Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation Blackberry Bold or iPhone 4?

Hello...

I have been contemplating switching from my iPhone 4 to the Blackberry Bold 9900. Here are my reasons why:

-I used to have a Blackberry Tour and I loved it!
    -I HATE touch screen
    -I would have purchased the Bold instead of the iPhone a while back but at the time ATT wasn't clear to when or even if they were going to get the Bold

Problems I have encountered with this decision:

-The iPhone 4 (16gb) is worth at most 270$ according to eBay pricing
    -The Blackberry Bold 9900 is worth around 435$ used

What should I do?

Sincerely, a Blackberry-deprived iPhone user
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,095 Global Posts

Its your money and your comfort level.

If you find you like the blackberry more than get one. If you feel you can use the iphone until your upgrade then do that.

Its all personal preference and its your money.

P.s. You may get some biased opinions since this is primarily a blackberry website.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    twitter: @eve6er69_chris
    CrackBerry Newbie

Well, I got my 9900 for $350 via craigslist. It was used, but MINT condition. It may be worth your time to check it out.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Thank you both! I appreciate the feedback! I will be sure to check out craigslist!
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,098 Global Posts

Try Craigslist as well....great deals!! Good Luck.
    Banned

My 2 cents for what its worth is the bold 9900 is as in the same league as the iphone 4 but since its newer its more expensive. It however isn't quite up to an iphone 4S exactly..I mean the bold 9900 has hspa+ psedou 4g which the 4 dosent have. I personally wouldn't trade my blackberry bold 9900 for a iphone 4 but maybe you can find someone willing. I'd say stick with the iphone 4 tbh it isn't your exactly tradin up by getting the bold 9900 but your still paying 100-200 more for it
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,329 Global Posts

Get the phone you want in your price range but with the bricking issue still looming around I wouldn't buy a used one get something with a warranty.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Make sure you vote! Your vote counts!
    Support the 9-12 Project
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    PIN
    2AB225C7

Sparkboy,

I'm not sure you will find a better device for phone, email, texting, and other messaging programs than a Blackberry 9930/9900.

If you are enjoying the device in regards to playing around with it, with lots of Apps, Internet browsing and such, there are other device I feel are better!

For the little internet stuff i do on my Blackberry, since i do have a home PC & Tablet, the Blackberry is my choice. Only you will know which device will suite your needs!

Good Luck, and enjoy which ever road you take

Matt
    Z10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Get a 9900, especially if you like the physical keyboard over touch. Also the e-mail is far superior on the blackberry (iphone has no dedicated e-mail address)

I actually chose to get the 9900 AND an iphone 4 that can be tethered off my 9900 to use for imessage.

PIN
    Optional, but not needed.

Said it again and will say it once more: Try it out at the store and then make a decision. If you love the apps and don't want a keyboard + touch screen combo, go for the iphone. If you want the keyboard + touch screen, go for the 9900. You've got to think for yourselves people.

If you want a bigger screen and keyboard, the 9810 is yours.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FD7C82

Had the iPhone 4s. Went back to 9930. I love the keyboard and it does exactly what I need. Plus, I love the style. Battery has been great for me. I type better and I find it easier to get done what I need. Just my $0.02.
    We don't go to Ravenholm.....
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    16,027 Global Posts

I spent several visits to vzw looking at the iphone 4s and Bold 9930. I knew I wanted the 9930, but because I have several co-workers and family members who have the iphone I wanted to see if I could even get used to the iphone. I love the keyboard and touchscreen combo on the 9930. It can't be beat!
    CrackBerry Abuser

i made the leap from a i4 to the 9930...sold the i4 for 355$ and bought a 9930 for 279$, both on ebay...i don't regret it not one bit...best BB ever...once the boredom of the i4 wore on me it was time to move back to my beloved BB...im a long time bb user also.that got caught up bc everyone else had a i4...my BB does what i need it to do and i love it...hope the company will c brighter days ahead....happy shopping my friend..
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Brit6 View Post
    Get a 9900, especially if you like the physical keyboard over touch. Also the e-mail is far superior on the blackberry (iphone has no dedicated e-mail address)

I actually chose to get the 9900 AND an iphone 4 that can be tethered off my 9900 to use for imessage.
    Blue: True Between these devices, that's all it comes down to: Physical Keyboard VS Virtual Keyboard.

