| | 11-19-12, 01:14 PM Thread Author #1
Battery problems? GET 7.1.0746 via auto-update... HUGE IMPROVEMENT
Last week, weirdly, I got this note on my phone that I got a software upgrade (BB 9900 on Rogers Wireless in Canada)... it was a new icon that just appeared on its own.
So, after a few days of not doing anything, I clicked on the upgrade and it began to backup and to upgrade the OS on-device (no computer needed). A few points:
- The upgrade process is broken! It hung half way through, had to pull battery
- First time it got stuck at 11% , one battery pull didn't do it, second time, went through more and got stuck again, THIRD time it worked and backed up
- Then it reloaded the new OS, it finished, but got stuck again at restoring Apps
- Another battery pull... phone wouldn't start
- Another pull, and this time it came back up
- Went into OS, mails were missing... it then took a few minutes and they appeared. Not sure if files were being restored or got it from server
- At the end, it restored everything to original state, Apps, emails, text, BBM, all restored, BUT on some you had to login/signin again and some lost data (Whatsaspp)
- THIS TOOK HOURS, like 2hrs one night before sleep, then 1-1.5hrs the next day, so DO NOT ATTEMPT mid-day or when you need your phone
- If you could, do PC backup/upgrade instead... the auto-update on device is glitchy although it works after a few attempts
Firmware 7.1.0746 Review:
- BEST Version so far by 10,000 miles! I've done multiple versions before all hit/miss issues
- BIGGEST IMPROVEMENT, at least 50% more battery life, and I am not joking. I literally had to charge at 3pm everyday, and could never use 3G/HSPA speeds for long periods before losing battery quickly. This version is just magic, I got the battery drain curves via BatteryWatch and it went from straight line down, to an almost horizonal line...
- I think this version has improved in two areas: (1) It monitors and closes Apps that are taking batter life, it literally shuts down most Apps I run on the BG that are taking battery life, which might have been the culprit, (2) I am sure some improvements were made to how device communicates in 3G/H speeds... it's significantly less draining.
Overall, this upgrade is MUST-HAVE specially if you got battery issues... I haven't noticed any glithces, everything works fine, and it even fixed an issue I had with text messages (wouldn't link text from same users before). The only downside is the auto-update on-device which scared me a quite a few times thinking it may brick the phone but luckily went through at the end... so I'd do the PC upgrade option instead.