Hi everyone,
    Apologies if this has been covered, but I can't quite get a straight answer to a question, probably because I don't understand the jargon.

I am from the UK and am working in the US. I have a Blackberry Bold and have been told to turn off data roaming to avoid a big bill.

I need to get alerts for when emails from work are pushed to me - they have Word documents attached, but I only use the phone to alert me to deal with the incoming work on my laptop, and to respond to the sender with an acknowledgement.

I tried sending myself an email here in the UK with data roaming turned off, and did not get an alert, even though I was in my home office which has wifi.

I was told that if i turned off data roaming, I could still get alerts from any wifi hotspot, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

As I don't want to risk a huge bill, or miss incoming work, I can only think I should ask my employer to send me alerts via text. Is there any better solution?

Thanks in advance.
    11-08-12 02:00 AM
    When the phone is connected to wifi, do you see the BB logo indicating that it's connected to the BIS service? If you have changed the sim card to a non-BIS sim card, then it won't connect to the BIS Service and you won't get an alert.
    11-08-12 02:03 AM
    Hi,
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I don't see the BB logo, but am not sure where I should be looking.
    I haven't changed the SIM - it's the one it came with.
    There is a tick in the wifi box, but I have just sent myself a test email and it didn't push through to the handset.
    11-08-12 03:19 AM
    The name of the wifi network (SSID) should also be displayed beside the checkmark. It may be that you have turned the wifi radio on but you have not yet established a wifi connection.
    11-08-12 02:39 PM
    Or battery saver has turned it off consistently, if there is no connected network
    11-08-12 03:46 PM
    Do you have BES (corp) or BIS (private)?

At least on BIS, I can set up filters so that ONLY specific email makes it through. But I don't know how much data is used on the scanning/checking email?

I don't know enough about RIM's network to know whether email that's routed through the Rim servers can be collected via wifi. But you could use wifi in the browser and if you have web access to that email account you can check that way - but not automatically.

I would guess that BES can also set up some filtering.
    11-08-12 10:59 PM
    ok, I have made some progress. I have fiddled with the device to turn on the wifi for the apartment. I can now turn off data roaming and still receive an email alert while in the flat.
    Does this also mean that I can go out and get similar alerts while out and about if I can pick up similar hotspots? Trouble with that is that I have no idea if I have an urgent job in, so I think I'll just ask work to text me while I'm out and about.
    Thanks for your replies.
    11-09-12 07:29 AM
    ok, I have made some progress. I have fiddled with the device to turn on the wifi for the apartment. I can now turn off data roaming and still receive an email alert while in the flat.
    Does this also mean that I can go out and get similar alerts while out and about if I can pick up similar hotspots? Trouble with that is that I have no idea if I have an urgent job in, so I think I'll just ask work to text me while I'm out and about.
    Thanks for your replies.
    Nooooooo,

Texting will cost you a fortune, here's what you need to do.

1 reboot into safe mode to ensure all apps are completely closed
    2 turn off automore in email settings
    3 turn off download images automatically

Keep mobile network on and wifi on and connect to wifi wherever you can.

You should also set your firewall to block all sms because they will cost you, a lot, even if you just receive them.
    11-09-12 08:33 AM