Red: To say BB email is far superior to the iPhone is nonsense. If your talking basic text emailing back and forth...both are fine. Emails with photos or heavy graphic logos/pictures (IE PayPal) iPhone wins hands down! Hate clicking on download more of this email or download images on the Blackberry

Orange: You tether from the 9900 to the iPhone to use imessage?

CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by ny1979 View Post
    i made the leap from a i4 to the 9930...sold the i4 for 355$ and bought a 9930 for 279$, both on ebay...i don't regret it not one bit...best BB ever...once the boredom of the i4 wore on me it was time to move back to my beloved BB...im a long time bb user also.that got caught up bc everyone else had a i4...my BB does what i need it to do and i love it...hope the company will c brighter days ahead....happy shopping my friend..

Got bored with the iPhone then went to the blackberry?

I kid I kid........
    CrackBerry Abuser

lmao.....nice one...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,243 Global Posts

I would agree that the keyboard and the apps that you utilize most would be your biggest consideration for the 9900! I am looking at getting a 9900 also. Don't forget the marketplace here on Crackberry or on imore.com

Report back what you do!

Global Posts
    6,580 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know

In the two weeks I've had a 9900, I can't keep using it for longer than three days at a time before the sim card is back in my iPhone. The screen size on the 9900 sucks coming from a iPhone 4, the battery life I'm experiencing even with the 7.1 leak is awful compared to the iPhone 4, the keyboard is nice but I can't get some of my favorite apps that I use daily on the BB (even little things like GetGlue and Pintrest). Browsing is painful with the screen size.

When I'm doing something where I *MAY* damage the phone (skating, etc) I take the 9900 because I don't care if something happens to it. I got it to be able to properly support the operating system with customers.

If you are going to do it, get the 9900 first, and then wean your way onto it. If I had sold my iPhone I would be miserable right now.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BerryWorshiper View Post
    Blue: True Between these devices, that's all it comes down to: Physical Keyboard VS Virtual Keyboard.

Red: To say BB email is far superior to the iPhone is nonsense. If your talking basic text emailing back and forth...both are fine. Emails with photos or heavy graphic logos/pictures (IE PayPal) iPhone wins hands down! Hate clicking on download more of this email or download images on the Blackberry

Orange: You tether from the 9900 to the iPhone to use imessage?

I agree...tired of seeing people talk about bb clearly being a better email client than iPhone/Android. Very true if you're talking exchange...at least regarding Android. In every other respect I would actually say the opposite...especially using Android with native gmail account. There could not be a better experience than swiping through emails, having images auto load without "getting images" on every email. Hard to believe you got bored of an iPhone and are icing towards a bb.

Sent from my AOKP AXI0M GNEX using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    6,580 Global Posts
    PIN
    Wouldn't you like to know

I have long ago only been using my gmail account. I have it set up as exchange on my iPhone. I get email notifications on my iPhone faster than on the BB. And I don't mean a second or two - I'm talking the two phones side by side and the iPhone notifies I got an email and then anywhere from 10 seconds to a full minute later I get it on the BB.

On top of that, I get the email on the iPhone and more often than not a truncated message on the BB.

In my recent experience, BB is no longer the king of email.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    338 Global Posts
    PIN
    head

I have the pleasure of having both. My personal phone is the iphone and my work phone is the 9900. Overall experience, I hate to say really, the iphone has an overall better experience. However, the 9900 is the best blackberry yet..keyboard is wonderful.
    Thanked by:
    reeneebob (02-29-2012) 
    reeneebob likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

Thank you all again, for all the wonderful advice. I will take it to heart and figure out what I am going to do next.

I am probably going to go to the AT&T store in the next few days and play around with the 9900 and make sure it is what I am really wanting, and then going from there. Thanks again!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    PIN
    Its no secret, Just ask

Your personal preference and cost options seem to be your dictating factors. I have an all touch 9860 and miss the physical keyboard immensely! Had the 9930 been available with my carrier at the time of my last upgrade, there would have been absolutely no hesitation what so ever. I open my desk drawer on a regular basis debating whether its worth downgrading to OS5 in order to have the keyboard until the BB10 devices are released. For what it's worth, I have also purchased an iPhone 4 which remains in the saddlebag of my bike strictly as an mp3 player .
    Posted using my Playbook 64gb

If you're gonna live life by your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn { Crue }
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    317 Global Posts

Priority:
    Work -9900
    Play-iphone
    Regardless of what ppl say, Those who have used both will agree it all comes down to that.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by guzprom View Post
    Priority:
    Work -9900
    Play-iphone
    Regardless of what ppl say, Those who have used both will agree it all comes down to that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast