50. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3G/H+

8 16.00%
  • 3G/H+ & 2G

6 12.00%
  • 2G

36 72.00%
    Hi Everyone,

So now running the 7.1.0.391 Bundle 1310 Rogers and just wanted to see what other people found as having the best battery life. I remember reading an early post which said 3G/H+ was best because it didn't have to hunt for the EDGE radio signal but now that we have the battery saving mode I wanted to see what others were doing or currently using.
    05-15-12 05:42 PM
    Keep in mind that Fido/Rogers does not have 3G coverage everywhere, so if you have 3G/H+ selected, you will not be able to receive calls in 2G areas. If speed doesn't matter 2G will always get you a signal if there is Rogers coverage.
    allsportsfan likes this.
    05-15-12 05:52 PM
    For 99% of the people it will be 2G only. It would be interesting if you didnt add the 2G only option.
    allsportsfan likes this.
    05-15-12 06:14 PM
    2G but it so kills the purpose of 3G+.
    allsportsfan likes this.
    05-15-12 06:24 PM
    it depends on which network you are using.

If your carrier does have a very strong 2G, using an option which does uses 2G will save battery life as 2G is most of the time less "hungry", it is a good "fall back". Forced 3G could be very bad for your device/battery life. I did that once and got in a "no 3G zone of the network I'm using, baaad idea .

I did use it with 0.296 and only changed manually to 3G as this made the difference between 3% to 5% "idle drain". Since Dec. with very bad OS Versions it didn't matter and since 7.1.342 I'm in "heaven" with 1% to 2% drain with almost no difference between the Networks (2G or 3G - I only have these option, but still get 7mbits or average of 5 with 3G )

The qualitity of the network and the OS-Version/no bad apps is way more important than the network technique
    Last edited by boldkeyboardholic; 05-15-12 at 07:32 PM.
    allsportsfan likes this.
    05-15-12 07:17 PM
    i always go for the mixture and IF im nearing 20-30% and i know i cant get to a charger within a few hrs i might lower to 2g exclusively otherwise im usually gd (i carry charger around with me)
    allsportsfan likes this.
    05-15-12 08:57 PM
    Most of the time on EDGE...
    My needs are not terabyte download speed...
    I do it on PC.
    allsportsfan likes this.
    05-15-12 10:36 PM
    It is so dependant on signal quality that the poll is probably totally irrelevant.

At home I get a solid 5 bars of 3G and the phone will idle at under 1% on 3G only

When travelling I always use 2G only as there is no guarantee of the quality of signal when on the move.

The one thing I will never use is the 2G/3G option which after testing against 2G only and 3G only I find to have the highest battery discharge rate.

Purfely my personal views and may not apply to others.
    allsportsfan likes this.
    05-16-12 03:47 AM
    2G the battery is amazing
    allsportsfan likes this.
    05-16-12 03:57 AM
    Ugh... I hate at&t (or maybe RIM?). I need the edge (2g) only option where I live and work in brooklyn. For some reason when i'm on 4G, calls fail and go to VM and sms's dont come in or out till i turn on and off the radio. This happens all the time. The only solution is being on 2g... but apparently att has killed that option in every 7.1 after .74... so now I'm stuck there and Bridge doesnt work on that build... So frustrated. I spent 2 hours on the phone with RIM support where they basically told me it was a carrier issue and to go f myself.
    allsportsfan likes this.
    05-16-12 05:13 PM
    Technically, for best battery life is 2G in the Bold 9900/9930.
    allsportsfan likes this.
    05-16-12 06:30 PM
    Ugh... I hate at&t (or maybe RIM?). I need the edge (2g) only option where I live and work in brooklyn. For some reason when i'm on 4G, calls fail and go to VM and sms's dont come in or out till i turn on and off the radio. This happens all the time. The only solution is being on 2g... but apparently att has killed that option in every 7.1 after .74... so now I'm stuck there and Bridge doesnt work on that build... So frustrated. I spent 2 hours on the phone with RIM support where they basically told me it was a carrier issue and to go f myself.
    Yep I reverted back to 7.1.0.74 as well recently after i tried the rogers official release for a week i actually got better better life since i could keep my at&t 9900 on 2g.
    05-16-12 10:45 PM

Yes att has locked out the 2G option.
    As far as the bridge att isn't a fan of that either but there is a work around. Go to http://rroyy.com/ota/ and download the bridge. His version allows you to use the browser as well.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-17-12 12:00 AM
    But we shouldn't have to be using 2G to et a decent battery life...
    05-17-12 03:01 AM
    I use 2G when I am not browsing the web or downloading an app or streaming music from spotify
    05-17-12 08:56 AM
    I remember an artikel that expained why the powerconsumpsion goes up when connection almost is lost by boosting the transmitter of the bb. not knowing it tru or not.. I can keep the connection longer than my android using friends..... even they noticed it.

cheers from the Netherlands.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    05-17-12 09:35 AM
    No need for a poll, it's pretty obvious, one radio on will use less power than 2 radios on(is that actually 3 since it also supports H+?) and since 2G is slowest, obviously uses less power.
    05-17-12 11:35 AM
    I use 2G mostly for maximum battery. 3G/H+ for downloading/web browsing
    05-17-12 04:53 PM
    It all depends on the location.... and will be used for browsing or telephone...
    05-17-12 07:02 PM
    Keep in mind that Fido/Rogers does not have 3G coverage everywhere, so if you have 3G/H+ selected, you will not be able to receive calls in 2G areas. If speed doesn't matter 2G will always get you a signal if there is Rogers coverage.
    Uhm I don't think this is exactly right, I test BB9900 on rogers in rural areas often and
    I get calls while in 2G areas all the time on rogers. And my phone is normally set to H+/3G
    allsportsfan likes this.
    05-17-12 10:27 PM
    Thanks everyone to date. Looking back I should have clarified the poll a bit more and asked what is everyone using for their network mode choice for everyday all around usage.

Even so, the results are obvious that 2G is best for power saving and 3G/H+ is used by a good amount of people to date instead of the 3G/H+ and 2G mode too. I'll keep the results updated in a couple of more days, so thanks to everyone to date!!!

Richard
    05-18-12 06:01 PM
    I like to leave it on 2g. I can get what I need to do on just 2g.
    05-19-12 02:26 AM
    I'm the opposite of most people in this thread, my BB's I've used including the 9900 are all locked to 3G mode only. In AUS (unlike say the US), 3G coverage outstrips any GSM coverage (and we don't have CDMA so thats not an issue)

Hasn't been a problem for me, might be able to squeeze out a little more battery life out of my 9900 if it were locked to 2G/GSM but any battery life/time gained would be lost waiting for everything to come over EDGE.
    05-19-12 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD