Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BBM Voice Wireless Problem

hi guys ..i need you help please...I have been calling every one today on my list..without any problem...sending and receiving like a charm..

but I have a friend of mine connecting via hot spot wireless shield...and she can't make calls..she's always unavailable ...

is it because of the hot spot thing ? does she have to connect via normal wireless router.. ?

she connects with her laptop without any problems..and her galaxy s3 too ..
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by miroozy View Post
    hi guys ..i need you help please...I have been calling every one today on my list..without any problem...sending and receiving like a charm..

but I have a friend of mine connecting via hot spot wireless shield...and she can't make calls..she's always unavailable ...

is it because of the hot spot thing ? does she have to connect via normal wireless router.. ?

she connects with her laptop without any problems..and her galaxy s3 too ..
    Hmmm.
    I could be wrong and corrected, but I believe BBM7 with Voice works over WiFi only, and NOT mobile data which I believe Mobile HotSpot uses.
    MY TAKE ON THE Z10... I DON'T KNOW HOW, OR WHY, BUT IT WORKS!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

she's connected via WIFI to a hotspot sim card thing ..she's not able to describe it to me..
    CrackBerry Genius

Again, I can't be sure. Especially if you can't either. lol.
    But, are you sure it's not that she has WiFi on the connected device turned on in order to connect to a mobile network HotSpot?
    Sort of like how we have to turn on WiFi reception on our laptops in order to connect to our Mobile HotSpot (cellular data) on our 9900's?
    MY TAKE ON THE Z10... I DON'T KNOW HOW, OR WHY, BUT IT WORKS!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

well...if she was a dude she could have connected easily ..or at least describe the problem to me lol...I dunnu what to do
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

i believe madbradnyc could be rite... mobile hotspot uses network data.. and bbm voice is only available through wifi.. she's gonna have to find a router and try
    God, Forgives I Dont.. BB Abuser...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

ok that is so bad ...thanks guys
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,463 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

I think this might be a BUG. Me and my wife were using BBM voice today at work on our corporate LAN. She's gone home and now it shows both of us each is unavailable for chat. WiFi is up in both places as is internet service and our phones are both linked to the WiFi with no issues. We've both re-started and it still shows unavailable.

EDIT: Ok I see you are talking about WiFi via a hotspot. Different. But I see no reason why it is not working for us. Unless maybe RIM is having a server side issue?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    PIN
    333E330B

Default BBM Voice Wireless Problem

dont think its an issues on RIM's side i just tried a quick call and it worked fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    9530 > 9550 > 9930 7.1.0.861. > White Z10 10.2.1.1055 Playbook 32 2.0.1.1526
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

BBM voice needs certain ports opened KB33102-Using BlackBerry Messenger Voice Chat behind a firewall

Using BlackBerry Messenger Voice Chat behind a firewall

Article ID: KB33102

Type:*Support Content

Last Modified: 12-10-2012

PrintEmail Document Bookmark
    Product(s) Affected:

Smartphones
    BlackBerry Messenger for BlackBerry smartphones
    Search the knowledge base:

Visit BlackBerry Community Support Forums
    Follow us on TwitterŽ @BlackBerryHelp
    Collapse all | Expand all
    Jump to: Environment | Overview
    Environment
    BlackBerry Smartphones
    BlackBerry Messenger 7.0
    Overview
    BBM Voice is compatible with the most common personal/home WiFi network configurations.* To initiate a BBM Voice chat simply connect to a WiFi access point, and from within any BBM chat, tap the BBM Voice icon or press your phone hard key whenever your contact shows available.

Note: Your contact must also be connected to a WiFi access point and the BBM voice icon will be green when they are available.

If you are experiencing difficulty making or receiving BBM Voice chats or you have received the “Your voice chat failed due to a problem with the network connection” message a firewall maybe in place.** Firewalls add an additional level of security to your connection by permitting and denying network traffic between devices on the internal network and the internet.* BBM Voice uses the following ports and porting forwarding must be enabled for the application to work on a traffic restricted network:

•*443 (TCP)
    •*3478 (TCP)
    •*3478 (UDP)
    •*62148 to 62169 (UDP)
    BBM Voice also communicates with the following addresses; therefore, they need to be white-listed:

•*bbm.voip.blackberry.com:443
    •*turn.voip.dyn.blackberry.net:3478

For guidance on how to setup port forwarding, please contact your network administrator or refer to the documentation*included with your router, firewall, or security software.

Global Posts
    6,463 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

Quote Originally Posted by djenkins6 View Post
    BBM voice needs certain ports opened ...
    Wow. Ok count me out then I guess. That is pretty limiting since it will pretty much limit users to "known" environments like work/home where the firewall is user-controlled.

Oh well.

Global Posts
    6,463 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FE97BA

I also find it a little odd that BBM Voice needs ports opened whereas Video Chat on the PlayBook does not. Maybe future updates will improve this..
    CrackBerry Abuser

Wow - port forwarding required or open ports to the network.

Well I won't be using the feature any time ever. Not only can I not remap port 443 for example but just wow!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by southlander View Post
    I also find it a little odd that BBM Voice needs ports opened whereas Video Chat on the PlayBook does not. Maybe future updates will improve this..
    The playbook video chat also needs ports opened
    KB26816-Using BlackBerry PlayBook Video Chat behind a firewall

But as it says most people on a home network won't have a problem, it is the corporate networks and secure environments that will need to have the opened by administrators.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

It just occurred to me to check how facetime gets around this, and it doesn't - it also needs to have ports opened to work from behind a firewall. Using FaceTime and iMessage behind a firewall
    CrackBerry Abuser

Re face time - I have it running via a double NAT setup with no ports forwarded at all whatsoever & its been working since it got installed.

FT may be uPNP aware - I have never checked.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iamq View Post
    Re face time - I have it running via a double NAT setup with no ports forwarded at all whatsoever & its been working since it got installed.

FT may be uPNP aware - I have never checked.
    Did you try bbm7 voice yet in same environment? Your earlier post said "port 443, wow" but the facetime firewall help also has that same port as being required so if facetime is working its likely bbm 7 voice would work too.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Nop i'm not able to check against that specific environment for a while - I'm testing on another access point off the same network (but 1 level down) and it won't make a connection but it wont error out either yet.

And yes - port 443 is https - I uses https so can't forward it to a single device. - I will need to get a couple of my users to try and do some testing for me and see what happens. I may try and open some of the ports at home and see what happens, but even there I cant re-direct 443 for long.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

and today um facing the same problem with the normal wireless router..me and 3 other friends...does any one having the same issue ?
    it says voice chat cannot be established ! ..that's frustrating
    CrackBerry Abuser

Alas now im back home I have no error at the moment - though i also dont have any updated users to test it with lol
    CrackBerry User

This is strange...

I downloaded BBM 7, but it would not work on my wireless at home. Just would not connect and give me the "your voice chat connection can not be established"

Got to work, jumped on my friends phone hotspot (wireless) and MAGIC!!! it worked. Called my brother all the way in Canada (am in the Middle East)

after some googling I find out that i might need to do something with the router at home - something with Ports BBM Voice Wireless Problem

which is strange because this was never the case with playbook video chat.

any help or suggestion that you might have to add would be appreciated.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Here's the solution to your problem:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...torial-758164/

Let me know if it does not work.

Cheers
    BB 8900 / 9700 / 9900 / Z10 / Q10 / Passport
  23. FBA
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,426 Global Posts

Sorry but that's really bad information. There can be any other number of clients on the network using any number of DHCP or static IP's and you are telling people to choose a "random" IP address, which can wreak havoc in the network, causing IP address conflicts. That is NOT the fix and will do absolutely nothing to help resolve the issue. Blocked ports have ZERO to do with the IP address. I do not have all the solutions to this issue, but I do know this is very bad information you just posted and can cause major issues on a network. This is not a fix; it's a network disaster.

It's anything BUT helpful for anyone...it's like telling someone who's allergic to peanuts to eat a spoonful of peanut butter.
    Z10
    Steve - Besadmin
  24. FBA
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,426 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iamq View Post
    Wow - port forwarding required or open ports to the network.

Well I won't be using the feature any time ever. Not only can I not remap port 443 for example but just wow!
    Opening a port is easy and it's not necessary to forward the port either. Simply opening the port is sufficient, or opening the port and restricting its use to a particular application is fine as well.. Your loss in not using the feature. Wow.
    Z10
    Steve - Besadmin
    CrackBerry Abuser

So if I came along to your enterprise and said hey, lets open all these firewall ports (I'm only worried about *inbound* here) that would be OK?

Quote 'BBM Voice uses the following ports and porting forwarding must be enabled for the application to work on a traffic restricted network'

As per my post above I've never had to make any firewall changes for facetime to work on a double-NAT network so I don't really see why I'll be port forwarding for a voice chat app when I can just use something else.

There was even a comment above about the Playbook not needing anything for video chat - I just this this is a bit short sighted of RIM + they expect the average home user with a pre-configured isp provided modem/router to be able to configure it?

I hope one day I'm at consultant network manager at your place! I could have lots of fun with open ports and services running a mock.

I know its not a service we are going to reconfigure our wide area WiFi network cloud for, and this is with all our staff being on BES and the permitted use of BBM. These are the same users who can't connect there laptops to there home broadband networks to VPN into the enterprise so I don't hold much hope...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast