Is the 9900 coming to ATT going to be a 4G or a 3G phone. I can't recall seeing any mention of 4G for ATT. I just saw the TMO one with 4G.
    08-17-11 11:25 AM
    Is the 9900 coming to ATT going to be a 4G or a 3G phone. I can't recall seeing any mention of 4G for ATT. I just saw the TMO one with 4G.
    It is a fake "4G" meaning HSPA+ or 3.5G really. Same as Tmobile.
    08-17-11 11:32 AM
    Don't think it's true 4G speeds. AT&T likes to tote that around. I had an HTC Inspire for about 2 days and it was barely faster than my other 3G phones. Returned it, that goodness.

AT&T has faux G
    08-17-11 12:08 PM
    Don't think it's true 4G speeds. AT&T likes to tote that around. I had an HTC Inspire for about 2 days and it was barely faster than my other 3G phones. Returned it, that goodness.

AT&T has faux G

Yup, same thing here in Vancouver Canada, no real 4G but definitely faster than the 3G has been. HSPA+ is 3.5G from polling speeds so it's fore sure a network speed increase just not 4G. I think the 9900 speed itself has contributed to that also.
    08-17-11 12:15 PM
    H+ and its quicker than the 3G 9700 was before.
    08-17-11 12:16 PM
    H+ and its quicker than the 3G 9700 was before.
    Any possibility that AT&T might might have modified chipset for 9900 that will work with 4G instead of H+ using the current 9900 Rogers device?
    08-17-11 02:23 PM
    Any possibility that AT&T might might have modified chipset for 9900 that will work with 4G instead of H+ using the current 9900 Rogers device?
    the phone is not made by at&t but by Research in Motion, so no. They could only ask for software to be modified for a specific purpose.
    08-17-11 02:28 PM
    the phone is not made by at&t but by Research in Motion, so no. They could only ask for software to be modified for a specific purpose.
    DCGORE, thanks. How did you get yours? I'll be traveling internationally next month. Hoping to pick up this device somehow.
    08-17-11 02:37 PM
    DCGORE, thanks. How did you get yours? I'll be traveling internationally next month. Hoping to pick up this device somehow.
    Bought mine on ebay. Not sure where your heading but check for local carriers when you do and see if they have the 9900.
    data77 likes this.
    08-17-11 02:39 PM
    at&t is going to trick or treat with some new treats that other carriers did not implement or what?the delay must mean a very specific reason besides hardware malfunction.at&t get on with it.release the i5 and new berries as soon as you can.the i5 has a date already-oct 7.but im not going to your store just to play and buy the i5.i want i5 and all new berries in store the day i go there.i've waited long to be upgraded.
    rktate likes this.
    08-17-11 05:45 PM
    at&t is going to trick or treat with some new treats that other carriers did not implement or what?the delay must mean a very specific reason besides hardware malfunction.at&t get on with it.release the i5 and new berries as soon as you can.the i5 has a date already-oct 7.but im not going to your store just to play and buy the i5.i want i5 and all new berries in store the day i go there.i've waited long to be upgraded.
    AT&T has the 9810 exclusively because "everyone likes it." The 9900 for them would mean fewer sales for 9810. Seems kinda funky tbh. They sell the 9700 alongside the 9800.
    08-17-11 05:56 PM
    You are NOT my God.

And it will be labeled as 4G.
    08-17-11 05:58 PM
    Yup, same thing here in Vancouver Canada, no real 4G but definitely faster than the 3G has been. HSPA+ is 3.5G from polling speeds so it's fore sure a network speed increase just not 4G. I think the 9900 speed itself has contributed to that also.
    That is because NO Real 4G exist. Everyone needs to know that Real 4G chipset does NOT exist!
    rktate likes this.
    08-17-11 06:29 PM
    HSPA+ is the closest thing to 4G that is currently available for Blackberry users. It is not LTE because LTE berries won't be out for quite a while...

Issuing a blanket statement that only LTE is 4G is completely ignorant. LTE networks that are currently on air are still not approaching speeds that TMO is with H+....

PG
    purijagmohan likes this.
    08-17-11 07:37 PM
    HSPA+ is the closest thing to 4G that is currently available for Blackberry users. It is not LTE because LTE berries won't be out for quite a while...

Issuing a blanket statement that only LTE is 4G is completely ignorant. LTE networks that are currently on air are still not approaching speeds that TMO is with H+....

PG
    Agreed on the speed itself and the "LTE is the only 4G" comment. TMO is getting cable modem download speeds in some places. "4G" is a marketing term that basically means "noticeably better than 3G" to the standards body. It used to mean something different.

The big difference between H+ and LTE is latency. From my non-scientific tests, LTE with a good signal is under 50 ms and H+ with a similar signal (-85 dBm) is over 100 ms. The actual effect of latency widely varies depending on what you're doing, but it is a difference/limitation of H+. HD video conferencing is very latency-sensitive; Facebook, not so much. It doesn't mean H+ isn't "4G", because "4G" means "noticeably better than 3G".
    08-19-11 01:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD