Something is sapping the battery on my 9900 - it's got worse of late, especially with the new 7.1.0.190 OS. I'm quite happy to work through them one at a time to work it out, but that will take time, so I just wondered if anyone had found any of the following to be particularly battery hungry?

At home on wifi with minimal use I'm losing 8+% an hour, out and about still with minimal use it's nearly 15%..

BerryBuzz *
    BerryPopUp *
    BeWeather *
    Dropbox
    Endomondo
    Fancy Widgets
    MeterBerry *
    Google Maps *
    Google Sync
    Nobex Premium *
    Traffic Monitor
    BBM *
    Facebook * - not set to auto update
    Twitter - ditto
    Breaking News - Home screen ticker
    Patternlock
    Tapatalk
    Whatsapp
    Smartwifi

* are apps I've been running for ages and am quite confident in.

Would value your thoughts.
    Last edited by quattrojames; 01-10-12 at 02:05 PM.
    01-10-12 01:47 PM
    From what I can see, it is safe to say this is a 7.1 issue. I used to have better battery life with .585 and with the same apps, the battery life started to worsen. Went back to .585 it was better again, I swiped and reinstall 7.1 and my apps, the same worsened battery life.
    01-10-12 01:52 PM
    I was running .585/.540 last time and the battery was no better. I might try going back to .540, but the battery life has never been great so I think it's an app to blame somewhere.
    01-10-12 02:03 PM
    Go to Options, Device Applications and see which devices is eating your CPU cycles

Something may stand out at you
    deezy87 likes this.
    01-10-12 02:31 PM
    Looks like a lot!
    Yes it does when you see them all written down! I don't think that's a huge amount more than average, is it?

Go to Options, Device Applications and see which devices is eating your CPU cycles

Something may stand out at you
    Do you look at CPU usage 'now' or 'today'? Can you give me an idea of what to look for please?
    01-10-12 03:11 PM
    The question is, which ones are open throughout the day, even when you aren't using them? I know for a fact leaving WhatsApp open sucks battery. I exit it when I'm not actively chatting in it, and I still get push notifications, so I don't miss anything by exiting it.

Not sure about the breaking news ticker, but it sounds like a connected app. Shao usually knows what he's doing, so it shouldn't be bad.

I have BerryWeather set to update hourly, and that seems just fine.

A lot of people have complained that Meterberry saps their battery. I don't use it, so I can't say for sure. I use TinyMeter.

Nobex is another one to exit fully when not using it. Streaming apps kill batteries.

I'll be loading 7.1/190 soon, so we'll see how it goes.
    01-10-12 03:41 PM
    The question is, which ones are open throughout the day, even when you aren't using them? I know for a fact leaving WhatsApp open sucks battery. I exit it when I'm not actively chatting in it, and I still get push notifications, so I don't miss anything by exiting it.

Not sure about the breaking news ticker, but it sounds like a connected app. Shao usually knows what he's doing, so it shouldn't be bad.

I have BerryWeather set to update hourly, and that seems just fine.

A lot of people have complained that Meterberry saps their battery. I don't use it, so I can't say for sure. I use TinyMeter.

Nobex is another one to exit fully when not using it. Streaming apps kill batteries.

I'll be loading 7.1/190 soon, so we'll see how it goes.

Some helpful points there, thank you.

I'm fairly happy my app management is ok, like you I also tend to close Whatsapp when I'm not actually chatting. Same with Nobex. I've used Meterberry for ages, its one of the next in line to be deleted, but I don't want to delete too many at once so I can keep track of what's making the difference, if any.

I always close Facebook and Twitter, although they have been set to auto-update. I've now stopped that and both will only update upon a manual refresh.

I've also changed BeWeather from GPS location to Cell Site location and reduced the update interval to one hour too.

I'll keep an eye on BreakingNews over the next couple of days, its not know to be a battery killer from what I've read. Time will tell!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-10-12 04:09 PM
    Something is sapping the battery on my 9900 - it's got worse of late, especially with the new 7.1.0.190 OS. I'm quite happy to work through them one at a time to work it out, but that will take time, so I just wondered if anyone had found any of the following to be particularly battery hungry?

At home on wifi with minimal use I'm losing 8+% an hour, out and about still with minimal use it's nearly 15%..

BerryBuzz *
    BerryPopUp *
    BeWeather *
    Dropbox
    Endomondo
    Fancy Widgets
    MeterBerry *
    Google Maps *
    Google Sync
    Nobex Premium *
    Traffic Monitor
    BBM *
    Facebook * - not set to auto update
    Twitter - ditto
    Breaking News - Home screen ticker
    Patternlock
    Tapatalk
    Whatsapp
    Smartwifi

* are apps I've been running for ages and am quite confident in.

Would value your thoughts.
    Smartwifi and berrypop up destroyed my battery on previous devices.
    01-10-12 04:15 PM
    I find that with some fine tuning (removing certain cell towers from some profiles), SmartWiFi actually saves me battery life.
    01-10-12 04:30 PM
    I find that with some fine tuning (removing certain cell towers from some profiles), SmartWiFi actually saves me battery life.
    Well, I did have Smartwifi on my 9550. That could maybe be the reason for my distaste. That was one painful device.
    01-10-12 04:32 PM
    I've uninstalled smartwifi too. My device runs much smoother now. Also check breaking news. I read negative feedback about it a lot.
    01-10-12 06:39 PM
    where exactly do you go? when i go to Options, i do not see "Device Applications?"
    01-10-12 06:42 PM
    where exactly do you go? when i go to Options, i do not see "Device Applications?"
    Options--> Device --> Application Management
    01-10-12 06:47 PM
    Amazingly after a few tweaks my battery is greatly improved! Yesterday, off charge at 0600 by 1700 I was down to 21% with a discharge rate of 14% an hour.

