on 7.0 at the time, can anyone confirm if 7.1 still has this issue?
    Hmm, do you know what your settings were for the automatic deletion of messages? I believe I did read a message or two saying 7.1 solved the issue (or, at the least, the notification disappeared), but it was never confirmed or thoroughly tested.
    01-17-12 01:09 PM
    I do not think any phone will allow you to keep an unlimited number of messages.
    ILUMINATIUNDEAD likes this.
    01-17-12 01:23 PM
    I actually set it to keep messages for forever for my current 9900 haha. While I can't really say there's an objective or justifiable reason for doing so, it's just a personal preference, I suppose. Knowing my luck, the day I choose to delete all messages after 60, 100, 180, whatever number of days is the day I'll need to search up what someone said past that period. That, and I do have over 10 gbs of combined space free...it would be nice if the phone just used up that unused space.

I can't tell you what my settings were on my original 9000, but the deletion settings seemed somewhat random. I would have some messages from day 1, but I would also be missing messages from 3 months beforehand. It was strange, but it worked for me.

Hmm, do you know what your settings were for the automatic deletion of messages? I believe I did read a message or two saying 7.1 solved the issue (or, at the least, the notification disappeared), but it was never confirmed or thoroughly tested.
    Ever since I switched to 7.1, I never really bothered restoring my old messages...I pretty much just gave up on the issue

But on 7.0, in the message settings I clicked "keep messages forever".
    02-02-12 12:01 PM
    I did a quick search and seems like one person claims 7.1.074 fixed it for him...

Bold 9900 getting "Message Memory is full!" warnin... - Page 8 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Anyone willing to try it out?
    02-02-12 12:04 PM
    I did a quick search and seems like one person claims 7.1.074 fixed it for him...

Bold 9900 getting "Message Memory is full!" warnin... - Page 8 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Anyone willing to try it out?
    02-02-12 12:05 PM
    I have a Bold 9650 and i am getting the same error message. But none of my sms messages are coming through. Help please..... I have deleted tons of messages, but the error still comes through. There is plenty of memory in phone.

A little history: When my 8520 died, I did a restore to the 9650 through blackberry desktop management. Also the 9650 was (is) a verizon phone that I unlocked to use on t-mobile.
    11-09-12 06:02 PM
    I'm not sure what I did now, but I don't have that problem anymore. I believe I just updated my OS and the problem disappeared. I now have my message history set on permanent, and while it does lag whenever I receive my texts, I have every single one of my texts ever received/sent since I got my phone. Try updating your OS and hope for the best.
    11-09-12 10:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD