Please tell me if this has been asked before, but...

I have two 9900's on T-Mobile in New York (yes, that matters).
    One of the phones is T-Mo branded and shows 4G.
    The other is unbranded and only shows 3G.
    I called T-Mo and they said some 9900's only work on 3G. Fine.
    Yesterday I got a text message from T-Mo on the 3G phone saying that they were discontinuing all data and MMS support for the phone next month.
    I did some Googling, and apparently T-Mo has been moving some of their data bands, and New York is the next site up.
    Can anyone confirm that

(a) There are data differences between T-Mo and other 9900's.
    (b) If so, will I lose all data and MMS, or "only" high-speed data?
    (c) There is no way to convert the 3G phone to 4G

Any advice appreciated.

Otaku
    08-12-15 02:33 PM
    Well yeah there are some bands that might be different. The other thing is that maybe the software reads hspa+ differently on both devices. One might read it as 3.5G or 3G or 4G. So MMs support might be like pulling straws it might not work or it might keep working
    08-12-15 02:57 PM
    Here's what I know.
    1) T-Mobile and AT&T failed to merge: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attemp..._USA_by_AT%26T
    BECAUSE of this: T-mobile got access to some AT&T Bands for HSPA+ ("4G" or "H+") and HSDPA (3G) for 5 years. (meaning until Dec 2016)
    2) There ARE different phones models of EVERY phone (including the 9900) which have different bands (mainly the 4G mentioned above)

So:
    Yes. you could get 3g or 2G only in one of your phones and 4G (H+) on the other. That's not crazy. The T-mobile one has the bands that will always work with the t-mobile network, and the other is probably giving you (or was) 4G through the Rented AT&T towers.

TO NOTE: I have a "rogers" Blackberry 9900 running on T-Mobile (down here in florida) and AM and have ALWAYS been getting full 4G (H+) with pretty good speeds and haven't gotten any message. So since I have "THE OTHER" type of blackberry 9900 and I haven't gotten the phone you should call t-mobile and have them explain exactly what you mean.

ALSO: Say New york gets it first (and that you CAN'T use the AT&T bands that t-mobile got) RIGHT NOW.
    What THAT would mean would be you would have EVERYTHING you have now, but only in 2G speed. So YES to MMS, and YES to data (yes slow. but you have it) and you would NOT LOOSE ANY FUNCTIONALITY. so what they're saying doesn't make sense.

I WILL drop to the 2G speed come Dec 2016 (and so will that NON t-mobile blackberry) but you can I WILL NOT loose MMS or BBM or Data or anything like that.

I hate stupid customer service reps that don't know their own company's real information.
    rayporsche, ench18 and otaku2 like this.
    08-17-15 04:02 PM