I have been using my 9900 for 2 years with a holster.
    Main problem is convenience keys for volume sometimes get depressed by the holster side. I can hear the keys beeping and sometimes it can be several minutes before I realize.

I had to replace the speaker once since it kept turning up to maximum volume all the time.
    Now volume control is very erratic (volume control works for music player but I cant control ringtone volume anymore - rings will be loud or very quiet depending on phone's mood).

The screen and keypad lock does not disable these side keys (whether engaged by top button or holster magnets).

Other problem with holstering is that often the magnets do not autolock the screen and phone pocket browses.

I am changing carriers and trying to decide if I should get another Bold.
    My Curve used to behave itself so much more nicely when holstered.

Has anyone had better luck holstering a Bold?
    10-19-14 11:14 PM
    I've had very good luck with OEM and some aftermarket holsters. My OEM holster is cut away on the sides where the volume buttons are. Can't see how it's possible for the holster to somehow press the volume buttons on my holster. What holster are you using? I've had holsters age and sag and get too loose for the magnet to make good sensing... ?? There are many holster designs out there. Well worth sorting through them to find a suitable one for your use. OEM has performed well for me, tho. At least while using oem batteries. Oversized, aftermarket extended batteries naturally require special holster but you didn't mention that so i'd take a closer look at new OEM, if nothing else.
    10-20-14 08:20 AM
    This is the one I bought
    amazon.com/gp/product/B00550AWWQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    "BlackBerry Leather Swivel Holster for Bold 9930/9900 (ACC-38855-301)" by Blackberry

(Sorry -have to copy & paste since I don't have enough posts on here to allow links)

Is this the one you have?
    On the side view by the red stitch only the top button is outside the case.
    Are all 3 of your buttons exposed?

I have same problems since this was new.
    When the keypad/screen is locked are these side buttons supposed to be locked too?
    10-20-14 11:22 AM
    No, mine looks nothing like that. The one i'm using has elastic sides with large openings top and bottom where the volume buttons, usb, earphone and convenience keys are easily accessible but no way the holster itself would touch the volume buttons. Unfortunately, that style wasn't seen in a quick check of "the usual sources". Dunno. It has "BlackBerry" and logo all over it and the same style came in the box with my 9900, three years ago. Served well. Our office has a box of them in the store room. I'll quiz IT about where they get them.

Never noticed but it appears you are right about the volume keys staying active even when holstered. We use a proprietary locking app that we've modified to disable the touch surface while keeping keys active so that might make my device a poor example of actual locking behavior. Not much help, i'm afraid. I'll see if i can find a simple OEM 9900 to test that on.
    10-21-14 08:40 AM
    I've been using the OEM pocket pouch and the magnet works just fine for it. I've had it atleast 3 years now and its the only way I'll carry this phone. Never had the volume buttons get pressed and its still going strong.
    10-21-14 09:57 AM
    I've been using the OEM pocket pouch and the magnet works just fine for it. I've had it atleast 3 years now and its the only way I'll carry this phone. Never had the volume buttons get pressed and its still going strong.
    I have been using an all-leather clip-on holster (no elastic) for over 2 years without any button or sceeen press issues.
    Frehley likes this.
    10-21-14 02:31 PM
    Hmmm -
    The one I'm using is a swivel holster - clip-on type.
    The tag inside says RIM part HDW-38844-001.
    When I google this part # it comes up showing a pocket pouch thing with no clip.
    So it looks like I may have some crappy knock-off.

What I can tell from browsing is that HDW-38842-001 should be the # for the swivel holster.

Any part #'s you guys have may be helpful.
    Thanks.
    10-21-14 11:53 PM
    Well, talking to our IT guy it seems the box of holsters we've been using for our 9900s was originally purchased for our old 9650s. Go figure. Seems to fit fine and certainly locks the keyboard and certainly does not press the side buttons. Here's a link to the 9650 holster we've used for years on our 9900s with no complaints. FWIW.

http://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-963...UvbUpU11002001
    10-22-14 05:46 PM