Hi everyone,

Well as I have posted before, I have been trying everything to get a respectable day's use out of my 9900. And I mean everything!

The only thing I hadn't done is switch to 2G. I have now done that. With the old 2G + 3G, drain when not using the phone could be anything between 5-9%.

On 2G only, it is 2%, 1% and sometimes even 0%.

Which begs the question, why is there such a HUGE difference. I understand part of it may be the phone searching for better 3G signals. But surely the difference shouldn't be so large?

Is this not something which RIM can solve via software updates?

The point I make is that the phone spec clearly CAN cope with the hardware and battery configuration - as long as it is on 2G. Surely it is possible to create a scenario where it is workable on 3G too? Or is 3G SO much of an extra drain, no matter what?

Thanks for any insight...

Nick
    11-03-11 04:12 PM
    Please tell me you're not still using OS .269 that came with your phone Nick. If you are, then there's your problem... update it.

3G is, has, and always will be a battery guzzler, fact. However with the better radio files in newer OS builds, signal reception and thus battery life are much improved.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-11 04:38 PM
    Hi Phil, thanks for replying. As an aside, I always find your posts very informative, particularly for UK users.

Sadly I am on .440 and it hasn't improved things. That's why the difference noted between these two settings was so marked.

I am trying to convince myself I don't need 3G although that is a sad state of affairs for a top of the range phone.

In your experience, what should drain be on the 2G/3G setting if the phone is not in use?
    11-03-11 04:41 PM
    Thanks for the kind words Nick, much appreciated.

Unfortunately I can't help much though, as I personally found .440 great for battery life.

Battery drain is obviously different for everyone, depending on apps installed and personal usage. Mine is always pretty low because I never install BBM, and everything else is set to manually refresh when the app is opened (except for BerryWeather). 3G/2G setting is always on as 3G reception in my area is very good, and I also use Vodafone's Sure Signal at home which is an absolute godsend.

Just as an example though, I updated to .474 yesterday afternoon and with the phone idle overnight, my discharge rate was 0.7% this morning when I checked it.

11-03-11 04:57 PM
    Hi Phil, thanks for replying. As an aside, I always find your posts very informative, particularly for UK users.

Sadly I am on .440 and it hasn't improved things. That's why the difference noted between these two settings was so marked.

I am trying to convince myself I don't need 3G although that is a sad state of affairs for a top of the range phone.

In your experience, what should drain be on the 2G/3G setting if the phone is not in use?
    I've always gotten between 3-5% idle on 3G with no wifi. With wifi on (and connected) 2-3% idle. It happens to be the same on most OSs. So... I just think RIM didn't get it right on the software yet, hopefully they will. My 9700 got much better battery life. Even on 3G. Radios should be more efficient, not less. Yes, the processor could be taking up more power, but in idle mode, it should lower its clock speed (which most phones do) unless it's an operating system thing.
    11-03-11 05:09 PM
    I'd try draining ur battery once and only once then give it a full charge. I did that and my battery life almost doubled. Easily 12hrs and phone is @ 50%. That's with 3G on always.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-03-11 06:24 PM
    It's not so much 3G, it's having to run 3G and 2G at the same time to be able to handover from one to the other when one runs out.

If you're always in a 3G area set it to 3G only.

11-03-11 07:06 PM
    Hey guys,

I've had huge battery gains since changing over to 2G weeks ago. I'm on Wi-Fi for the most part anyway, so the slower EDGE speeds are only when I'm not covered by that, and even then, it's easy to change over to H+ at that point.

Question! I have a Rogers branded 9900, and I do not have the 3G only options in my Network Connections. Only H+, H+/3G/2G and 2G. Anyone on Rogers have just 3G?

Cheers guys, keep it up.

11-03-11 09:22 PM
    Bought the 9930 and the battery was the WORST EVER! Only lasting 8 hours! Last week downloaded the new OS and the battery time with good use of the phone throughout the day has lasted 2 days. Hope that helps a little!
    11-03-11 09:54 PM
    Hey guys,

I've had huge battery gains since changing over to 2G weeks ago. I'm on Wi-Fi for the most part anyway, so the slower EDGE speeds are only when I'm not covered by that, and even then, it's easy to change over to H+ at that point.

Question! I have a Rogers branded 9900, and I do not have the 3G only options in my Network Connections. Only H+, H+/3G/2G and 2G. Anyone on Rogers have just 3G?

Cheers guys, keep it up.

I'm on rogers and I only too have those options. I don't have the 3G one

11-03-11 09:59 PM
    I'm on rogers and I only too have those options. I don't have the 3G one

Cool, thanks for letting me know. Least we're all in the same boat, maybe it'll change in future.

Anyway, forgot to add this, but since switching over to EDGE, I would easy finish the day at 4 PM with about 70-80% battery life remaining. The difference is THAT astonishing. While I am not a heavy user, I use my phone whenever I wish, I do not stop use due to battery considerations. I always have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on. I get Twitter and FB updates as they arrive.

If you're just desparate to eek out addition battery life on your 9900, try this for a day. It's obviously not great not being to use H+, but dang, will it help you get through 2 days of use.

EDIT: I am ending the day. It is midnight and my battery life is at 65%. I don't feel I need to charge it for the night.

Last edited by Aspyred; 11-04-11 at 01:57 AM.
    11-04-11 12:10 AM
    Thanks for the kind words Nick, much appreciated.

Unfortunately I can't help much though, as I personally found .440 great for battery life.

Battery drain is obviously different for everyone, depending on apps installed and personal usage. Mine is always pretty low because I never install BBM, and everything else is set to manually refresh when the app is opened (except for BerryWeather). 3G/2G setting is always on as 3G reception in my area is very good, and I also use Vodafone's Sure Signal at home which is an absolute godsend.

Just as an example though, I updated to .474 yesterday afternoon and with the phone idle overnight, my discharge rate was 0.7% this morning when I checked it.

Hi Phil
    Would you say that the battery life on the Bold 9900 build .474 is much better than .440? What about the performance to?
    I was considering whether to upgrade from .440?

Thanks
    11-05-11 12:41 PM
    If someone could advise I'd very much appreciate it!

I struggle on 3G/2G to get more than 8 hours of battery daily, and get a good 12 hours on 2G only. Can anyone tell me would switching to 3G only improve the battery life compared to 3G/2G?

Thanks!
    03-01-12 03:14 PM
    If someone could advise I'd very much appreciate it!

I struggle on 3G/2G to get more than 8 hours of battery daily, and get a good 12 hours on 2G only. Can anyone tell me would switching to 3G only improve the battery life compared to 3G/2G?

Thanks!
    Battery life would definitely be improved if you just set it on 3G instead of 3G/2G.
    03-01-12 03:31 PM
    Battery life would definitely be improved if you just set it on 3G instead of 3G/2G.
    Gonna give that a go tmrw! Thx!
    03-01-12 03:35 PM
    Really??.... I may have to try this....
    03-01-12 06:04 PM
    I get barely a day out of my 9900, but I know why.

It's the pesky Navigation software I use, along with streaming music over Bluetooth in the car at the same time, doesn't help... and there's the Mobile Hotspot I use while in a call to connect my Laptop.... AND constantly being bridged to my Playbook.

When you think about it, the Battery life really isn't all THAT bad. I'd get two days easily if I just stopped WORKING!
    03-01-12 08:08 PM
    I get barely a day out of my 9900, but I know why.

It's the pesky Navigation software I use, along with streaming music over Bluetooth in the car at the same time, doesn't help... and there's the Mobile Hotspot I use while in a call to connect my Laptop.... AND constantly being bridged to my Playbook.

When you think about it, the Battery life really isn't all THAT bad. I'd get two days easily if I just stopped WORKING!
    3G or 2G or 3G/2G?
    03-02-12 04:23 AM

What kind of service do you have, how many bars?

Poor service on 3G will eat the battery up.
    03-02-12 05:16 AM
    +1. The constant searching between 2G and 3G for the best signal is a battery killer.

You will use less battery with 3G in a weak signal area than using the 2G/3G option.

I now use 3G only unless I know I am going somewhere with no 3G reception when I will set it to 2G manually.
    03-02-12 06:26 AM
    3G only and I'm still losing 12% an hour.
    03-02-12 06:27 AM
    On the official AT&T build I don't have the option for only 3G. That being said, when I'm at home and on WiFi, lately I've been making it a point to put it on 2G only and have my WiFi on. Then when I leave the house I'll turn the 3G on. I've noticed this greatly improves my battery life (at home, obviously).
    03-03-12 02:06 AM
    I am on .267(7.1) and 3G sucks! Even on -71 dbm signal coverage my discharge rate can reach up to %20 easily. When on idle it is around %10
    03-03-12 02:38 AM
    Upgraded the OS this week...Battery life is much better than ever before
    WW
    03-03-12 06:26 AM
    I am on .267(7.1) and 3G sucks! Even on -71 dbm signal coverage my discharge rate can reach up to %20 easily. When on idle it is around %10
    Strange, same OS and signal strength and on 3G and Wifi i get under 1% on idle.

Either you have a defective battery, bad install or something running in the background that you are not aware of.
    03-03-12 06:31 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD