So im a current iPhone 4 user, whos thinking about switching back to the black life (old phone was a bb world 8830).

How does the bb bold touch hold up against to the current iPhone 4or is it in the same league as the next gen phones (iPhone 5)

Thanks bb world
    04-09-11 06:47 PM
    The specs of the iPhone 5 are unknown, but the specs of the bold touch are better than the iPhone 4 overall.. CPU.. ram.. etc.

The iPhone however obviously has the far better app store and is the best phone for games/apps by far.

And the iPhone 4 has a bigger screen so better for web browsing on the go, but the bold has the amazing physical keyboard but a smaller touch screen, and web browsing will be decent.. but better on the iPhone.

I personally am going to get the bold touch. This will be my first ever blackberry and I did also consider the iPhone 5 in my decision.
    mssca likes this.
    04-09-11 06:58 PM
    As the bt gets closer to being released I am sure we will see some video comparing the browser speed of bt and the iphone.....it will be interesting to see how the bt does now that it will have decent specs
    04-09-11 09:13 PM
    As the bt gets closer to being released I am sure we will see some video comparing the browser speed of bt and the iphone.....it will be interesting to see how the bt does now that it will have decent specs
    Yes, that is of course true.... however the browsing experience will slays be better on the full screen touch.
    04-10-11 04:13 AM
    Yes, that is of course true.... however the browsing experience will slays be better on the full screen touch.
    That's not true. Full touch screen phones do not have keyboard shortcuts, which severely hinders my browsing experience. Not being able to press "W" to quickly switch between tabs would drive me crazy, and that's just one example.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 04-10-11 at 05:30 AM.
    04-10-11 05:10 AM
    That's not true. Full touch screen phones do not have keyboard shortcuts, which severely hinders my browsing experience. Not being able to press "W" to quickly switch between tabs would drive me crazy, and that's just one example.
    Exactly, which is one reason why these type of comparisons are mostly fruitless. You can compare the pure hardware specs on two devices, but anything beyond that will quickly just come down to personal preference, especially with two devices that are designed so differently.
    04-10-11 09:14 AM
    On the issue of browsing experience, I still think an iphone with a beefy data plan will beat out the compressed versions of websites on the bt. But I suppose you can compensate by downloading a 3rd party browser like opera mini
    04-10-11 09:43 AM
    I think as long as the browser is close to the iphone in speed most people will be satisfied. But it will all come down to preference as far as screen size.......
    04-10-11 10:37 AM
    Yeah you can't really compare the two, it would be like trying to measure how how long red is or how blue 12 inches are. You can compare specs, but as said before it comes down to what do you prefer and how is it implemented?

Not to mention, maybe not at launch, but eventually Android apps will be useable or developed to be used on the BB platform. (or is that just the playbook) So once that happens the phones will be on a more even playing field. Yes I know apple has like a million apps, but for every 100,000 applications they have 90% if not more are useless or copies otherwise everyone would have a million apps on their phones.
    04-10-11 10:41 AM
    Exactly, which is one reason why these type of comparisons are mostly fruitless. You can compare the pure hardware specs on two devices, but anything beyond that will quickly just come down to personal preference, especially with two devices that are designed so differently.
    Right...I try to help people on here, but really...how can an iphone be compared to the Touch? Comparing ANY iphone to ANY bb with a physical keyboard doesn't even make sense...two entirely different purposes for either. How about at least comparing the iphone to the Storm 3?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-11 11:45 AM
    This is kind of a pointless comparison. It's apples and oranges. If you're looking for more out of your phone get an iPhone (larger app store, more uses, etc...), if you're comfortable being in that blackberry space then you won't get better than the bold touch for a while. As for the iphone 5 it will obviously blow it away but that's expected.

You really can't compare the two. If you're getting bored of the iphone then get a blackberry to change things up. If you're fine with the iphone then stay with it. You'll always be allured by new technology, so if that's whats happening then resist it for now and see what the future holds. But like people have said, can't compare it.
    Last edited by dooodads; 04-10-11 at 05:17 PM.
    04-10-11 05:14 PM
    Yes I know apple has like a million apps, but for every 100,000 applications they have 90% if not more are useless or copies otherwise everyone would have a million apps on their phones.
    CORRECT!
    Ten really good pre-installed apps, and a thousand well produced apps in a library are all that is needed.
    Many of the apps are site specific anyway, like banking, sports teams, weather and news feeds.
    barrist likes this.
    04-10-11 08:38 PM
    Now while I will be the first to agree that comparing an iPhone 4 and a yet to be released BlackBerry Bold Touch doesn't make a lot of sense, I must admit that iOS has better applications overall than BlackBerry. Wouldn't it be nice to stream some Netflix? Play a game of Angry Birds? A built-in weather app? A web browser that doesn't make me want to run to a computer? I don't need all of these things. They aren't must-haves. It'd be nice though, right?

04-11-11 03:11 AM
    Yes I know apple has like a million apps, but for every 100,000 applications they have 90% if not more are useless or copies otherwise everyone would have a million apps on their phones.
    CORRECT!
    Ten really good pre-installed apps, and a thousand well produced apps in a library are all that is needed.
    Many of the apps are site specific anyway, like banking, sports teams, weather and news feeds.
    to me, comparing how many useless ones that an OS has over the other is just that... useless.

comparing how many useful apps would make more sense. to me, iOS wins, hands down. there is an app for everything, literally. and the apps that both OS have, are much better on iOS.

this is why i can't wait for qnx to be implemented on the mobile devices and not only the playbook.

the selling point for BB is the "always-on" factor, the push services and ability to stay connected and almost instantly (BBM).
    04-11-11 03:40 AM
    I'd stick with what you have.
    04-11-11 01:40 PM
    not this regurgitation again. you can't compare apples with berries. totally a waste of time if you do. but the bold touch is looking good so far.
    04-11-11 06:25 PM
    Masahiro, I am in the similar boat as you are in. I rely heavily on keyboard shortcuts for everything i do. How is your experience with torch? Looking at the recent torch 2 video. I am seriously considering looking into torch 2 as well. I love bold form factor though dont get me wrong.
    04-13-11 04:53 PM
    Masahiro, I am in the similar boat as you are in. I rely heavily on keyboard shortcuts for everything i do. How is your experience with torch? Looking at the recent torch 2 video. I am seriously considering looking into torch 2 as well. I love bold form factor though dont get me wrong.
    Yeah, I'm a little torn between the Bold Touch (hereby referred to as "Bolt") and the Torch2. I've never owned a 9000 before, but I've had the Torch since launch day. It's been a great phone so far, being the jack-of-all-trades form factor. The keyboard is easy to access and allows for all the keyboard shortcuts.

Ultimately, with regards to the next batch of phones (Bolt, Touch, Torch 2), I feel the jack-of-all-trades aspect of the Torch will become accentuated. The Torch will have a big screen, but not as big as the Touch. It will have a keyboard, but (arguably) not as good as the Bolt. Essentially, it would be a "master-of-none". That's why I'm leaning towards the Bold Touch. While having a big screen is nice, I feel the keyboard is perhaps the most important aspect of a BlackBerry (no offense Storm fans). Besides, the screen is not that much smaller than the Torch2 (2.8in vs 3.17), and it would be less battery-draining.
    data77 likes this.
    04-13-11 07:06 PM
    God that would be a good comparison because finally RIM is putting out a device that can compete with the iPhone for like the first time EVER, assuming web browsing is up to snuff. I would imagine it would be because the fact that the CPU is twice as fast gives me good hope they will finally nail it.
    04-13-11 11:32 PM
    Right...I try to help people on here, but really...how can an iphone be compared to the Touch? Comparing ANY iphone to ANY bb with a physical keyboard doesn't even make sense...two entirely different purposes for either. How about at least comparing the iphone to the Storm 3?

Just compare the iPhone 4 with the Blackberry Monza/Monaco. The problem is solved. :-)
    04-24-11 10:01 AM
    Yep agreed

04-24-11 10:30 AM
    I am buying this device the FIRST day it launches!
    04-24-11 12:34 PM
    On the issue of browsing experience, I still think an iphone with a beefy data plan will beat out the compressed versions of websites on the bt. But I suppose you can compensate by downloading a 3rd party browser like opera mini
    As long as you can afford beefy data plan, I like better the way RIM is optimizing the bandwidth, even on EDGE my 9780 is pretty fast...
    04-24-11 04:57 PM
    Lord I did not even know that shortcut! Thanks! haha
    04-25-11 05:44 AM
    If you want a valid comparison, compare the Motorola Droid Pro with the Bold Touch. Same form factor with a physical qwerty and touch screen. The Bold Touch is certainly intriguing to me as it will combine the rock solid messaging and communication of a BB with the touch screen goodness I love. The biggest issue is still that all browsing will go through rim's compression servers and bring the browsing to a crawl compared to browsing on Android or iOS.
    04-25-11 09:06 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD