Hello

I recently got a new Android phone from T-Mobile. Before that, I had a Blackberry Curve 8330. I am now considering going back and exchanging my Android phone for a Blackberry 9900. I guess the main reason is I miss the wonderful physical keyboard (I am no good with typing on touch-screens and it just feels a little unnatural).

Should I make the switch?

I really liked my first Blackberry (had it over two years now) but BB OS just didn't seem to offer all that much compared to other platforms and specially not on such an old model. I listen to a lot of music and write/type a lot (not necessarily texts but on Evernote, emails, etc.) One of the other problems I had with the old BB was that there was a noticeable transition between tracks. You could hear the jump from one track to the next so that listening to albums just didn't flow as well as on an iPod or my current Android phone.

Does this problem still happen on the 9900? And has anyone else been on Android and switched back to Blackberry that can convince me to the same?

I am very indecisive...
    07-29-12 06:16 PM
    Came from razr maxx to 9930 and as far as music goes ur not going to notice anything to different u don't hear it just skip it plays out the song and switches to the next one like anyother phone... power amp was the only music app that i ever used the slowly faded out towards the end of the some but u will be fine as far as just switching thats up to you if a physical keyboard is what matters to you the the choice is obvious blackberry is the way to go 9900 but you are not going to have the apps you are used to having on android but it has not been a problem to me never enjoyed netflix on a 4.3 inch screen much better for tablets.. the 9900/9930 is a better phone to me its not about specs and huge size it works as a phone and is not slow the browser is good and has good signal its nothing like ur 8330 was

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by carter17; 07-29-12 at 10:48 PM.
    07-29-12 10:43 PM
    go for bb, its the daddy of all the phones.
    07-29-12 10:48 PM
    I have played with all types of phones and for me nothing compares to a BlackBerry. Especially if you are into email and anything that involves typing. Best communication device in the planet still.
    Leopard78OL likes this.
    07-29-12 10:53 PM
    its good for all the emails and texting but not music i think...
    i don't think its related to OP question but i have been waiting for bb 9900 to fix their bluetooth music bugs for like sometime but they still didn't fix it yet...
    07-29-12 11:00 PM
    Music quality on the 9900 isn't all too good. Although I used a Galaxy S w/ Voodoo enhancements + custom iems so I may scrutinize much harder than the average BB user.
    07-30-12 12:07 AM
    its good for all the emails and texting but not music i think...
    i don't think its related to OP question but i have been waiting for bb 9900 to fix their bluetooth music bugs for like sometime but they still didn't fix it yet...
    What music bug over bluetooth are you referring to?
    07-30-12 02:30 AM
    I do find music playing on the BB not too bad. Its not the best, but its not that bad. For the best music player phone, i feel that its still the iPhone. The fade out and fade in option on the iphone is nice, ensuring you don't have a moment of silence at all.

But a music player that can do typing and editing text awesomely, that would still be the BB. I use Endomondo sports tracker almost everyday while i'm jogging, with music playing at the same time. I can even reply to text, and IMs while doing that.
    07-30-12 05:00 AM
    But a music player that can do typing and editing text awesomely, that would still be the BB. I use Endomondo sports tracker almost everyday while i'm jogging, with music playing at the same time. I can even reply to text, and IMs while doing that.

If I did that lot while jogging I would end up flat on my face
    07-30-12 06:39 AM
    Not an audiophile but I like nice sound quality... BBs' frequency response is just horribe, there is a significant, horrible, inhumane and very noticeable cutoff at around 60-70Hz AND 2kHz IIRC; may be it's internal DAC and/or filters, but this is manufacturer dependent; some other phones might do the same. This gets way worse if you hook it up to a car equipped with a sub-woofer or a nice pair of headphones.

But since I own an iPod Classic, there's no reason for me to listen music on any phone.

As a current Android user (Motorola Defy with CM7.1) I find most android phones having much much much better freq response and the Android's EQ it's one of the best I've seen. But I'm still thinking on going back to BB just for the keyboard too.