I simply stopped auto updates on Facebook and Twitter, but I suspect the biggest difference was changing BerryWeather from GPS to Cell Site location.
    After the same use, by 5pm today I was still at 70% with a 2.5% discharge rate! Amazing.

I'll give this couple of days and see what happens and then maybe delete some apps and see if that has any further effect, starting with Smartwif and BreakingNews.

Legal Eagle and deejayburnout like this.
    01-11-12 10:51 AM
    Amazingly after a few tweaks my battery is greatly improved! Yesterday, off charge at 0600 by 1700 I was down to 21% with a discharge rate of 14% an hour.

I simply stopped auto updates on Facebook and Twitter, but I suspect the biggest difference was changing BerryWeather from GPS to Cell Site location.
    After the same use, by 5pm today I was still at 70% with a 2.5% discharge rate! Amazing.

I'll give this couple of days and see what happens and then maybe delete some apps and see if that has any further effect, starting with Smartwif and BreakingNews.

I don't see a need for auto updates on social apps. As soon as I open them... they automatically refresh to newest post with auto update off.
    flash24 likes this.
    01-11-12 11:28 AM
    I've uninstalled smartwifi too. My device runs much smoother now. Also check breaking news. I read negative feedback about it a lot.
    I turned off Breaking News rather than deleted it.

After the same time and use as yesterday, by 4pm today I was at 80%, compared to 70% yesterday, so thats helped a bit too.

I'll keep it like this over the next few days and make sure it's reliable.
    01-12-12 10:48 AM
    Some of the applications are 'hiding' themselves in the background - they don't even show up in the list of open applications.

Indeed, like others are saying, apps with a background-refresh (Score Mobile for instance) are likely culprits as well.

If you're on 7.1, make sure you use the Blackberry Device Analyzer to analyze your battery discharging -- and let it run for at least 12 hrs without constantly checking the results.

( maybe just my version of this app: every time when I open it, I have to accept the terms & conditions - which apparently stops any active tracking going on already)

Having done this, it showed me that my battery drain was about 6% per hour - simply because Score Mobile was constantly polling for new results.

And remember -- any app that pretends to improve battery life? There's no such thing as free energy. The app itself uses energy, and somehow can make your phone use less, while expending energy itself? Hm.

As for one other poster, with regards to his IM / Social Media app being updated even though the automatic update was disabled? Probably the same thing as is happening with Blackberry Travel -- it's still running in the background, but hidden from your list of active apps.
    01-12-12 11:27 AM
    i suggest you install the OS 7.1.0.163 hybrid by mAx. I have the same issue as yours. This OS answered mt problem

http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...-163-a-680475/
    quattrojames likes this.
    01-13-12 07:51 AM
    Battery life with same apps was better on .5xx
    01-13-12 07:56 AM
    Some of the applications are 'hiding' themselves in the background - they don't even show up in the list of open applications.

Indeed, like others are saying, apps with a background-refresh (Score Mobile for instance) are likely culprits as well.

If you're on 7.1, make sure you use the Blackberry Device Analyzer to analyze your battery discharging -- and let it run for at least 12 hrs without constantly checking the results.
    Thanks for this, I don't have either BB Travel or Scoremobile, so I know I'm ok there.

I've been using Device Analyzer for a few weeks now, I downloaded it as a beta when I was still running .585 so I use keep it on permanently to monitor performance. I never use any battery booster type apps either.

i suggest you install the OS 7.1.0.163 hybrid by mAx. I have the same issue as yours. This OS answered mt problem

http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...-163-a-680475/
    Thanks, I'll have a read of that.
    01-13-12 01:15 PM
    Just turned on Device Analyzer as my drain is terrible on 7.1.0.190.

Hopefully some of these tips will help.

Lets see how it goes.
    01-15-12 09:32 AM
    With the battery analyser, im wondering if you do get some sort of analysis or just a graph? When i run it only choices are 'stop' and 'view battery drain trend'.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-12 09:50 AM
    With the battery analyser, im wondering if you do get some sort of analysis or just a graph? When i run it only choices are 'stop' and 'view battery drain trend'.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Go to view battery trends, then details.

Fulfilling my Crackberry addiction from my 9930 via Tapatalk
    01-15-12 10:42 AM
    A few days down the line and I'm still at 80% by 4pm from being off charge at 6am. A staggering difference from being at 40% or less this time last week!

I am putting this down to changing the location setting of BerryWeather from GPS to cell location!
    01-15-12 02:08 PM
    another app to suspect is blackberry protect. i removed the app. now, my hourly drain rate was 0.82pct / hr :-)

granted, all the phone does is sitting there being pretty. but i guess in my situation i found the battery draining apps.

all i'm seeing now is that the backlight, ribbon and browser are sucking up the most power.

so i guess i'll enable apps one by one (day by day) and get to a nice average, which would allow me to get through the day, with a nice mix of work (emails, calling) and some fun (twitter, browsing, scores, weather)
    01-15-12 02:18 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD