I dropped from 173.7 MB to 87.9 MB over a 48-hour period this week before rebooting. Whether it would have stabilized at some point or gone all the way down, I don't know, but it is cause for some concern regardless of what you want to call it. This didn't happen on the OS 6 phones.
    it certianly DOES happen on OS6 bb's !! trust me, there are plenty of us that are on OS6 (i'm on.431) and our devices leak, some leak like sieves !! I don't have a 9930.9900, but its disappointing to hear you guys are now battling mem leaks with 'required' reboots every(day) other day
    i would've hoped this issue would have been address and become a NON issue.

i usually have to reboot every 2-3 days to recoop what mem i lose. I start off at 280 and by day 3 i'm down around 230ish. i've driven myself nuts just trying to pinpoint what causes my 9650 to leak....i still don't know. so i just have 'learned' to cope with the leak and reboot as necessary.......

just my 2cents.
    09-02-11 03:15 PM
    I think I identified the culprit, it's the browser daemon. Currently using 141mb of RAM. You can view it in the application management screen, go to memory and select to see modules from the list, tap any module to see how much storage and RAM it takes.

I don't know of a way to restart the daemon process other than rebooting. It makes sense because I do browse a lot.

It would be interesting to see if this is the same for others.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-11 02:21 AM
    I think I identified the culprit, it's the browser daemon. Currently using 141mb of RAM. You can view it in the application management screen, go to memory and select to see modules from the list, tap any module to see how much storage and RAM it takes.

I don't know of a way to restart the daemon process other than rebooting. It makes sense because I do browse a lot.

It would be interesting to see if this is the same for others.

Yes this is true. The way that the BBOS works is that the os is installed on the 768mb storage known as application memory (not ram) whenever the OS needs resources to power an app like the browser, it uses the application memory. This is not a leak, this is just usage. i went about 18 hours with -0.5mb down according to meterberry but i was browsing for about an hour and a half and had many other apps open and my usage went to -4.5mb. no big. I suggest u guys have your phone set up to restart daily when u are sleeping if it really bothers you. no matter how much memory my phone loses it hasnt slowed down a bit.
    09-03-11 02:32 AM
    Yes this is true. The way that the BBOS works is that the os is installed on the 768mb storage known as application memory (not ram) whenever the OS needs resources to power an app like the browser, it uses the application memory. This is not a leak, this is just usage. i went about 18 hours with -0.5mb down according to meterberry but i was browsing for about an hour and a half and had many other apps open and my usage went to -4.5mb. no big. I suggest u guys have your phone set up to restart daily when u are sleeping if it really bothers you. no matter how much memory my phone loses it hasnt slowed down a bit.
    No, it's an issue. The defintion of a memory leak is memory that can't be reclaimed by the system after it's no longer used. In the browser case, every tab I close should return the RAM it used to the system. But somehow the daemon keeps holding on to it, and gradually the system runs out of memory.

09-03-11 02:38 AM
    No, it's an issue. The defintion of a memory leak is memory that can't be reclaimed by the system after it's no longer used. In the browser case, every tab I close should return the RAM it used to the system. But somehow the daemon keeps holding on to it, and gradually the system runs out of memory.

I agree but for the record I surf a lot and my memory leak in the last 48 hours is 1.2 mb from 209.7 to 208.5. My battery finally normalized as well but that is another discussion. At any rate I don't think many folks are experiencing this memory loss. I haven't had anything beyond 1 or 2 mb since I bought it.

09-03-11 03:03 AM
    7APPS-DELETED PDF FILES...THESE NUMBERS CHANGE THE MORE YOU USE YOUR BERRY (FYI FOR WHATEVER THAT'S WORTH)
    Last edited by mcaples; 09-03-11 at 04:50 AM.
    09-03-11 04:45 AM

Yes this is true and has been my experience also. I believe mine would go down completely if I didn't reboot , which is disappointing but I am ok with setting it to reboot every night. Still loving it
    09-03-11 08:05 AM
    Started a couple days ago with around 225 free, now sitting at 218 after heavy use every day and no reboots. Running shrunk 353.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-03-11 08:42 AM
    to note also I see the same type of leaks with my 9850. So it is a thing across the board. I am closing my browser windows,rebooting and going to just use opera mini browser with same usage otherwise and see from there
    09-03-11 08:54 AM
    Pretty sure that's located on the 8gb internal storage, so it doesn't really do anything....
    no, I also individually deleted all of those other language .pdf files as well and gained a lot of app memory. It was incredible, I hadn't heard of half of those languages.
    09-03-11 10:32 AM
    Here's my browser memory usage
    09-03-11 11:28 AM
    The browser just crashed. OS7 helpfully restarted it and restored all my tabs usage now is 37mb.

09-03-11 12:57 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD