Okay, im having a HUGE problem with t-mobile now.

Heres the story.

My father is eligible for an upgrade on his line and i wanted to get the 9900 and unlock it and use it on my att line. NOW, from past experience all i had to do was upgrade, then the next day tell the company i was using another phone ( a crappy nokia phone) and they would happily delete the data plan off the upgraded line and wala, that was it.

BUT

Tmobile is telling me here in the states that i will NOT be able to do this, and that i am literally signing a contract for 2 years AND am legally agreeing to hold a data plan on the account for the " length of the contract", and that i HAVE to have a data plan on the line for 2 years. She tells me EVEN if i remove the blackberry off the line ANY phone i have MUST have the data plan. <---- THIS RIGHT HERE took my fcking breath away. I was like HUHHHHHHHH?!!!!

Basically, she told me this was their new policy and i even spoke to the manager with no luck.

Is this something that is new? Its the STUPIDEST thing ive ever heard in my entire life. My father said he refuses to let me upgrade if he gets stuck with the data plan.

Can someone give me some tips on how to upgrade and hten cancel the data?

PLease....
    09-12-11 09:38 PM
    The TMobile 9900 wont work on ATT I don't think.... The two carriers use different frequencies

I cant comment on the contract issue, but here in Canada once you sign a contract on a plan the plan stays the same. Some times they'll let you modify it if you add a feature or a service, but not downgrade.
    09-12-11 09:46 PM
    The TMobile 9900 wont work on ATT I don't think.... The two carriers use different frequencies

I cant comment on the contract issue, but here in Canada once you sign a contract on a plan the plan stays the same. Some times they'll let you modify it if you add a feature or a service, but not downgrade.

OFcourse the tmobile 9900 will work with att. I just wont get 3G service. That doesnt bother me. The point is, how are they going to force me into having a data plan on my father's nokia phone? Its like 20 years old..... Those phones are almost unable to connect to the net. Its a fcking joke.
    09-12-11 09:50 PM
    OFcourse the tmobile 9900 will work with att. I just wont get 3G service. That doesnt bother me. The point is, how are they going to force me into having a data plan on my father's nokia phone? Its like 20 years old..... Those phones are almost unable to connect to the net. Its a fcking joke.
    Without get into an argument they're not forcing you to have data plan on a 20 year old phone. The plan is geared for a BB and your wanting to modify the plan to suite your needs. You might have done this in the past but I guess they've caught on to these types of schemes.

Don't forget the reason that they sell the phone at discount rate when you sign a multi year contract is because they'll make the money back with the higher monthly rate over the contract.
    psiclne likes this.
    09-12-11 09:55 PM
    Without get into an argument they're not forcing you to have data plan on a 20 year old phone. The plan is geared for a BB and your wanting to modify the plan to suite your needs. You might have done this in the past but I guess they've caught on to these types of schemes.

Don't forget the reason that they sell the phone at discount rate when you sign a multi year contract is because they'll make the money back with the higher monthly rate over the contract.
    what kind of " scheme" are you talking about? It is solely MY decision whether i want to keep the blackberry or not, hence the fact that they allowed me to upgrade, and then the next day cancel the data. When a CUSTOMER upgrades, they sign a contract that they will pay for the DATA they receive whether it be through minutes or texts or web or w.e . Point is, there was no scheme involved. Its a matter of the customer doing what they want under their " rules". Now, it seems as if these fcs are getting greedy and want to impose more restrictions on their customers.

Now, i understand the plan is geared for a BB, but what happens when a customer decides they dont need a smart phone any more? What if the customer just wants to use a plain nokia for simple calls? <--- This is my problem, according the the tmobile rep she claims this ISNT possible any more. EVERY customer who upgrades MUST have a data plan REGARDLESS for the length of the contract. <--- THIS RIGHT HERE IS HORRID. If ANYONE thinks that this is in any way ethical and/or a good thing for the customer, then please, get a life.

And yes, they ARE forcing me to have a data plan on a 20 year old phone. If a customer such as my self DECIDES to NOT use a blackberry any more, for WHATEVER reason, i should be allowed to do that and not have to be burdened with a 20 year old paperweight phone and a $15 data fee.

Stupidity at its best.
    Last edited by deadspoogi; 09-12-11 at 10:14 PM.
    austriker likes this.
    09-12-11 10:11 PM

Another thing, ive never forgotten why they sell me the phone at a discounted price. Its the same reason they have offered me discounted prices for the last 10 years ive been with them. Its because i pay them $150 each month for 2 years. Count that up and tell me if thats fair or not.

Well guess what? T-mobile doesnt like my $150, they want the EXTRA data costs on top each month.
    09-12-11 10:16 PM
    I read similar cases like yours. It's best to buy the phone full price from Rogers and then unlock it for ATT. Based on the threads I read you will get 3G from ATT if your device is from Rogers...
    09-12-11 10:30 PM
    It's funny...
    - someone actually believes "customer is ALWAYS right".
    - you entered into an agreement without learning terms.
    - you believe tmo is obligated to offer you the same terms on a new contract as they did in the past.
    - modifying a contract requires consent from both parties, why is it not "fair"?
    Trpster likes this.
    09-12-11 10:31 PM
    if its such a big deal why dont you just cough up the extra 200$ and buy it out of contract?
    09-12-11 10:31 PM
    Switch carriers?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-11 10:38 PM
    It's funny...
    - someone actually believes "customer is ALWAYS right".
    - you entered into an agreement without learning terms.
    - you believe tmo is obligated to offer you the same terms on a new contract as they did in the past.
    - modifying a contract requires consent from both parties, why is it not "fair"?
    where in my previous posts did i give you the impression or state that the customer is always right? Im simply asking for advice, and/or ranting about the new policy this stupid company has.

ITS FUNNY....

-I didnt enter ANY agreement yet, so you fail at that.
    -I DONT believe tmobile is obligated to offer me the same terms, im just simply asking for advice, and/or ranting. You fail again.
    -Its not fair for several reasons which i will explain.

Say a " customer" upgrades to the plan and then gets stuck with the 2 year upgrade. NOW, lets say that " customer" loses their blackberry and decides he/she cant afford to buy a new one, and decides to play it cool and get a ****ty nokia. The company is going to FORCE you to require a data plan on that ****ty nokia.

^ If you think thats fair, you need a reality check my friend.
    09-12-11 10:53 PM
    Tmobile has gotten stupid with their rules. I asked to leave my friends line and start my own while i would be bringing 2 new extra lines and they wanted to charge me a migration fee of 200$ i said you don't have to give me a upgrade or anything just give me my own line and ill be bringing in 2 other new lines to start a family plan, and they still wanted to charge me 200$.
    09-12-11 10:55 PM
    Dude, they're subsidizing a pricier phone because they'll recoup on the backend with the data plan. That's why.

09-12-11 10:56 PM
    Tmobile has gotten stupid with their rules. I asked to leave my friends line and start my own while i would be bringing 2 new extra lines and they wanted to charge me a migration fee of 200$ i said you don't have to give me a upgrade or anything just give me my own line and ill be bringing in 2 other new lines to start a family plan, and they still wanted to charge me 200$.
    Idiots. They would have gotten 2 more people on the line yet they insisted on raping you with some bs fee. Jesus.
    09-12-11 10:57 PM
    Dude, they're subsidizing a pricier phone because they'll recoup on the backend with the data plan. That's why.

NO! Companies for years have been subsidizing phones because they "recoup" from the regular plan charges. Companies have never done this before, its the first time im hearing this.

Think about how much money companies make from every upgrade from a single line. IF you pay $60 a month, which is probably being nice, thats $60 multiplied by 24 comes out to $1440. Thats just from a single line for 2 years for only $60 a month.

Do your math, they make their money.
    Last edited by deadspoogi; 09-12-11 at 11:00 PM.
    09-12-11 10:57 PM
    Are you new on this planet? What's happened with these boards lately? Do I blame the public school system? LOL!

Just because this is the first you're hearing of this, it doesn't mean it's new. Yeah, they make big bucks on their plans, but that's what they do. Don't like it, don't get a phone. Or, go off contract.

09-12-11 11:33 PM
    Baby comes to Cb all upset he can't "trick" the carrier anymore. Baby wants advice, baby gets advice, baby doesn't like the answers, baby then starts to cry!! End of story.
    09-12-11 11:36 PM
    F1rewire - yes! And it seems it's spreading!!

yenyob likes this.
    09-12-11 11:40 PM
    Deadspoogi your an ***** plain and simple and that putting it nicely.

What your trying to pull is a scheme on the carrier and save a few hundred bucks in your pocket. One of my lines is Tmo and this rule has been In Effect for two years now. It was put into effect when I got my mom a BB pearl on this line and tried to cancel the data package 2 months later. Only reason I was able to accomplish this was because the rule was enforced a day before I signed the contract and the sales rep negaleted to explain that to me.

You have no grounds to stand on at this point to win the argument against Tmo.

P.S. Your math on how carriers make money....incorrect...try factoring in all expenses and expansion costs. The real profit is in on the add-on's like data plans that make a customer truly profitable to the company.

Just my 2 cents
    f1rewire and psiclne like this.
    09-12-11 11:58 PM
    @ OP:

You are one spoiled brat and you're a crook as well.