Not trying to disappoint you, you can always try before you buy
    08-01-12 11:07 AM
    i always switch back to bb. android/iphone its all about apps, but i cant be without the bb keyboard. bb bold 9900 its great and bb have most of the apps i need. if u can just wait until bb 10 is out. just 5 more months.
    08-01-12 12:15 PM
    Interesting....
    As an Audiophile, I find the sound quality of the 9930 to be pretty good. I encode everything in AAC, maybe that has something to do with it. I also have a Motorola Photon 4G. I prefer the sound from the Berry. Having said that, I think all these portable devices sound gawd awful when piped through a sound system. Ear speakers are forgiving.

08-04-12 03:15 AM
    3 reasons the new Blackberries are underrated for their music capabilities:

1) Text Search. You can quickly type what you want to listen to instead of scrolling through Albums/Artists

2) NFC. I love coming home or stepping in the office and quickly pairing it to a Blackberry Music Gateway.

3) BBM Music. I know this service isn't for everyone but I'm a happy subscriber. Never found anything better for discovering music.
    08-06-12 11:05 AM
    I think BBs are very capable music players.
    08-06-12 11:34 AM
    Not an audiophile but I like nice sound quality... BBs' frequency response is just horribe, there is a significant, horrible, inhumane and very noticeable cutoff at around 60-70Hz AND 2kHz IIRC; may be it's internal DAC and/or filters, but this is manufacturer dependent; some other phones might do the same. This gets way worse if you hook it up to a car equipped with a sub-woofer or a nice pair of headphones.

But since I own an iPod Classic, there's no reason for me to listen music on any phone.

As a current Android user (Motorola Defy with CM7.1) I find most android phones having much much much better freq response and the Android's EQ it's one of the best I've seen. But I'm still thinking on going back to BB just for the keyboard too.

Not trying to disappoint you, you can always try before you buy
    Not an audiophile, but you can her a cut-off at low and high ends? The 9930 certainly plays above 2kHZ. Listening on a pair of Grado SR-80I headphones, BBM Music sounded very good. If you use a high quality codec for your stored music, it is a good player...sounds good over the bluetooth Music Gateway. Certainly on par with an iPod Classic, unless you are playing lossless files on it. :-)

Also, I believe the issues with the music players and using headphones has been fixed in the recent .580 software update.

Cheers!

Sent from my Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    08-06-12 12:56 PM
    Enjoy having a shuffle playing the song ahead of the one ur listening too and blackberry not addressing this issues but besides seeing the right song ur listening too. The nfc to gateway hookup is cool but I don't know if I can even recommend a bold with this music player issue. This is major.

Check out a few threads on this as other people started them and I'm trying to keep them alive as I guess most people would just listen to music on their ipods rather than gettong blackberry to address this issue
    08-06-12 04:22 PM
    The only thing I miss of the iPhone. I have two iPods(classic, nano(5th gen)), but I always find myself listening to my 9900. It's not a bad music player, it works. I really like using my 9900 with my Motorola S10's. One thing I think BlackBerry tops all on is you can change tracks by press and holding the volume +/- buttons. I don't know any other devices that do that.
    08-14-12 12:15 AM
    Blackberry Bold 9900 is a nice mobile phone and Android is a most popular OS which support so many applications including powerful Music players. I am always go with android phone because it allows lots of applications.
    08-14-12 07:35 AM
    I have to disagree on Blackberries being good in music. They are almost always too soft when they are plugged into speakers of any kind, and even if they aren't, they never have enough fidelity. If I want to listen to music, it's my Ipad or my Iphone. Then again I don't really think Blackberries were ever known to be good audio devices...but that's fine, they serve different needs.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    08-14-12 07:45 AM
    Just totally distraught with this bold that I'm thinking of just paying out my contract and go back to my virgin paygo curve. At least that phone could tell me the song I'm currently listening too. I dunno what to do but this music player they have included in the 9930 is a fn joke

08-15-12 08:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD