Sorry guys if this has been covered, and it is a semi noob question because I am no tech guru in ANY way... but:

Is auto focus on a phone software or hardware? I mean... since the 9900 doesnt have auto focus, can a software update PUT auto focus on the device? Or, will I need to purchase a BB10 device. Honestly the only problem I have with my 9900 is the camera.

Also, can BB10 software be placed on the 9900 in the future? I love bb, and would love to buy a bb10 device but I am a student and am pretty sure I won't be able to shell out the cash for one of these devices unless they do a very good trade-up program for us current bb users.
    05-04-12 10:01 AM
    Auto focus is hardware, and BB10 will not run on any current device.
    05-04-12 10:04 AM
    Damn and damn! LOL
    05-04-12 10:10 AM
    It's hardware-related. The auto-focus was left out because it was felt that the hardware addition needed would take away from the thin form-factor of the phone.

BB10 software will not work with the 9900, again, due to hardware constraints. Keep an eye out for deals from your service provider when BB10 is released. I'm personally going to wait for the BB10 device with a keyboard before jumping over.

JB
    Spencerdl likes this.
    05-04-12 10:11 AM
    Unfortunately I'm on the monthly 4G plan so I pay full price for phones

Any chance RIM will offer some incentive to upgrade to a bb10 device? Like a trade-in program?
    05-04-12 10:16 AM
    I like the "thin" form factor, as my phone camera is rarely used, of course that's just me. I'm also going to wait for the Keypad BB10 phone to be released. For now I'm going to enjoy my 9930/PlayBook combo. It serves my wants and needs well
    05-04-12 10:24 AM
    Unfortunately I'm on the monthly 4G plan so I pay full price for phones

Any chance RIM will offer some incentive to upgrade to a bb10 device? Like a trade-in program?
    I think there is a very good chance of a trade up incentive program. They offered it with the BOLD 99xx series.
    05-04-12 10:29 AM
    I think there is a very good chance of a trade up incentive program. They offered it with the BOLD 99xx series.
    Ok cool. That would work out perfectly.
    05-04-12 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD