A question for those of you who have the Blackberry Bold 9930. Several online reviewers have criticized this phone for call quality. Agree or disagree? Thanks.
    10-12-11 10:52 AM
    A question for those of you who have the Blackberry Bold 9930. Several online reviewers have criticized this phone for call quality. Agree or disagree? Thanks.
    My call quality is great (9900/Telus, BC), much better that my old HTC.

I see this device getting a bad deal, surprisingly in THESE forums and I just don't get it? I think most of these complaints are probably more "operator error" or carrier related than device problems. Sure your going to have some defective devices out there but I just don't believe all the complaining is RIM's fault.

I left android to come back to BB and I haven't been happier. If you want a gadget/toy get an iphone or android but if you want a reliable communication device get a BB.
    The keyboard on the 99xx is stellar, I could also bang out messages on my virtual keyboard as well but I understand some just need to feel keys to be comfy typing.
    joffee likes this.
    10-12-11 11:49 AM
    I've been holding out for the 9900 on AT&T but Samsung sure is luring me in with their Galaxy S II commercials. I've been reading reviews and it sounds pretty amazing. Plus, AT&T has announce a date of it's release. Anyone else out there thinking of giving up and making the switch?

I'm just not sure I want to give up the physical keyboard. But if that's the only thing holding me back....I don't know....I think I might go for it.
    Ditch the BlackBerry.

I have a Galaxy SII and it's the finest phone I have EVER used, bar none. You will not miss the keyboard and the battery life on mine (I am with Sprint now) is better than my BlackBerry was. There are a few apps that can dramatically increase battery life.

I get up to three days of constant usage with these apps with no hiccups or maintenance.

Best move you will ever make.

EDIT - The Sprint version of the Galaxy SII has a notification LED, system settings that are superior to the BlackBerry and the ease of use is tremendous.

2ND EDIT - I also have the 1,800mAh battery in this iteration of the phone. Amazing. I bought two of my kids Nexus S 4G models and with the apps for battery savings, they charge their phones once a week. After a day, they are at 85%...AN ENTIRE DAY!
    Last edited by AliensWanted; 10-12-11 at 12:20 PM.
    10-12-11 12:05 PM
    I had an android phone as a secondary phone for two years now. I like it, I mostly use it for free navigation and some games to kill time ( very limited though) and read the interwebs when i'm ruling the toilet . Well, I tried a few times to ditch my BB, but after a couple of days i find myself crawling back to it, i really can't do it without a good keyboard, i miss the notification light, the auto profile change in holster, the battery life... Well, there is one way to go for me : BB as a primary device and an android phone ( i am really considering a 7" tablet atm) for killing time with some games, apps, use the great google maps navigation.
    10-12-11 12:13 PM
    I had an Andriod for my work device for about 45 days and gave up on it. Switched out with my co-worker who had a very very slow BB 9330. Yes there were so many cool apps, had a good navigation but everything else that was communication related absolutely sucked. Emails were delayed and sometimes would only come in after a power cycle, despite me using the device extremely sparingly, the charge would not last more than 24 hours. I mean, why am I charging a phone that I literally, during the week, would only pick up when leaving the house and drop off when I get home. No calls, not texts, nothing. Just getting corporate email alone killed the battery in 1 day. Now that I'm with the terribly slow 9330 I go 3 days on a charge and it actually has better call quality than that stupid droid.

Either way, it is great to have choices. Loving my 9930!!!!
    10-12-11 12:25 PM
    Ditch the BlackBerry.

I have a Galaxy SII and it's the finest phone I have EVER used, bar none. You will not miss the keyboard and the battery life on mine (I am with Sprint now) is better than my BlackBerry was. There are a few apps that can dramatically increase battery life.

I get up to three days of constant usage with these apps with no hiccups or maintenance.

Best move you will ever make.

EDIT - The Sprint version of the Galaxy SII has a notification LED, system settings that are superior to the BlackBerry and the ease of use is tremendous.

2ND EDIT - I also have the 1,800mAh battery in this iteration of the phone. Amazing. I bought two of my kids Nexus S 4G models and with the apps for battery savings, they charge their phones once a week. After a day, they are at 85%...AN ENTIRE DAY!
    I totally agree with you.
    I have 9900,iPhone4 and Galaxy S II..
    Till recent times my ranking was blackberry,iPhone and Android.
    Because i am phsycal keyboard fan,and still so.
    But i had to sacrifice this habit after using Android which lets me totally free..
    Now it turned to Android,iphone and BlackBerry..
    You can understand what Android is by using Galaxy S II..

Sent from My Galaxy S II Using Tapatalk
    [email protected] likes this.
    10-12-11 12:26 PM

If you want a gadget/toy get an iphone or android but if you want a reliable communication device get a BB.
    LOL.

Is there a playbook or SOP manual that lays out this ridiculous speech for BB loyalists? I see it a whole lot, verbatim almost.
    [email protected] likes this.
    10-12-11 12:35 PM
    I had an Andriod for my work device for about 45 days and gave up on it. Switched out with my co-worker who had a very very slow BB 9330. Yes there were so many cool apps, had a good navigation but everything else that was communication related absolutely sucked. Emails were delayed and sometimes would only come in after a power cycle, despite me using the device extremely sparingly, the charge would not last more than 24 hours. I mean, why am I charging a phone that I literally, during the week, would only pick up when leaving the house and drop off when I get home. No calls, not texts, nothing. Just getting corporate email alone killed the battery in 1 day. Now that I'm with the terribly slow 9330 I go 3 days on a charge and it actually has better call quality than that stupid droid.

Either way, it is great to have choices. Loving my 9930!!!!
    The Galaxy SII rewrites what you think Android is. Older Android devices are barbaric in comparison to this device. It is in all facets totally superior to anything else on the market.

As for your battery drain on that device, I suspect you were using an HTC, which is notorious for battery drain. The newest iteration of Android (Galaxy SII) is simply what it was originally meant to be.

I was a HUGE BlackBerry apologist but now they are simply messaging devices first, everything else second.

The emails not coming in? You screwed up a setting. The G SII gets emails faster than my computer does. I always have them and can find them via search. Not sure what your issue was with that one.

Yes choice is great.
    10-12-11 12:43 PM
    I had the galaxy s2 on an upgrade for just over a month and gave it to my sister. I then took out a new contract just for the 9900 and also got a free iPad2. So as you can guess, I'm happy and don't regret leaving android.
    10-12-11 12:48 PM
    I just bought a 9900 and I expect to get at least a year's use out of it (probably until the end of 2012, to be sure). So no, I'll stick with BB for now, I can't shell 500 pounds for a new phone every couple of months

However my wife is planning to get a Nexus Prime as soon as possible and honestly I can't wait to see it and its glorious 720p screen. The icecreamy version of android looks very slick too, at least based on the leaked youtube videos.
    10-12-11 01:12 PM
    The Galaxy SII rewrites what you think Android is. Older Android devices are barbaric in comparison to this device. It is in all facets totally superior to anything else on the market.

As for your battery drain on that device, I suspect you were using an HTC, which is notorious for battery drain. The newest iteration of Android (Galaxy SII) is simply what it was originally meant to be.

I was a HUGE BlackBerry apologist but now they are simply messaging devices first, everything else second.

The emails not coming in? You screwed up a setting. The G SII gets emails faster than my computer does. I always have them and can find them via search. Not sure what your issue was with that one.

Yes choice is great.
    My Android device was a Motorola Droid Pro with an extended battery.

How could I have screwed up a setting if it was working at 2pm and not working at 2:30pm. The only way to get it working it to power off the phone and power it back on. You do not know my background; I am not your everyday computer/network/device illiterate user.

So, what exactly does this Samsung phone do for you that I will not be able to accomplish with my BB 9930? Not being an a$$, I am genuinely curious here.
    10-12-11 02:50 PM
    LOL.

Is there a playbook or SOP manual that lays out this ridiculous speech for BB loyalists? I see it a whole lot, verbatim almost.
    I'm not a "loyalist" or BB fanboy and consider myself to be pretty open-minded when it comes to phones and such; this is just my opinion having owned an android and iphone prior. I don't see whats so ridiculous about it. To each his own....
    10-12-11 03:42 PM
    Not yet....but I will not be going to android
    10-12-11 04:10 PM
    Its days like this I am always even happier getting an Android. Have a few friends stressing so bad since the outage for Rim. Having that phone so dependent on those servers sometimes is so bad making a Blackberry pretty much unusable when it goes down. Getting all my emails in full HTML without transcated messages is great .
    10-12-11 04:11 PM
    Since smart phones become available, I have had many different brands of them. Usually I kept them for at least 1 year before switching to another new hot smart phone in the market.
    That was, until I bought my first BlackBerry. Since then I switched only twice to other brands (early this year), once to an Android phone and the other time to iPhone 4. But these two brands didn't last more than a week in my hands before I returned them to the shop.

When I had iPhone and Android for a week, I made some funny (some of them painfully wrong) mistakes when typing emails to friends.
    I can now understand why poeple make mistakes when messaging others on iPhone/Android like for example this one shown on Ellen:

Girl: Thank you again for an amazing first date
    Guy: Any tume When's the 2nd date? I can't wait to see those big beautiful nipples of yours.
    Guy: NO
    Guy: I am sorry I meant dimples. My phone changed it.
    Guy: I did not meant to write nipples.

In days like this when BB services are down, I just reallize how much I love my BlackBerry, And how much I will appreciate it when the outage is gone.
    10-12-11 06:52 PM
    As much as I hate to say it, with BBM being down....I'm surpsied Apple isn't having a a smorgassboard of a sale to attract ppl to their phones. Personally, I'm starting to get sick and tired of bbm outages and my phone acting all wonky.
    Just curious, how many outages have happened to you in the last 2 years?
    10-12-11 07:00 PM
    I'm thinking of going the other way. I'm sick of having to play around with my Android phone to make it good, Blackberrys just seem to work as good as anything out of the box. And this is coming from a techy person...
    10-12-11 07:23 PM
    I'm not a "loyalist" or BB fanboy and consider myself to be pretty open-minded when it comes to phones and such; this is just my opinion having owned an android and iphone prior. I don't see whats so ridiculous about it. To each his own....
    Fair enough... I apologize if I sounded sharp.

I do smile when I hear iterations of "BB is for work, others for play." Quite the opposite for a lot of us.
    10-12-11 08:23 PM
    It's the same no matter what handset you go for. Something big happes to the iPhone and you get people wanting to jump ship. Something major on android goes bonkers and again people want to jump ship. Look at the playstation fiasco. It's the same any time something major happens with any peice of equipment.

I am not worried about this recent outage. They will get it sorted and things will be back to how they were. Just have to be patient.
    10-12-11 08:51 PM
    You had a Galaxy S II on an upgrade on T-Mobile for over a month? How? That phone hasn't been released on T-Mobile......until today....so I'm calling bullsh.

You probably had the OLDER Galaxy model, which is garbage compared to the S II. Absolute trash.
    Its a shame you didnt ask instead of flaming me. I HAD the Galaxy S2 on an o2 contract, if you read my post, it clearly stated that I took out a NEW contract.
    10-13-11 10:09 AM
145 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD