I'm getting from 5 % to 15% per hour battery drains due to these two modules( net_rim_bb_appworld and net_rim_bb_ribbon_app). I get battery drain even when app world is not even opened. To try to fix this, I uninstalled appworld, which fixed the problem, but since I needed to use it, I reinstalled it, which made the battery life bad again. I don't know what to do with _ribbon _app because it's a homescreen module? I'm also having the 100%- 92% drop that people have been complaining about.

Specs:
    Blackberry 9930 Bold on Verizon Wireless
    http://imgur.com/7CXVW
    05-08-12 06:10 PM
    How did you determine that the drain is due to these two modules?
    05-08-12 06:21 PM
    which os version do you have?

(with 7.1 there is the analyzer app)

I got something similar a while ago. Couldn't find out what it was exactly but after a few days it went better (5-6 days actually!)

I restarted the device 5x min + 2 reinstallations of the os. it was 7.1.190 I think or 205.

Right now with 342 everything is awesome (today not done much with the 9900 and got out of work with 70% (~14 hours!)

I also had bad month with 9900 with 5% drain on idle (with good network connection)

BTW ribbon app is your homescreen or something similar to the homescreen.

Appworld is of course appworld ^^

Appworld still open? Close it. ( I know sorry - you wrote it)

If it is data from the analyzer app (option/device ??? I have a different language bb) it shows the cpu time in % but this isn't the battery drain. Just the cpu time -> which of course kills battery too.

the 100% - 92% I had also two times.

It was a bad os version in my case.

pressing alt+shift and h key to see which version and other stuff on you bb. (just in case)

It's stupid but a long battery pull? like for one night?

how long are you using the OS, if it is only a few days, in the first days (or more like on the first day) it uses more battery then after it's settleing.

Wish you luck for finding the issue on your device soon.
    Last edited by boldkeyboardholic; 05-08-12 at 06:50 PM.
    05-08-12 06:45 PM
    I had the drop from 100-92% running .163 on Sprint (I see from your link you are now on .163 as well). I'm not sure what the latest OS is on Verizon but I know an update to a later version should solve that issue at least.
    05-08-12 07:06 PM
    Any app running in the background will tax your battery. I am on .163 and my battery lasts from 5am to 11pm with 20% left when I plug it back in. Turn off gps when not in use.

Are you getting a full 5bar 3G signal? Low signal issues will drain your battery also.
    05-08-12 07:39 PM
    Just got an update for bb protect last night when installing got the bb ribbon problem notice now resetting and battery draining. Bold 9900 useless all day.
    05-08-12 07:43 PM
    I determined all of this using the BlackBerry device analyzer. I've had this phone for 3 months, and it usually lasted most of the day ( from 7 am to 10pm) but certain days it went from ( 7 am to 6pm). I finally cracked when it drained after a few hours with just regular use (a few whatsapp messages, 30 min of music). It's definitely not due to low signal issues though. Should I just call up verizon and request a new phone? I've gotten my battery changed 3 times already.
    05-08-12 08:18 PM
    Well if you feel there is something wrong with it and you already have double checked everything.
    You might consider to try exchange it though. It's up to your findings/feelings, the choice is all yours to make.
    05-08-12 08:31 PM
    Might just need to reload the os. Not sure if I would trade in for another just when I have started to break it in. trying it now. Also noticed after each reset appworld says I have an upgrade but when I open it none to be found.
    05-08-12 08:45 PM
    Might just need to reload the os. Not sure if I would trade in for another just when I have started to break it in. trying it now. Also noticed after each reset appworld says I have an upgrade but when I open it none to be found.
    If you open messages you should see an email linking you to the update.
    05-08-12 10:23 PM
    Sorry should have been more clear. I was getting false update notifications just the red star on my appworld logo, no real update to do. Couldn't do a restore everytime I tried it froze desktop manager. So downgraded to os7 the back up to os 7.1,that's all I could do everything else would get an error. Then used restore to get my contacts & etc. back.
    05-09-12 12:23 AM
    I determined all of this using the BlackBerry device analyzer. I've had this phone for 3 months, and it usually lasted most of the day ( from 7 am to 10pm) but certain days it went from ( 7 am to 6pm). I finally cracked when it drained after a few hours with just regular use (a few whatsapp messages, 30 min of music). It's definitely not due to low signal issues though. Should I just call up verizon and request a new phone? I've gotten my battery changed 3 times already.
    Karie,

You may have my problem. Take a look at the original post here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...esting-712600/

Also, please take a look at my most recent post on that thread, on page 2. Perhaps you and I have some of the same apps?

I have seen high CPU usage of the _ribbon_ module on my phone (Device Analyzer), but only occasionally and not necessarily in conjunction with high battery drain periods. I've more or less ruled _ribbon_ out as the cause for me. Furthermore, everyone has this module (it's part of the OS), and not everyone has a high drain issue. What sort of numbers were you seeing in device analyzer that led you to believe _ribbon_ was draining the battery?
    05-09-12 04:07 PM
    This morning: my battery is draining at 5 to 10% per hour, on Wifi. Yesterday it was 2% per hour on Wifi, with the same level of use.

Today I noticed my proximity sensor is blinking non-stop, but I'm not on the phone. If you're experiencing high drain rates, you may want to take a look at this! Please let me know if you experience the same thing. I'm going to reboot, and I fully expect both the drain rate and the sensor will revert to normal.
    05-10-12 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD