I was just wondering if the brick/nuke issue was still around. I've seen plenty of posts on it but the most recent one i've seen is from early 2012.
    07-19-12 04:41 PM
    I had several bricked 9930s early on, but I think the 7.1 OS fixed it. At least I haven't seen it happen on any of the devices since we upgraded them to OS7.1.
    07-19-12 05:09 PM
    happen to me last month..open new contract with t-mobile brand new 9900 6 days later blackberry wouldnt turn on completed dead no red light nottin..took it back they were dazzle that a 6 day old brand new 9900 wouldnt turn on got a new one in the box next day
    07-19-12 05:17 PM
    If you are the kind of person who needs to ask this question at this stage of the game then I would stick with 2 cups and a piece of string.
    07-19-12 10:39 PM
    If you are the kind of person who needs to ask this question at this stage of the game then I would stick with 2 cups and a piece of string.

insecurity is normal though. i too, used to ask that kind of question when i bought mine. but it still works great! i understand that the question being brought up is a sign of concerned having a phone that costs you $600 to just brick

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-20-12 01:12 AM
    Just read a little in these forums and you will get your answer.

No matter what some of these people say, it is NOT over.
    07-20-12 05:21 AM
    Does anyone know what EXACTLY is the cause of the issue?
    07-20-12 09:07 PM
    The only variable was the users. Like I said, if your accident prone stick with 2 cups and some string.
    07-21-12 05:42 PM
    The only variable was the users. Like I said, if your accident prone stick with 2 cups and some string.
    It seems to me that the OP asked a reasonable question and deserved better than sarcasm by way of reply.
    automan9 likes this.
    07-21-12 06:24 PM
    The best answer for this is that a few months back, before 7.1 was out, there were countless threads about bricking issues. After 7.1 was released, the issue seem mostly gone with a few exceptions. Most people come to CB for help and there aren't that many, if any, threads being opened for bricking issues anymore.
    07-21-12 07:27 PM
    It seems to me that the OP asked a reasonable question and deserved better than sarcasm by way of reply.

Asking about bricking at this point in time doesn't deserve a straight forward answer since this very subject has been covered wwaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too much already and is now a non-issue.

Its a circle gerk of conjecture and BS and never will be anything more.
    07-22-12 01:33 AM
    Asking about bricking at this point in time doesn't deserve a straight forward answer since this very subject has been covered wwaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too much already and is now a non-issue.

RIM admitted it themselves last year...I have no idea what you're babbling about with your 'BS and conjecture' line.

On newer firmware it has been fixed, but on older firmware it was a serious issue before ( 2 of the 9930s I helped friends acquire ended up self-bricking ). But it DID exist as an issue before...and despite RIM's promises there are no fixes for already bricked devices.

The only BS is see here is your response. 2000+ posts and you still cannot deliver a civil, constructive and reasonable response.

@Topic

The 7.1 OS has reportedly pretty much removed any chance of spontaneous bricking so you have nothing to fear.
    07-22-12 03:22 AM

Looking through forums it seems to be still an issue, although because the keypad appeals to me I'll probably still get one.
    07-22-12 03:24 AM
    After buying a 9900 as soon as att released it and watching the bricking threads develop I can only conclude many people have come to use the term "Bricked" to mean "I can't get my phone working". During that time lots of people found ways to get their phones working again in spite of referring to them as "Bricked".

I also discovered through experimenting on my own that OS7 is very different than prior operating systems and is/was not compatible with so many techniques that people used on older OS's. Then you can add multitudes of compatibility issues into the confusion and the immaturity of the early 7.0 releases caused by RIM playing catch up and releasing the phone before the OS was ready and it just made for lots of problems.

I can't tell you how many times I read about people returning phone after phone after phone because of a software issue caused by wanting to upgrade the OS because so many others here at crackberry have done so. Lots of these people were/are not familiar with OS7 and ended up swapping hardware that was fine and just needed some more patience after having an OS load fail.

And yeah, I'm positive people had more hardware issues when the 99's were introduced but that isn't what is going on now.

I think the best way to answer your concerns is to ask yourself "Am I good at technical stuff like updating my blackberry and am I able to understand a tutorial someone posted on swapping a radio file, etc? or do I need something that is more self maintaining like an iPhone?"

Its a great phone, but you will probably spend more time taking care of the software if you want to have it running tip-top all the time.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    07-23-12 08:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD