Just got a Bold for the wife and can't figure out how to assign a static IP address for my home Wifi.

I was able to do it with my Style but I just can't remember how. Google search didn't turn up anything but I know it has to be possible.

Any help would be great???
    09-28-11 05:41 PM
    You should reserve the ipaddress in your router config based on the mac address, not on the device.
    09-28-11 05:53 PM
    You should reserve the ipaddress in your router config based on the mac address, not on the device.
    So are you saying it can't be done or just suggestion a different way that I should configure my network?

I've got all my devices setup with static addresses and just not ready to take the time to change the setup.

I can do it in Blackberry 6.1.....just can't remember how I set it up and was hoping someone could tell me how in Blackberry 7
    09-28-11 06:01 PM
    open the manage connections screen by pressing on the top bar from the home screen

Go to "Networks and Connections"

Then to "Wi-Fi Network"

Then to "Saved Wi-Fi Networks"

Pick the network you want to edit

Uncheck the box next to "Automatically obtain IP address and DNS"

Enter your networking information

Save and Connect
    ffxhub and BullGuard8 like this.
    09-28-11 07:02 PM
    You must set the IP as static from within your router. Perhaps on your older phone there was a setting to tell the PHONE it was using a static IP rather than dynamic, but it would have still needed to be set up on your router.

Look under the wirelesss properties tab in your routers front end, there will be a spot for assigning static IP's based on the devices MAC address.

Conversley, you can also set the DHCP lease time to "forever" (if your router offers it) and accomplish the same thing, however if, as you say, all your leases are static, DHCP may not be enabled.
    09-28-11 07:08 PM
    You must set the IP as static from...
    Is my other post invisible or something?
    09-28-11 07:26 PM
    You must set the IP as static from within your router. Perhaps on your older phone there was a setting to tell the PHONE it was using a static IP rather than dynamic, but it would have still needed to be set up on your router.
    Yep, even if you theoretically forced your device to always request the same ip, there is no guarantee that the router would reserve it and another device with dhcp enabled would easily take it, unless you setting all of your ipaddresses + dns + gateway (etc) for every single device manually...
    09-28-11 07:34 PM
    Yep, even if you theoretically forced your device to always request the same ip, there is no guarantee that the router would reserve it and another device with dhcp enabled would easily take it, unless you setting all of your ipaddresses + dns + gateway (etc) for every single device manually...
    I have DHCP turned off on my router and configure all wireless devices to have static ips, and manually set the dns and gateway.
    09-28-11 07:49 PM
    open the manage connections screen by pressing on the top bar from the home screen

Go to "Networks and Connections"

Then to "Wi-Fi Network"

Then to "Saved Wi-Fi Networks"

Pick the network you want to edit

Uncheck the box next to "Automatically obtain IP address and DNS"

Enter your networking information

Save and Connect
    These were the steps that got me what I needed.

Thanks so much for the help. Now hopefully others will benefit!!!
    09-28-11 07:53 PM
    Is my other post invisible or something?
    Prior to running off at the mouth, perhaps you should check the timestamps on the posts.

As for the OP, I was unaware he needed step by step instructions. See his statement where he said he had previously set up his router...
    09-28-11 08:13 PM

Look under the wirelesss properties tab in your routers front end, there will be a spot for assigning static IP's based on the devices MAC address.

Conversley, you can also set the DHCP lease time to "forever" (if your router offers it) and accomplish the same thing, however if, as you say, all your leases are static, DHCP may not be enabled.
    Wow - you obviously know nothing about networking /routers/firewalls or even BlackBerry's for that matter and you're quick to demonstrate your total lack of knowledge on the subject.

You DON'T set static IP's for clients at the router level as most don't even support that without writing rules. You do that ON THE DEVICE/CLIENT and it was explained how in this very thread. All BB's using WiFI can be setup for static IP's ON THE DEVICE ITSELF. You DON'T set them based on MAC addresses either, unless it's a security issue on the firewall. To setup a static IP in a router/firewall requires that you implement rules most of the time, which isn't needed unless you're seriously concerned about wireless security and want to limit the clients connecting through the router/firewall. Your answer contained nothing whatsoever relevant to the OP's question. Your jibberish and misinformation is basically just that. This is a classic case where "a little knowledge is dangerous". Get a clue before you tell others how to do it wrong.
    Last edited by FBA; 09-28-11 at 11:19 PM.
    09-28-11 11:16 PM
    Wow - you obviously know nothing about networking /routers/firewalls or even BlackBerry's for that matter and you're quick to demonstrate your total lack of knowledge on the subject.

You DON'T set static IP's for clients at the router level as most don't even support that without writing rules. You do that ON THE DEVICE/CLIENT and it was explained how in this very thread. All BB's using WiFI can be setup for static IP's ON THE DEVICE ITSELF. You DON'T set them based on MAC addresses either, unless it's a security issue on the firewall. To setup a static IP in a router/firewall requires that you implement rules most of the time, which isn't needed unless you're seriously concerned about wireless security and want to limit the clients connecting through the router/firewall. Your answer contained nothing whatsoever relevant to the OP's question. Your jibberish and misinformation is basically just that. This is a classic case where "a little knowledge is dangerous". Get a clue before you tell others how to do it wrong.
    You are completely incorrect. I dont feel like educating you, however your statement "if youre concerned about wireless security" tells me all I need to know about your level of knowledge.

Setting a static IP on the device? what garbage.

I wouldnt hire you as a level 1 support script reader.
    09-29-11 05:59 AM
    Wow. How in the world did this thread devolve into a ding-dong measuring contest so quickly?
    09-29-11 06:06 AM
    Prior to running off at the mouth, perhaps you should check the timestamps on the posts.

As for the OP, I was unaware he needed step by step instructions. See his statement where he said he had previously set up his router...
    You're right. Sorry. Bad day yesterday, but that's no excuse.
    09-29-11 07:13 AM
    Wow. How in the world did this thread devolve into a ding-dong measuring contest so quickly?
    You mean you don't have heated discussions every day about how to set a static IP on a device? Wow, aren't you strange

[that was sarcasm--in case the Intertubes didn't translate that very well]
    RBergmann1 likes this.
    09-29-11 07:14 AM
    You mean you don't have heated discussions every day about how to set a static IP on a device? Wow, aren't you strange
    Every other day, perhaps. But definitely not every day.
    09-29-11 10:05 AM
    These were the steps that got me what I needed.

Thanks so much for the help. Now hopefully others will benefit!!!
    How to get the primary DNS & the Default Gateway? Please help I do not have experience on this
    07-13-13 08:15 AM
    How to get the primary DNS & the Default Gateway? Please help I do not have experience on this
    The following with appropriate edits for each separate device worked for my two playbooks and my 9930. I even recently did it for my Tivo:

Your typical settings will be:

IP Address: 192.168.X.X (this will be your local network... if your linksys sits on 192.168.1.X then your IP can be anything between 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254... obviously it can't be the same IP as your linksys or any active device on the network)
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Primary DNS: (I use OpenDNS) 208.67.222.222
    Secondary: 208.67.220.220
    Default gateway: 192.168.X.X (the IP you use to access the linksys page)
    07-15-13 12:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD