Hi,
    I can pick any service provider when I am going to buy this phone... The only question is, in your experience Canadian service providers, which one is better in Western Canada (especially Calgary area)?

I found that Telus has service problems in UofC campus, but if Telus is better in other areas, I will go with them again. How about Rogers?

NOTE to Admins: I am not sure if I posed this thread on the right section. I am sorry if I posted in the wrong section and you guys can move anytime.

THANK YOU.
    05-03-11 09:05 AM
    I can't speak for the western part, but I've been with Rogers ever since I came to Montreal for the past 4 years now and their service coverage is very good almost anywhere I go.

I also know (thus far) that Rogers is slightly cheaper than Telus.

My 2 cents.
    mssca likes this.
    05-03-11 03:03 PM
    Will the 9900 come to Rogers?
    05-03-11 06:28 PM
    Go with Rogers as they have better customer service they offer good retention plans and they have edge + 3G network. While telus has a 3G network only and CDMA. My friends at telus have complained about dropped calls on their 9700s.
    mssca likes this.
    05-03-11 07:11 PM
    With all factors being equal (coverage, pricing, service, etc...), I'd go with Rogers simply because of the EDGE network. It is very useful for when you'll be away from a charger for a while. It significantly extends your battery life. My phone idles on EDGE at around 0.3% an hour.
    mssca likes this.
    05-03-11 07:26 PM
    Well, if having the EDGE option is an edge, then definitely go with Rogers.

So many times I'd forget to recharge my phone overnight and as soon as I switch to EDGE, the battery lasts all day.
    mssca likes this.
    05-03-11 07:51 PM
    I have had bad experiences with Rogers. Terrible customer service and being charged for things that I wasn't supposed to. I'm with Telus now and they are better than rogers

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    mssca likes this.
    05-03-11 08:05 PM
    They are both trashy companies but I say go with Rogers.
    05-03-11 08:10 PM
    I'm on the West Coast and for me Rogers coverage is way better than Telus ever was. I used to drop calls all the time. Also,I had some of the worst fights with Telus customer svc (and so have many others I know), whereas Rogers has been excellent. If you call Telus for any help, be prepared to hold for AGES and get an overseas rep who you cannot understand.....very frustrating.
    mssca likes this.
    05-03-11 08:15 PM
    In the West coast of Canada, Fido and Rogers are the two best carriers ;p
    mssca likes this.
    05-03-11 08:47 PM
    +1 for Rogers. Having had Fido, Telus, a smaller carrier and Rogers phones in the past. Rogers wins out for overall customer service and coverage. Their retention plans are nice as well which is a bonus.

On another note.. have any of you Rogers customers seen a new "Waitlist" button under the Overview portion of myRogers when your in your account (or was this button always there?). I haven't seen this button previously and have been on my account every couple days in the last month. When you click it, it shows "Blackberry QMD 2011" no phones on the list YET though (although this morning it was showing 2 colours for the 8520... Random). Thought it was interesting considering it appeared today.. shortly after the BB 9900/9930 announcement.

Can anyone confirm if they have previously ever seen this Waitlist button?
    Last edited by LeoM1989; 05-03-11 at 09:34 PM.
    mssca likes this.
    05-03-11 09:31 PM
    Rogers all the way.
    05-03-11 11:26 PM
    Will the 9900 come to Rogers?
    Of course it will. Rogers is the flagship carrier for the world when it comes to RIM phones. They are always the first to get new Blackberries.
    mssca likes this.
    05-03-11 11:31 PM
    Rogers is the flagship carrier for the world when it comes to RIM phones.
    Is that the 'world' that only includes Canada and the USA... or the 'real' world?

05-03-11 11:37 PM
    Rogers. 100%.

05-04-11 12:22 AM
    Is that the 'world' that only includes Canada and the USA... or the 'real' world?

The real world IS Canada and the USA!
    05-04-11 12:54 AM
    THANK YOU all of you... I will go with Rogers... as far as cutomer service, I don't think any one of them is better.

For some reason after clicking Thanks for several posts here, I cannot click Thanks again... I wonder why?
    05-04-11 12:59 AM
    Great advice from people. It is convenient to have EDGE. But to answer your question, I find that Calgary has the best reception with TELUS. I find that a lot more people in BC are with Rogers and Bell and Ontario is surrounded by Bell and Rogers folks.

Rogers probably has the best coverage around the country though. Why don't you ask some of your friends on campus (U of C) and see what they think. I guess it really depends on your preference. Personally, one of the guys in the office has had a horrible experience with Telus while another has had a great experience with them. I find Rogers to have excellent customer service and they're open 24/7 whereas Telus and Bell close earlier.

Good luck!
    mssca likes this.
    05-04-11 09:26 PM
    from what i know and hear from people Rogers is the best one for Canada.
    05-04-11 10:09 PM
    Great advice from people. It is convenient to have EDGE. But to answer your question, I find that Calgary has the best reception with TELUS. I find that a lot more people in BC are with Rogers and Bell and Ontario is surrounded by Bell and Rogers folks.

Rogers probably has the best coverage around the country though. Why don't you ask some of your friends on campus (U of C) and see what they think. I guess it really depends on your preference. Personally, one of the guys in the office has had a horrible experience with Telus while another has had a great experience with them. I find Rogers to have excellent customer service and they're open 24/7 whereas Telus and Bell close earlier.

Good luck!
    Thank you... for some reason, I can't click on Thanks button (it is gone from posts for me??), so I would like to thank you as well. I asked my friends already and this is just a second opinion. I heard Rogers going to get the phone first and then Telus, so there is a high chance Rogers going to release the phone first. I am going to go with them.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    05-04-11 11:47 PM
    If you're not in a contract right now, i'd take a look at Mobilicity or one of the other upstarts. I only stay with Rogers now because I'm on a contract and have been able to get decent retention plans.
    mssca likes this.
    05-05-11 05:24 AM
    Go with Rogers as they have better customer service they offer good retention plans .
    What do you mean by retention plans? Thanks
    05-05-11 11:35 AM
    +1 for Rogers. Having had Fido, Telus, a smaller carrier and Rogers phones in the past. Rogers wins out for overall customer service and coverage. Their retention plans are nice as well which is a bonus.

On another note.. have any of you Rogers customers seen a new "Waitlist" button under the Overview portion of myRogers when your in your account (or was this button always there?). I haven't seen this button previously and have been on my account every couple days in the last month. When you click it, it shows "Blackberry QMD 2011" no phones on the list YET though (although this morning it was showing 2 colours for the 8520... Random). Thought it was interesting considering it appeared today.. shortly after the BB 9900/9930 announcement.

Can anyone confirm if they have previously ever seen this Waitlist button?
    I just noticed that I had the waitlist button but it's listing the Curve 8520 under Blackberry.
    05-05-11 11:38 AM
    I just noticed that I had the waitlist button but it's listing the Curve 8520 under Blackberry.
    I can only assume that when they add a 'coming soon' advertisement for the 9900 on their website it will be listed in that menu... Hopefully any day now *wishful thinking*. It seems the button was put there to allow people to reserve the 2011 BB's... The list just hasn't been updated yet.
    05-05-11 11:52 AM
    In coverage:

BC = about the same
    Alberta = Telus/Bell
    Sask = Rogers
    Manitoba = Telus/Bell
    Ontario = Rogers
    Quebec = Telus/Bell by a tiny bit
    Maratimes = Telus/Bell
    Last edited by sookster54; 05-05-11 at 12:09 PM.
    mssca likes this.
    05-05-11 12:07 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD