Hello all,

In recent months my BlackBerry Bold 9900 has been getting really hot and the screen turns off while I'm in the middle of something. I notice the screen sort of flickering and it has been getting worse. This occurs, especially, when the phone is in direct sunlight. I've also noticed two small wholes on the bottom of the screen that seem like they were burned through. They can't be cracks because I've had a screen protector on since day one. When I'm playing a game, especially, the screen will just turn off for a few minutes until the phone has cooled down. Is this a memory card issue? A Battery issue? The screen's issue? I am currently running OS 7.1.0.402, but I don't think the OS could do that. I would really appreciate any and all help. Thank you.
    05-21-12 03:58 PM
    Never seen or heard of that before...you probably need to take it in for exchange. It will get hot in direct sunlight, as will anything, on or off, but under normal use? It should not run hot..it may get warm while on the phone for extended periods, but not hot the way you've described it here. You asked if it's a battery issue - have you pulled the battery out to see if it's hot? That type of heat should kill your charge quickly, does it? Start with that...as maybe it is only a battery issue, but even if it is, your device sounds like it needs a replacement.
    05-21-12 04:14 PM
    my first 9900 had the same problem and i wud have to put it against an aircon or fan to cool it and the screen would come back on immediately. i suggest you get it swapped. theres no fix for it. i tried different OS's and realised its not cooling fast enough

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using crackberry forum app
    05-21-12 08:05 PM
    Spoke with Tech Support from Sprint about my Bold occasionally overheating while being idle. there is no current fix for this issue and according to her it seems like its from a bad batch of production and just have to keep swapping phones till one doesn't run hot.

I'm on my second brand new bold since i got it when it first came out...The tech opened another ticket for me to get this bold replaced at the store this week.

Also had the battery replaced and it still runs hot...had a store employee tell me it "doesn't get enough heat disbursement" when in my pocket.

at this point i am at whits end with several annoying issues relating to the phone. don't know what to do anymore.
    05-21-12 10:38 PM
    Same here...
    Overheat while in/out call, browsing...
    No apps installed, not even feeds, news, poscast... Use only mails and calls.
    It is very anoying...
    05-21-12 11:13 PM
    I have had this phone for about 7 months and this began happening to me too within the last 3 months! i will probably most likely have to get it exchanged. It's really disappointing for such a supposedly high end phone. I think it's a battery problem. The first time it got really hot i was updating What's App and it froze on me so i did a hard restart. I had to let it cool down because even though it restarted the screen didn't come back on So i let it cool down and things seemed fine- the weird thing was i could send whats app msgs to ppl even when i was not connected to a wifi i only pay for bbm, fb, twitter...but i dont hv a data plan that allows me to use the internet on my phone's browser or for email. so i found that was odd. i could even receive whats app msgs when i was not connected to any wifi. Anyways it really annoys me that i paid a bousand dollars for this phone and it overheats and the screen blanks off esp when i need to use the phone for its most basic functions- make a call or text. I wish i had just gotten the galaxy S2 which was cheaper and more powerful....oh well i'm glad i'm not alone in this because i searched about this problem before and no one else seemed to have experienced it. Thanks for the post...more ppl can know what's going on now...
    Last edited by azimuth123; 06-24-12 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typos
    06-23-12 09:21 AM
    This is the first time I heard it too... I would take it to repair shop or your service provider.
    06-23-12 09:29 AM
    There was a thread about screens going black when the phone gets hot. The solution was a new screen.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...roment-730692/
    06-23-12 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD