I don't expect others to agree with all (or any!) of the points below, but here's why I ditched my Classic and returned to my 9900. I should point out that I only really need a phone for calls, emails, text, Whatsapp, photos and occasional web browsing so my use is fairly limited. I have a Samsung S5 for various apps at home under wifi which I essentially use as a tablet. I don't have a requirement for entertainment etc via a phone outside my house.

1. Classic is too heavy for me at 178g. I also found it top-heavy when typing. This was a big 'anti'.
    2. Classic has a very small trackpad which I found awkward to use in comparison to the 9900. I don't like the BB10 swiping actions.
    3. For me, the Classic's 3.5" screen is not big enough for browsing nowadays, so I didn't perceive any great advantage over the 9900 - I would still have had to keep the S5.
    4. Didn't find the email polling as good as BIS.
    5. Use BB7's totally reliable Advance OS & LED for various different notification light colours and sounds, all of which I leave flashing until accessed. Found this tricky and buggy when trying to replicate with other apps on the Classic.
    6. I narrowly prefer the 9900's curved keyboard to the Classic's.
    7. Whilst there is no doubt that the stills camera is superior on the Classic, the 9900's speed of use is a decent asset. Video looks about the same quality to me.

That's a very personal list; I'm not claiming that the Classic is no good, just that it's not a patch on the 9900 for my current circumstances.
    07-22-15 07:57 AM
    +1000 for Advance OS & Led!!
    07-22-15 08:13 AM
    Nice review. Thank you. My wife is having the same struggle as she is on her third 9900. She loves her phone. The Classic is in the drawer but not drawing her attention so long as 9900s are available. Weight and keyboard are big issues in her life. Will be interesting to see how these models play out over the course of time.
    07-22-15 08:21 AM
    I agree about keyboard : now I'm using the passport wich as a very good keyboard. But fact is the keyboard of my 9900 was even better, at least for the feeling. After, they seem to be both as fast (passport slightly faster to be honest) thanks to the predictive mechanisms of BB10.
    07-22-15 12:07 PM
    My 9900 broke and I got a classic, I Hate the classic.
    07-24-15 01:21 PM
    9900 is a great phone. Question remains: how long will carriers support BIS?
    DarkJoker33 likes this.
    07-24-15 02:40 PM
    Thanks for posting. I am coming back from iPhone and was debating between breathing life back into my 9900 or upgrading to a Classic. I actually prefer the older app software (like tasks, notes, and PocketInformant) to the newer BB10 versions, so your points are swaying my opinion towards 9900. Cheers!
    George_B likes this.
    07-26-15 02:01 PM
    I don't expect others to agree with all (or any!) of the points below, but here's why I ditched my Classic and returned to my 9900. I should point out that I only really need a phone for calls, emails, text, Whatsapp, photos and occasional web browsing so my use is fairly limited. I have a Samsung S5 for various apps at home under wifi which I essentially use as a tablet. I don't have a requirement for entertainment etc via a phone outside my house.

1. Classic is too heavy for me at 178g. I also found it top-heavy when typing. This was a big 'anti'.
    2. Classic has a very small trackpad which I found awkward to use in comparison to the 9900. I don't like the BB10 swiping actions.
    3. For me, the Classic's 3.5" screen is not big enough for browsing nowadays, so I didn't perceive any great advantage over the 9900 - I would still have had to keep the S5.
    4. Didn't find the email polling as good as BIS.
    5. Use BB7's totally reliable Advance OS & LED for various different notification light colours and sounds, all of which I leave flashing until accessed. Found this tricky and buggy when trying to replicate with other apps on the Classic.
    6. I narrowly prefer the 9900's curved keyboard to the Classic's.
    7. Whilst there is no doubt that the stills camera is superior on the Classic, the 9900's speed of use is a decent asset. Video looks about the same quality to me.

That's a very personal list; I'm not claiming that the Classic is no good, just that it's not a patch on the 9900 for my current circumstances.
    Makes sense. Any ideas how much longer BIS will be maintained? Once it's taken offline so much about the phone will no longer function.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-15 02:37 PM
    Makes sense. Any ideas how much longer BIS will be maintained? Once it's taken offline so much about the phone will no longer function.

Posted via CB10
    That's the BIS question... lol Most crystal balls seem foggy on exactly when, if not if. My personal plan for life after BIS will necessarily shift to Classic. BUT, I for one will likely carry the 99 as a pocket calendar until BB10 remembers what a calendar does.
    07-26-15 04:21 PM
    That's the BIS question... lol Most crystal balls seem foggy on exactly when, if not if. My personal plan for life after BIS will necessarily shift to Classic. BUT, I for one will likely carry the 99 as a pocket calendar until BB10 remembers what a calendar does.
    Hah, true.

Texting works without BIS, right? Am I right to say BBM (and other messengers), email and browsing would go dark?

I have to say, audio quality of my Torch 9810 (thickness aside) is good enough that I'll keep it around just as an audio player. Slap in a 32 gig SD card and it's one heck of a music drone.
    07-26-15 04:26 PM
    Not wanting to derail this thread into a BIS discussion,

but I have the feeling, once carriers would ditch BIS, then some other company would start offering BIS to those who are addicted. Perhaps for a hefty fee of course, but neve the less available. So I think there might be plenty of future in BIS. Who knows maybe even more than in BB10, that arguably flopped or the least to say never really took off.
    anon(8080272) and rayporsche like this.
    07-26-15 06:31 PM
    Im considering a move to 9900 from Classic but BIS is a problem for me because its only supported for business contracts by 1 or 2 carriers here in denmark.

So i cant realy let go of BB10 and the question is, is it possible to upgrade a 9900 from bb7 to 10?
    Classic is big enough to make my single hand typing slower, and trackpad is just too small that i forget to use it most times.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 06:15 PM
    Lots works without BIS. See the thread in my signature.
    idssteve likes this.
    07-27-15 09:27 PM
    Shuswap you dont have a signature. And i guess its only email that doesnt work without BIS?

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 04:55 AM
    Back to 9900 from Classic-cb.png

elkadri - are you sure?
    07-28-15 05:34 AM
    Lol im posting from phone, cant see your signature.
    Anyway is it possible to upgrade 9900 to bs10?

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 06:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    That is not possible. OS10 was not released on those legacy devices. Even the Playbook didn't get it.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 08:26 AM
    I'm not claiming that the Classic is no good, just that it's not a patch on the 9900 for my current circumstances.
    Sold a Q10 for similar reasons. Classic would be a fine device with a 4" 4:3 format screen, same 9900 keyboard type and a bigger 3000 mAh
    extraible battery. The processor is the same as used by Q10, for me a big mistake.

Any way I sold my Q10 because don�t convince me enought and I found many many software lacks vs 9900. Advance OS and led
    miss it, sorry but.. And the worst thing was the software errors I found on Q10.
    07-28-15 08:37 AM
    I posted this on another thread, but I'm re-posting it here.
    --
    I've had a Classic for almost 2 months now, disliked it greatly after the first week. My wife and I had a difficult time learning the phone. We selected the Classic to replace our network Sprint for Verizon and upgrade from our 9930 Bold's.

2 months later I learn a little more, but dislike its shortcomings more than its strengths. The operating system on the Classic 10.3, is abysmal. It's complex, finicky, and counter-intuitive.

Most of the apps that I have on 10.3 have been worse and imprecise compared to the BB 7.1. Something as simple as taking notes, setting up a calendar appointment, setting an alarm, turning off the alarm, finding a decent weather app (paid for Be-weather 10 PRO) and tried it; my maps, radar don't work, and I have to have to app 'running' to have the stupid temperature shown.

Also sending a simple bbm message can be easily screwed up if your not careful. Customization is much more limited on this phone as well in my opinion and knowledge. Who designed this OS? I mean was it a schizophrenic?

Also the Classic is too heavy.

The good : BlackBerry Blend and Blackberry Link are great applications. I use them and like them. The larger screen is welcome, as well as the Gorilla glass.

This is all backwards. I love BlackBerry's but this is a bad OS. I guess it makes sense they will be making BlackBerry's with Android OS, because they stopped making the blackberry OS with 7.1. And that is ok, only if you actually improve the system. They didn't.

I'm seriously considering either going to a Bold 9930 again or getting a Samsung Galaxy. I didn't have BlackBerry's since 2008 because I had too, I had them because I loved them.

So sad to say I don't think I do anymore at least the newer incarnations. Especially since literally nobody you run into has one, and you can't ask them for help with them which I didn't need to do with my Curve 8330, Bold 9930.

Anyway, I don't like feeling like this, but I feel like a great company squandered its opportunity to build on the best OS in smartphones. Now we are are basically left to choose from iPhones and Androids. That is the real shame.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android

rayporsche, WES51 and LKD1 like this.
    07-28-15 10:15 PM
    If was truly a classic. It would have auto on/ off. They should release another version with this awesome implementation

Posted via CB10
    07-28-15 10:55 PM
    I posted this on another thread, but I'm re-posting it here.
    --
    I've had a Classic for almost 2 months now, disliked it greatly after the first week. My wife and I had a difficult time learning the phone. We selected the Classic to replace our network Sprint for Verizon and upgrade from our 9930 Bold's.

2 months later I learn a little more, but dislike its shortcomings more than its strengths. The operating system on the Classic 10.3, is abysmal. It's complex, finicky, and counter-intuitive.

Most of the apps that I have on 10.3 have been worse and imprecise compared to the BB 7.1. Something as simple as taking notes, setting up a calendar appointment, setting an alarm, turning off the alarm, finding a decent weather app (paid for Be-weather 10 PRO) and tried it; my maps, radar don't work, and I have to have to app 'running' to have the stupid temperature shown.

Also sending a simple bbm message can be easily screwed up if your not careful. Customization is much more limited on this phone as well in my opinion and knowledge. Who designed this OS? I mean was it a schizophrenic?

Also the Classic is too heavy.

The good : BlackBerry Blend and Blackberry Link are great applications. I use them and like them. The larger screen is welcome, as well as the Gorilla glass.

This is all backwards. I love BlackBerry's but this is a bad OS. I guess it makes sense they will be making BlackBerry's with Android OS, because they stopped making the blackberry OS with 7.1. And that is ok, only if you actually improve the system. They didn't.

I'm seriously considering either going to a Bold 9930 again or getting a Samsung Galaxy. I didn't have BlackBerry's since 2008 because I had too, I had them because I loved them.

So sad to say I don't think I do anymore at least the newer incarnations. Especially since literally nobody you run into has one, and you can't ask them for help with them which I didn't need to do with my Curve 8330, Bold 9930.

Anyway, I don't like feeling like this, but I feel like a great company squandered its opportunity to build on the best OS in smartphones. Now we are are basically left to choose from iPhones and Androids. That is the real shame.

You do realize that you are the oddball here. No doubt you have some valid points and I'm not discounting your opinion.

The Bold 9930 is a nice little, slow, outdated, buggy, efficient phone running an outdated, end of life OS. The vast majority of buyers got tired of its limitations.

Part of my business is helping people with phones & training them on the move from BBOS7 to BB10. It's not without some issues, but the pluses generally outweigh the negatives.

If you think BB10 is confusing, good luck with Android !

Posted Via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    BlackQtCoder likes this.
    07-29-15 01:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    Hej

One of my friend in odense where I live is using OS7. He could use everything on WiFi and some features on normal data package. Hope it helps.

Vises

Posted via CB10
    07-29-15 08:27 AM

If you think BB10 is confusing, good luck with Android !

Posted Via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    Lol! Stop spreading FUD. Learning Android is easy peasy. My Android device likewise complements my 9900.
    07-29-15 08:40 AM
    I love my BB9930. I had an iPhone and Droid Incredible, but I still went back to my 9930. I tried the Classic and the phone is ok, but I like my 9930 so much better. I know the Classic was suppose to replace the 9930 but in my opinion, it fell short. The 9930 so easy to use and has everything I need. It still has a working version of the TheScore app on it and keeps me up to date on all the sports scores. I'll be keeping my 9930 for awhile longer.
    07-29-15 09:18 AM
    Lol! Stop spreading FUD. Learning Android is easy peasy. My Android device likewise complements my 9900.
    Soon an Android Blackberry device will be in our favourite shop, so..
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    07-29-15 01:13 PM
58 123