I am very upset with this phone. Last night about 2 am, I looked at the phone and the screen was white. It had a little image of a BB with an X on the screen and a little lock icon to the upper right of the image. It was the all-white screen like when you get a JVM error, only there was no error message. There was a little status bar counting up to 100%, which took about an hour to complete. I didn't want to turn it off because I didn't know what it was doing, but I figured it was an auto-update.

When it finally did complete - the phone launched into full demo mode, like it had been turned on for the first time. Then I came to realize what had happened: THE PHONE WAS RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULT!

ALL CONTACTS, EMAILS, EMAIL ACCOUNTS, NOTES, PASSWORDS IN PASSWORD KEEPER - EVERYTHING !!!! GONE!!!!!!!!!

Man, I am pissed about this. Before I call Verizon, or try to back it up via Desktop Manager - (and I know I will end up losing so much data because I haven't backed up in a while, but thats another story....) - I wanted to post here to see if anyone was familiar with this.

The phone is in excellent physical condition. It has never been dropped or wet. I have a very rugged case on it all the time. It was working fine an hour or so before the auto-wipe. Why the heck would this happen? The current version of the software on this phone is 7.1.0 Bundle 457. It has never been updated from the original. Phone was purchased in August of 2012.

Please let me know what I should do next. Thanks.
    11-14-12 09:09 AM
    I hope you had a recent backup as one of my 9900 units did this and there was nothing left to backup as mine was wiped clean
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 11-14-12 at 01:31 PM.
    11-14-12 09:15 AM
    Sorry to hear that

Have you recently installed a new app?
    11-14-12 09:53 AM
    Are you sure someone isn't suspicious of you and was trying to see your contacts and conversations and typed the wrong password 10 times?
    11-14-12 10:06 AM
    yeah......no the phone was 3 feet away from me all night. I made a phone call around midnight, sat at my computer with the phone right behind me, and when I got up around 2, I noticed the phone screen was white and it was re-booting. No one else was even in the same floor of the house as me.
    11-14-12 10:45 AM
    Sorry to hear that

Have you recently installed a new app?
    Nope, no new apps. It just happened randomly as far as I know. Is it the software version I am using?

Luckily I had a back up from September which restored most of my contacts, but many notes and other settings were lost. This is not how a $500+ retail price phone should act. I had better luck with my 7730 and 8310 than with these newer BB's - this is will probably be my last one. They are too sensitive now and TOO FREAKING expensive for this type of end-product.
    11-14-12 10:49 AM
    Is it possible that someone did a remote security wipe on your phone via BB Protect?
    11-14-12 01:21 PM
    This usually happens because of a policy in the Exchange Server account. It happened to me once and my wife once which we later found out it was because of an Exchange server that sends out what is called a "Kill" signal to wipe out the phone which stops to respond. I dont exactly know the reason for kill but I know this is what happens.
    11-14-12 04:51 PM
    How would someone have done a remote security wipe on the phone? I am not saying it is impossible, because anything is possible, but how would they be able to do it? What phone information would they need? I work from home, so the phone is almost always near me in the house. When I do go run an errand the phone is on my belt clip. If in order to do a remote security wipe on the phone someone needed to get ahold of the phone to gather password info, I sincerely doubt that is possible. But if they can "hack" the phone via some program or email sent to the phone, then I guess anything is possible.
    11-14-12 07:01 PM
    This usually happens because of a policy in the Exchange Server account. It happened to me once and my wife once which we later found out it was because of an Exchange server that sends out what is called a "Kill" signal to wipe out the phone which stops to respond. I dont exactly know the reason for kill but I know this is what happens.
    this phone is set up on the Exchange Server because it is a work issued phone. But oddly I am not using the exchange email account at this time. I wonder if that is the reason? The exchange email has been removed from the phone, about 3 weeks ago. I am using gmail and other web-based mail only. I will ask my boss why I even still need it on the Exchange Server at all anymore.
    11-14-12 07:04 PM
    if you have blackberry protect on your phone (app) you can log into a computer anywhere with your password and bb id and wipe the phone, was the phone issued to another emplyee before you? they could have registered the phone on their bb protect id and decided to wipe the phone after giving it back to the employer not realising somoneone else has set up the bb and is using it. just a guess im not sure bb protect even works on work issued phones?
    11-14-12 09:39 PM