You want to get the upgrade for a brand new flagship phone from a carrier, then want to cancel your plan after that and tell them you're using an old Nokia?? Well why in the world would someone use his old nokia or any phone that cannot accept a data plan / internet anyway? What you're doing is very obvious that you're trying to get a freebie or highly discounted phone, they have every right to impose this rule and I am actually glad they did otherwise cheap azz people like you will always steal phones from the carriers and then say they are using an old phone now they don't need their service anymore!

You are living in heaven in the US, if you go to other countries of the world, see how much carriers charge for their monthly plans or the phones, you will laugh.

And who the he11 are you to be questioning how carriers make money??! Offcourse they have to make money! Noone gives you a service for free! And you suck at maths BTW, go back to school boy
    And stop telling people to "Get a life" :rollyeyes: what are you? 13 and just got to lean about the internet?

Seriously, I am so mad to have read your post and I wish you never EVER get an upgrade! Go pay full price you cheap brat!

I hope you will be stuck to your POS Bold 9000 for eternity you cheap b@$t@rd
    Last edited by Ralph111; 09-13-11 at 04:49 AM.
    maccauk and wing2299 like this.
    09-13-11 04:36 AM
    Well, OP - you are the one trying to "beat" the system. You tried it - they called your bluff, and now your mad? So wait another month or so and get the 9900 with AT&T, or buy a Rogers and use it. Why in the h e l l would you want to use a T-Mobile phone with AT&T? That's just stupid, in my opinion -but opinions are like rectal openings - everyone has one.
    09-13-11 06:31 AM
    funny what some people think today.
    so if you lose your phone, and not be financaly able to get a new one, in your way of thinking, you won't have to pay anymore atall?
    or if you buy a car with monthly rate payment and after a couple of mounth you are no longer able to pa for the gas, the car should still belong to you but you should not pay for it anymore?

to get a phone via upgrade is nothing else like a monthly payoff.
    09-13-11 06:55 AM
    If you want advice pay the $200 and be done with it. You know as well as I that phone price is subsidized by you paying them for a data plan for two years. They are choosing to enforce this and I can not blame them!

Grow up!
    wing2299 likes this.
    09-13-11 07:01 AM
    what kind of " scheme" are you talking about? It is solely MY decision whether i want to keep the blackberry or not, hence the fact that they allowed me to upgrade, and then the next day cancel the data. When a CUSTOMER upgrades, they sign a contract that they will pay for the DATA they receive whether it be through minutes or texts or web or w.e . Point is, there was no scheme involved. Its a matter of the customer doing what they want under their " rules". Now, it seems as if these fcs are getting greedy and want to impose more restrictions on their customers.

Now, i understand the plan is geared for a BB, but what happens when a customer decides they dont need a smart phone any more? What if the customer just wants to use a plain nokia for simple calls? <--- This is my problem, according the the tmobile rep she claims this ISNT possible any more. EVERY customer who upgrades MUST have a data plan REGARDLESS for the length of the contract. <--- THIS RIGHT HERE IS HORRID. If ANYONE thinks that this is in any way ethical and/or a good thing for the customer, then please, get a life.

And yes, they ARE forcing me to have a data plan on a 20 year old phone. If a customer such as my self DECIDES to NOT use a blackberry any more, for WHATEVER reason, i should be allowed to do that and not have to be burdened with a 20 year old paperweight phone and a $15 data fee.

Stupidity at its best.
    I can see this upsets you but trust me when I tell you that this is actually normal. I have been with Tmobile since they bought the old cingular network and their policy has always been that you can upgrade your plan in contract but you cant downgrade. And that was before smartphones really took off at all. I dont doubt your telling the truth of course. They often do bend their own rules to satisfy the customer, Im not suprised at all that you got it downgraded in the past. They might even let you drop the data this time too, but know that your of course taking that risk, your dad may want you to pay the difference if it doesnt work.

They have gotten alot more strict lately. I imagine times have hit them just as it has everyone else. Now to get them to bend the rules you have to call customer service and get them to notate your account with your agreement before you walk in the store. That it how I got them to upgrade my phone early with the full discount.

I would recommend calling them and actually telling them your plan and see if they go for it as it does give them a two year contract even if it does mean losing the data fee on their end. Make sure they notate that agreement in their computer, if they do not your wasting your time. Then go to the tmo store.

If that doesnt work I recommend joining kevin's picket of att to push for the 9900 release!
    09-13-11 07:03 AM
    i wouldnt say theyre ripping you off, theyre holding you to the contract you signed up for.

If you enter into a 40 a month contract, you should budget and expect to pay 40 a month for whatever duration you choose.

Long story short, read what you're signing up to, and dont try to rip off your carrier, stump up the one off fee for a non-contract device if you want that level of freedom
    Last edited by Donnee; 09-13-11 at 07:36 AM.
    09-13-11 07:28 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD