And Google needs to make a Gingerbread OS with a Lollipop skin.
    I was just trying to state the point better, not agreeing or disagreeing with it
    10-16-15 02:06 PM
    I just bought a new 9900. Am I ****ed??

Posted via CB10
    10-16-15 03:45 PM
    Why would you be?

You don't need BIS to get email on a 9900 -- you need BIS to get push email from a blackberry.net address.

I have one of my emails going to the Bold I use as a second phone; I also have BBM set up running Protected, as well. Love the 9900 -- I'm jealous you bagged a new one!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    10-16-15 05:53 PM
    Why would you be?

You don't need BIS to get email on a 9900 -- you need BIS to get push email from a blackberry.net address.

I have one of my emails going to the Bold I use as a second phone; I also have BBM set up running Protected, as well. Love the 9900 -- I'm jealous you bagged a new one!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Explain to me how you get BBM and email without a BIS plan.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    10-16-15 06:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    You'll need BIS to get all of the features to work. Depending where you are, this may or may not involve an extra charge on your plan.

If you want to avoid BIS, have a look at the thread in my signature. There are a lot of tips there to get most (but definitely not all) features of the phone working. I'm perfectly happy without BIS, but everyone's needs are different.
    10-16-15 07:39 PM
    Explain to me how you get BBM and email without a BIS plan.

I'd be interested in the response re: BBM too.

As for email, LogicMail is the best solution (PicoMail is rudimentary and Shangmail is long gone), and it runs beautifully if you have a standards-compliant IMAP server. However, Gmail and Yahoo disconnect frequently, and Outlook.com's IMAP server is utter garbage. If you want to use LogicMail for those services, POP3 is really your best option. That being said, all three major webmail services (Gmail, Outlook.com, and Yahoo) still work very well through the browser.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    10-16-15 07:55 PM
    Hell why not? I still have a 9800 Torch sitting on the shelf as a backup. It has came in handy when the wife's 5S took a dump twice in the last year with updates forcing a wipe. I have it on auto on and off so the battery lasts all week still and there are still a good bunch of apps that work well. I wish that I could put OS 7.1 on it though. I have a PlayBook linked to it that runs media to the TV and the Torch makes a nice touch screen remote control.

Posted on my Powerful Passport
    10-16-15 08:02 PM
    I love the look and size of the blackberry 9900 and I'm really considering buy a good used one from ebay. What do you think. Thanks
    I have the Z10, Z30, and Q5. I went back to a Bold 9900 this month. Use for phone / text / online music streaming . But also use Z30 for downloading my radio shows faster when i am home. The Bold does all I want my phone-on-the-go to do, and it looks so sweet and amazing too. I got mine white NIB.

These darned BlackBerrys are ALL good...

in different ways.
    idssteve likes this.
    10-16-15 10:00 PM
    I'd be interested in the response re: BBM too.
    When I first had the Bold, I had BIS in my AT&T plan. When I got the Z10, of course, I didn't need it. My current plan is a shared data plan (between the Passport and Bold) with no BIS; and further, I'm told it's impossible to get BIS without going back to a much more expensive plan. To get BBM, I connected the Bold to my PC, fired up BlackBerry Desktop Manager, and loaded BBM. Bam.

10-17-15 09:50 AM
    When I first had the Bold, I had BIS in my AT&T plan. When I got the Z10, of course, I didn't need it. My current plan is a shared data plan (between the Passport and Bold) with no BIS; and further, I'm told it's impossible to get BIS without going back to a much more expensive plan. To get BBM, I connected the Bold to my PC, fired up BlackBerry Desktop Manager, and loaded BBM. Bam.

I don't know what to say.

BBM and the BlackBerry email client REQUIRE BIS or BES to communicate with the NOC. There is no exception.

10-17-15 09:56 AM
    I don't know what to say.

BBM and the BlackBerry email client REQUIRE BIS or BES to communicate with the NOC. There is no exception.
    I can tell when I have access to BIS via wi-fi: The little BlackBerry symbol comes on, and a test email to my blackberry.net email will show up. I mention this only to eliminate the not-ridiculous possibility AT&T actually had BIS activated on my data plan but didn't know what it is.

All I can tell you is when I resurrected the phone, I couldn't even find the BBM icon. I didn't even use BBM back in the day, but it's very important to me now; so thought perhaps I could load it via the Desktop Manager. I did, and it worked. As I mentioned, I even have a Protected chat set up between my Bold and my Passport and between the Bold and several iPhone-wielding colleagues.

10-17-15 10:18 AM
    I can tell when I have access to BIS via wi-fi: The little BlackBerry symbol comes on, and a test email to my blackberry.net email will show up.
    You mean you have access to the BlackBerry NOC via WiFi.

Well you have me stumped. It was always my understanding you needed to be on a BIS or BES plan to communicate with the NOC on a legacy device. BlackBerry has said as much.

kjmcl528 likes this.
    10-17-15 10:23 AM
    . You mean you have access to the BlackBerry NOC via WiFi.
    Yes, that is what I mean.

Is there any information I can supply? I'd love to see other people have BBM on their Bold devices, because I love both the Bold and BBM!

10-17-15 10:34 AM
    10-17-15 10:36 AM
    10-17-15 10:55 AM
    Yes, that is what I mean.

Is there any information I can supply? I'd love to see other people have BBM on their Bold devices, because I love both the Bold and BBM!

Just confirming: Do you have an active SIM card in the device?

10-17-15 10:58 AM
    Just confirming: Do you have an active SIM card in the device?
    Yes.

10-17-15 11:00 AM
    Yes.

Take out the SIM Card and see if it still works.

It won't. You still have BIS on your plan.

bungaboy likes this.
    10-17-15 11:01 AM
    Take out the SIM Card and see if it still works.
    I turned off the AT&T mobile network, turned on the wi-fi, and sent a BBM to my Passport. It went through.

10-17-15 11:13 AM
    I turned off the AT&T mobile network, turned on the wi-fi, and sent a BBM to my Passport. It went through.

It doesn't matter if you turn off the network. You can't turn the BIS connection off by doing that. Remove the SIM card. You'll see.

10-17-15 11:15 AM
    It doesn't matter if you turn off the network. You can't turn the BIS connection off by doing that. Remove the SIM card. You'll see.

I'm not sure what that will prove -- I already knowbim not getting BIS wuith the SIM card in because I can't get blackberry.net email without wifi.

10-17-15 11:33 AM
    I'm not sure what that will prove -- I already knowbim not getting BIS wuith the SIM card in because I can't get blackberry.net email without wifi.

You have a BIS plan still. There is absolutely no other possibility.

10-17-15 11:37 AM
    Maybe you're right! I sure would like to get push email, though, if I still have BIS. For what it's worth, My World says BBM 8.5.3.9.

I will try your experiment later, I promise -- but if I pull the SIM and don't have wifi on, what does that prove if I can't send BBM? I don't have any means of communication, do I?

10-17-15 11:48 AM
    Maybe you're right! I sure would like to get push email, though, if I still have BIS. For what it's worth, My World says BBM 8.5.3.9.

I will try your experiment later, I promise -- but if I pull the SIM and don't have wifi on, what does that prove if I can't send BBM? I don't have any means of communication, do I?

Pull your SIM. Keep WiFi on. You wil not be able to contact the NOC and use BBM - thus proving that you still have a BIS plan on your carrier's SIM.

10-17-15 11:50 AM
    OK Will do

10-17-15 11:54 AM
182 1234 ...