Hey fellow BB addicts,

So I must admit, I am a newbie to blackberry. I recently bought a 9700 then upgraded to a 9900 when I got the funds. It is from rogers, unlocked, for ATT. And I love it. Like a child. I have both the otterbox commuter and defender case for it. I check it non stop, not for any reason, but just because its rad.

But I guess thats besides the point. Basically I am looking for some advanced tips to make my blackberrying better. For instance today I found out about using quick key shortcuts on the home page to get into apps quickly (btw can I change that anywhere?). And thats awesome. So I have poking around here and didnt find a real place for best practice for advanced bb users. Like it sounds like that quickcut (name?) app is a stellar app to customize the phone. But I never really pay for apps. Also I think themes are a great idea, but it seems they arent out yet for OS 7. So I am looking for less tips like 'change your sound profiles' or what not, but some really sweet advanced tips. Like Ive seen screens with the weather and temp on the home page..

So are there any great advanced bb tips for a novice like me? I think these could be of great value to those who are new the bb clanhood.

Also sorry mods, I was debating where to put this. Feel free to move it. I wasnt sure it was a os 7, a 9900, or a general type of question.

Cheers.
    09-24-11 11:36 PM
    For shortcut help.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...iently-595752/

MyOwnIcons can let you change 2 shortcuts for free.
    09-24-11 11:57 PM
    I think one of the beauties of BlackBerries is keyboard shortcuts. You're speed at doing things as well as your productivity can increase tenfold if you manage to get a hang of the major shortcuts. Here's a guide to get you started:
    Beginners Guide to Keyboard Shortcuts | CrackBerry.com

Another thing (that is pretty advanced I guess) is creating your own themes using BlackBerry's official Theme Studio. It allows you to really personalize your bb and create a theme from scratch. It's free and you can download it here:
    BlackBerry - Theme Studio. Create Cell Phone Themes with BlackBerry Theme Studio

However, they still haven't updated it to support the Bold 9900 but in the meantime, you can create a theme for your 9700 to get a hang of the basics. Once they release the update, you can create your very own theme for your new bold!
    09-25-11 12:28 AM
    If everyone new to a BB or upgrading to one of the new OS 7 devices went to the BB websie to your new device and downloaded the user guide in full in PDF format and read it as questions come about your device come up, You will not only get good and proficient at it but you will be able to help others.

This is the single biggest mistake everyone NEW and old sometimes makes is not to read the user guide, Not the pitiful onethat comes with it but the PDF full user guide I mentioned that you can get from the BB website. If you just invested the money these new devices cost you owe it to yourself to learn as much as you can about it.
    09-25-11 12:44 PM
    Sweet. Thanks! Ill take a look at the PDF thing. And actually the 'using your blackberry efficiently' article sparked my interest to see if there are any other great blackberry tricks

Also is there anyway to edit those application shortcuts? They are super helpful!

Too bad the themes dont work with the 9900, seems like fun.
    09-25-11 02:09 PM
    09-25-11 02:20 PM
    I believe the title of my thread is "Best Advanced Tips" not 'I am new to bb what does RIM stand for' .. But thanks anyways

/sarcasm
    09-25-11 03:28 PM
    Hey fellow BB addicts,

So I must admit, I am a newbie to blackberry. I recently bought a 9700 then upgraded to a 9900 when I got the funds. It is from rogers, unlocked, for ATT. And I love it. Like a child. I have both the otterbox commuter and defender case for it. I check it non stop, not for any reason, but just because its rad.

But I guess thats besides the point. Basically I am looking for some advanced tips to make my blackberrying better. For instance today I found out about using quick key shortcuts on the home page to get into apps quickly (btw can I change that anywhere?). And thats awesome. So I have poking around here and didnt find a real place for best practice for advanced bb users. Like it sounds like that quickcut (name?) app is a stellar app to customize the phone. But I never really pay for apps. Also I think themes are a great idea, but it seems they arent out yet for OS 7. So I am looking for less tips like 'change your sound profiles' or what not, but some really sweet advanced tips. Like Ive seen screens with the weather and temp on the home page..

So are there any great advanced bb tips for a novice like me? I think these could be of great value to those who are new the bb clanhood.

Also sorry mods, I was debating where to put this. Feel free to move it. I wasnt sure it was a os 7, a 9900, or a general type of question.

Cheers.
    Sorry I misunderstood what novice means I guess.
    09-25-11 03:34 PM
    RIM = Research In Motion, the company responsible for the BlackBerry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ateela and austriker like this.
    09-25-11 03:34 PM
    Sweet. Thanks! Ill take a look at the PDF thing. And actually the 'using your blackberry efficiently' article sparked my interest to see if there are any other great blackberry tricks

Also is there anyway to edit those application shortcuts? They are super helpful!

Too bad the themes dont work with the 9900, seems like fun.
    You can't edit the keyboard shortcuts that RIM has set up but what you can do which I learned from someone is you can go to auto spellchecker and place in shortcuts there to = something so when you type it, it will automatically type that word like if you put say U it will spell out YOU thattype ofthing. If you search I think you will find a thread on this.
    09-25-11 04:36 PM
    fwiw: i'm a blackberry user for a bit over a yr now. without paying for a ton of apps, i can say that a few key apps make a difference to me, many free, and a few which i am happy i paid for. everyone is different, so: first bring yourself up to speed using bb site, full pdf, and (yes, it's better than rim stands for research in motion) crackberry how-tos areas. also search crackberry forums, post your questions. Then: think about how YOU would like to use the phone/ what makes your computer experience ( your previous smartphone) hum. read what 'everyone else' loves - sometimes it's worth trialling what everyone raves about, though often as not it's not for me . You'll quickly find those 2 or 3 areas where an app makes the difference. In my case, I knew immediately i needed a screen capture of my phone's signal (free captureit was my very first app download, second was free antenna meter.) combined, they documented downed cell towers in my neighborhood at time of BB purchase, and enabled fast fix of issue with my carrier. Then, after living w/ BB 2 wks, i realized i wanted a better way to 1.sort my inbox (trialed and bought berrymail), 2. clear as can be way to identify who is calling/ texting etc, by caller/ app (berrybuzz now bebuzz -- and there's a reason it's a top seller!), and 3. a more project management-like way to work with my tasks (SBS Calendar Pro.) all told, 3 paid apps, perfect for me. later, added a few more (1 paid), but all really took was key few to make it perfect for me. enjoy
    Last edited by cherimoya; 09-26-11 at 05:39 PM.
    austriker likes this.
    09-25-11 06:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD