I have decided to come back to BlackBerry after a couple of years away...and have traded the iPhone 4S which I was totally happy with, but had become bored with the "same old" iOS that I'd seen only minimally improved since the first-generation iPhone. I have loved the iPhone, especially the 4S...but have just been antsy for a new toy.

So...my "new" AT&T BlackBerry 9900 should be winging its way across the country to me as I type, and I should have it by the end of this week.

I'm hoping that it will impress me as much as practically every BB I've owned before has (had 'em all, starting with an 8700c), and I don't suffer the glitches that some here have documented. I was a huge fan of both the 9000 and 9700 Bolds...and the 9900 seems to incorporate the best of both of those devices.

Let me ask...since there is so much bad posted about this phone, DOES ANYBODY REALLY, REALLY LIKE THEIR 9900?

Thanks in advance! Good to be back at CrackBerry.com!!
    12-07-11 06:57 AM
    That is like moving from windows 7 to windows 95. You will feel like you are going backwards in everything like browsing, almost no apps, the quality of the screen can't compared, the camera, no siri, egc, etc.

About the same old ios in ios 5 there are a lot of new things, one of my favorites is launching the camera with two clicks.

The blackberry 7 OS have many issues, you need to restart a lot the bold because it becames too slow when you type.

Blackberry is building new phones with a new OS named bbx, that is why they don't care making better OS 7 or fixing the issues it has like poor battery, the bricking issue, and the need to restart the phone almost every week.

Buying a bold 9900 right now is not a very good idea because the new phones with bbx.

If blackberry launches an updated os 7 that fixes the issues I would think different about the bold 9900. By no way you can't compared it with an iphone 4S, but it is good in somethings like bbm and push mail.
    jebulls likes this.
    12-07-11 07:13 AM
    Hey, thanks Ike1...makes me feel like I made a great decision!
    12-07-11 08:13 AM
    Excellent upgrade choice. Welcome back to where the big boys play. When you get it, upgrade that OS to .540 and sit back and enjoy. Typing on glass is so yesterday.

Welcome back.
    12-07-11 08:18 AM
    Welcome back! I have often thought about jumping ship, but then I come back to why I love BB so much. Real multitasking, solid communicator, great KB.

I just got a 9930 yesterday. So far so good! Love the responsiveness, keyboard, camera. I took it off the charger at 7:00AM. I made a few phone calls, read email, etc. I am at 95%, and its 9:30. So far so good with the battery.

I think you made a good choice. Time will tell. Enjoy your new device.
    12-07-11 08:30 AM
    welcome back ,to answer op q. yes I REALLY LIKE THIS PHONE
    12-07-11 08:33 AM
    9900 is the keeper for me despite what people said about "bricking", poor camera, and poor battery life. I've got no issue whatsoever and it's pure enjoyment to use especially typing on this keyboard. You won't regret it.. and congrats!
    12-07-11 08:47 AM
    same with me, love the iPhone but was bored to **** with it year after year, and now that i need an email phone, what better than the blackberry! you'll love the 9900, or hate it cuz it bricks on ya! hope for the best
    JR A likes this.
    12-07-11 08:48 AM
    I've had an iPhone, an HTC Evo 4G, even a Palm Pre Plus. I enjoy trying out new gadgets but the only phone I've ever loved is a Bold 9930.

The key to enjoying your phone is to look at the glass half full vs. empty. Some just get stuck on one little fact and suddenly it is the end of the world. No, the BB does not have Angry Birds or other popular apps but it does have a ton of cool stuff that actually matters to me.

1. Better security and message encryption on a reliable push e-mail system that pushes everything not just gmail.

2. An incredible, best in class keyboard with a touch screen that is larger than the iPhone when replying to e-mails or typing anything (because the iPhone4s virtual keyboard cuts the screen in half).

3. NFC. There are 500k apps in the apple ecosystem but even the most extreme fan wont download more than a couple of hundred (and then never be able to find most of them) and most people, like myself will never really use more than 20-30 apps. So, I don't really care about that. However, NFC is something I use to easily conduct multiple tasks when leaving work (e-mail wife, wifi off, btooth on, launch Driversafe.ly) and others such as easy launch the bridge app when it is close to my PB.

4. The shorcuts are not ground breaking but they are convenient in the real world. I can hold a cup of coffee with one hand and easily call someone with my speed-dial (because the keys are exposed and I don't have to go searching for anything.

5. I saw a guy pulled over in the road at night so I asked if he needed help and he did so I pulled over and we needed some light. I just clicked my lower vol key twice (SCM) and viola! bright light on. It was starting to rain and dark so it was handy.

I've often said the BB is not a "display" or "wow" phone. It is an elegant and discreet device that helps you get things done.

I love it. If you don't get stuck on one thing like a kid pushing a wall, then I think you may love it as well.

So yeah. I love my Bold 9930 and my Playbook.
    Angelo_Campher, etul, JR A and 2 others like this.
    12-07-11 09:03 AM
    I think you are going to love you new Bold, I had a Droid for 2 years and hated it. The Bold works as easy as a cell phone for calls, and has the touch screen of the Iphone and Droid. You get the best of both worlds with the Bold. And you will not miss going through all the menu swiping just to make a simple phone call.
    12-07-11 09:16 AM
    The blackberry 7 OS have many issues, you need to restart a lot the bold because it becames too slow when you type.
    False

that is why they don't care making better OS 7 or fixing the issues it has like poor battery, the bricking issue, and the need to restart the phone almost every week.
    False, you may want to try posting something factual for a change. I've corrected you twice on this now
    RIM confirms issue with BlackBerry Bold 9900 / 9930, working on a fix
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 12-07-11 at 09:32 AM.
    Elbojemio, wolfee48 and shaleem like this.
    12-07-11 09:27 AM
    Hey! Welcome back! I got mine last saturday and have had a wonderful experience with it so far. I love the keyboard and the responsiveness is and absolute joy. Enjoy your new device!
    12-07-11 09:35 AM
    Welcome back...good decision you have made....

I got my 9900 in early September, and so far, i've had no issues with it. I'm sure, some posters have valid issues with their 9900, but I am confident that majority of issues are greatly exaggerated, and some are just utterly FALSE.

While we don't get several days of battery life compared to older BBs, we have to understand that the new bold has a touch screen, faster processor, etc etc, features that we want but uses a lot of battery life. 8-12 hours of battery life, when we leave home for the office and back, should be sufficient. We can charge when we get home anyway....And for those who stay on the road a lot, like me, should have a car charger, or a spare battery....

As for camera, video features, well, it does not perform as well as my canon dslr....but my canon cannot make phone calls either and i am not complaining. I knew I bought a camera, not a phone....

As for battery pulls, resets, - i do a batt pull or reset only when i downloaded new OS or apps...or delete...

But of course, each one has his own experience with his phone....enjoy yours, and let's hear from you later....
    Guatiao and Fresh2deathJC like this.
    12-07-11 10:11 AM
    Don't worry man Ike is a apple fanboy shown previously in other threads he has involved in the 9900 is awesome best blackberry yet and no doubt has it's problems but so does any other phone
    12-07-11 10:21 AM
  15. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    That is like moving from windows 7 to windows 95. You will feel like you are going backwards in everything like browsing, almost no apps, the quality of the screen can't compared, the camera, no siri, egc, etc.

About the same old ios in ios 5 there are a lot of new things, one of my favorites is launching the camera with two clicks.

Blackberry is building new phones with a new OS named bbx, that is why they don't care making better OS 7 or fixing the issues it has like poor battery, the bricking issue, and the need to restart the phone almost every week.

Buying a bold 9900 right now is not a very good idea because the new phones with bbx.

If blackberry launches an updated os 7 that fixes the issues I would think different about the bold 9900. By no way you can't compared it with an iphone 4S, but it is good in somethings like bbm and push mail.
    *****! post ...troll......

bold 9900 ... u will love bold 9900! its awesome!
    shaleem and mud314 like this.
    12-07-11 10:25 AM
    I've had mine for about three weeks now. Although I had to swap out the first one because of a key that was about the fall off, this second one is great. The build quality seems great.

Overall, keyboard is fantastic, camera is fairly good as well, with the exception of close up shots as they can be blurry. But, this is not a deal breaker for me.

Touchscreen is a nice option to have and I find myself using it more and more. The screen resolution is beautiful as is the OS. I also get great feedback from people on the other end saying call quality is great.

As for the bricking issues, I know they happen but at this point, if it does happen, I imagine I'll just deal with it as I can't see myself switching to any other phone as I need a physical keyboard.
    And, it does sound like RIM is addressing the issue, although what the fix will be we don't know just yet.

Finally, as for waiting for BBX/QNX phones, from what we know, the first one slatted for Q3 on 2012 is touchscreen only. Although rumors suggest a QWERTY BBX/QNX phone coming out in 2012 (Q4?), I still wouldn't hold my breath. The 9900/9930 is a great phone and considering the up coming BBX phones have not really been through tested by the public much, I am more than happy with the 9900/9930 Bold. I'm sure you will be too. Its a great phone once you get settled into using it.
    12-07-11 10:32 AM
    Let me ask...since there is so much bad posted about this phone, DOES ANYBODY REALLY, REALLY LIKE THEIR 9900?
    This thread should help to answer your question.
    12-07-11 10:41 AM
    I have decided to come back to BlackBerry after a couple of years away...
    Welcome back!

Ditto here. iOS and OSX user still, but purchased a PB to try and renewed my carrier contract with a Bold 9900

Yes I REALLY, REALLY LIKE THE 9900. Maybe I'm the lucky exception but I've had zero problems or REAL issues with either the PB or the Bold. Any *actual* Bold 9900 owner I'm acquainted with have nothing negative to say either.

BTW don't forget it's a touch screen like I did for the first few days! :-)

I've just posted a comment about my experience with the battery life.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-needs-676659/

I knew what the essential functionality differences were going to be between the OS's and based my expectations accordingly.
    Last edited by blackburberry; 12-07-11 at 10:52 AM. Reason: added BTW
    12-07-11 10:44 AM
    I love my Bold 9930. It's still the best for email, texting and making calls--and the browser is MUCH improved.

And while BBOS7 isn't the most modern, you can always get an iPad or Playbook for your app/gaming needs...
    12-07-11 10:48 AM
    First...welcome back. Second I think you will be happy with your 9900. Third ike1 is clueless. Battery pulls? I haven't had to do a battery pull since I got my 9930 and specially because of typing? That guy needs to seriously come up with some new ways of confusing people.

Anyways, I came from Android and iOS via iPad, I waited for the iPhone 4S to be announced and on the same day went and purchased my 9930. Never owned an iPhone and while I suppose MILLIONS of users cannot be wrong, it is not the phone for me. I'm perfectly ok being part of the "1%", when it comes to this phone. I know what it can do and what it cannot do. I think the camera is great for a cell phone, since it's always in focus. Don't let whiners deter you from it and if you don't like it, maybe it wasn't your time to come back and you can go back to the iPhone until the next BB catches your eye.
    Guatiao likes this.
    12-07-11 11:03 AM
    OS 7 has been really good so far. But I would like to see more uniform notification icons from 3rd party apps. Some of these notifications are atrocious.
    12-07-11 12:56 PM
    Tnanks for the encouragement. I was just in my local AT&T store getting hooked up on a switch from DirecTV to At&T U-Verse, and was privy to a conversation a woman next to me was having with Apple because her iPhone had started doing weird things, and the AT&T store rep told her that AT&T would not give her a replacement...it had to be through Apple. It finally came down to the woman getting totally pissed at Apple making her drive the 300+ miles to our "nearest" Apple store in St. Louis (just like I had to do twice) to get a replacement...or have Apple put a $500 hold on her credit card while they sent her a refurbished replacement phone in the mail, which (just like me) refused to let them do on sheer principle alone.

Apple is getting pretty arrogant.

I'm not slagging Apple, or the iPhone...but one of the reasons that I may be switching to an AT&T 9900 is to have easy warranty replacement IF I have some of the issues that some here are having. I don't need any more drama in my life. Mobile devices are man-made and imperfect...they do break and act crazy sometimes. I just want to have some peace of mind if mine does.
    12-07-11 03:49 PM
    Im going to switch to a bold 9900 as well. I was thinking about getting the 4S but i thought to myself that I bbm/text more than I play games. Ive always been a RIM lover and I hope you are too
    12-07-11 03:52 PM
    The Bold 9900 is the best multi-purpose device I have ever owned.There is absolutley nothing wrong with this BB.The keyboard is extremely comfortable.It is like night and day coming from a cramped keys Torch .The screen view is stunningly crisp and sharp.The screen is a very comfortable size for web surfing and I even have the Kindle app on here and that too is a very comfortable size to read books.The BIS speaks for itself.Takes great pix.Everything is quick and free flowing.I expect issues with any phone but have very,very few.This is my organizer,calandar,password keeper,camera,internet and book reading,text machine.Oh yeah, and it is a phone too.You have quite a few posts under your belt so you know the drill.If you need any help with anything,thats what we are all here for.Welcome back and have fun with your new toy.
    12-07-11 05:08 PM
    So, its 6:30PM and I still have 60% left with phone calls, texts, GPS use, snapped a few pics with flash, lots of perusing the options.
    12-07-11 05:30 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD