I've been holding out for the 9900 on AT&T but Samsung sure is luring me in with their Galaxy S II commercials. I've been reading reviews and it sounds pretty amazing. Plus, AT&T has announce a date of it's release. Anyone else out there thinking of giving up and making the switch?

I'm just not sure I want to give up the physical keyboard. But if that's the only thing holding me back....I don't know....I think I might go for it.
    09-29-11 10:59 AM
    My buddy was getting pretty frustrated with the wait for the 9900. Set him up with a 9810 the other day and he couldn't be happier. Just a thought...
    09-29-11 11:04 AM
    Not worth it. I came from android and wouldnt go back. Unless I felt the need to spend my whole day downloading and demoing various apps or play games. Or a bunch of hours rooting my phone, only to reflash on a monthly basis.
    09-29-11 11:06 AM
    I'm sorry AT&T is keeping you on hold but I got the Bold 9930 on Sprint and just love it. I feel like I am typing on a grand piano that fits in my pocket.
    I had a Torch1 and the difference is just hard to describe. I know the screen is not as big but when I look at it I feel like I am at an IMAX theater.
    The new processor gave me what I needed in speed. I mean the Torch1 was kinda underpowered. But at 1.2Ghz it is 20% faster than the iPhone. Frankly, that is just plenty enough for me.
    I actually had an android HTC Evo4G because I did jump ship from an old Tour but quickly regretted making the switch. Battery life sucked really bad and my e-mail push was sorely missed.
    Also, just google security issues. Blackberry still has not had one and android has had several. For most people that does not seem like a big deal but to me it matters.

So, bottom line, I think the Bold 9930 just rocks! Everyone that has one seems to love it. My suggestion is write down what you want in the phone and then go look at the droid and go look at the 9930 (just to get an idea) and then you decide.

I love my Bold 9930 and several friends have gotten one after leaving BB. It brought them back. Kinda cool.

Oh, one last thing: just pull up a youtube video on/from the new Bold or Torch2 and you will see how incredibly awesome the new BB multi-media experience is. Just crisp, fluid graphics with great sound.

Good luck. I was in your shoes about a year ago and it is not easy.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 09-29-11 at 11:13 AM.
    09-29-11 11:08 AM
    If you are going to switch....I would consider Windows Phone 7.5. My personal opinion I currently have att and am using a 9930 on a friends VZW account currently. My calls are being forwarded at the moment so I am not using the torch on my ATT aaccount. I have considered buying a Samsung Focus to play around with in the mean time as I want to evaluate the VZW service compared to ATT for the next month or so. I have tried android in the past and for me...its just not what I want in an OS. The Windows Phone Mango for me appears to be a hybrid of some of android/iOS and some of BlackBerry as well. You get alot of useful office tools like BB and have more apps for games and such as on Android or iOS. To each their own but I will probably be able to give a better opinion once I get the WP7 device and play with it for awhile. Just my 2 cents!!
    09-29-11 11:20 AM
    Androids are fun phones if you are into rooting and hacking into them with custom ROMS etc. I have one, and its a cool little device for pissing away some time or seeing what you can do with different ROMS and such. Other than that, I barely use it. Flash browser is alright, but HTML5 is making that less of an advantage as the days pass.

My daily driver is my 9900. It's my get **** done phone, my Android is my distraction device.

max
    09-29-11 11:27 AM
    The Droid Bionic is so tempting. I am out of contract and with company discounts they are all the same. I have had only one blackberry 8900. And I love it. It is going strong and since it unlocked I plan on using it when I travel overseas. Because I have OS 5 the 9900 would be a big upgrade for me. I love the calendar feature on the Droids and that may help me forgive the lack of a keyboard. Other than that it is a toss up. However, AT&T has been good to me and I don't like switching billing for companies. I am young looking to back to grad school in 2 or 3 years I know I will not be on blackberry simply because I like to try new things. Not a business man so don't have money to buy off contract nor do I have the money to have two phones like so many of you do. Lol. I would love to have both or to be able to switch out on weekend etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-11 11:31 AM
    Keep an open mind.

Trust me... I used to be Captain Physical Keyboard. I made use of the long remorse period, and was actually able to survive on a virtual one.

And... if you cannot adjust, no shame in going back. Choice is good.

What I can tell you is that the Android ecosystem is close to perfect if you like cloud computing.
    09-29-11 11:32 AM
    Was thinking that my self, then I walked into Verizon. Very Happy with my decision. Good luck with your choice, remember it's your choice.
    09-29-11 01:16 PM
    It boggles my mind that anyone sticks with Blackberry, there are so many far more capable devices.
    timberdc and GingerSnapsBack like this.
    09-29-11 01:39 PM
    Not worth it. I came from android and wouldnt go back. Unless I felt the need to spend my whole day downloading and demoing various apps or play games. Or a bunch of hours rooting my phone, only to reflash on a monthly basis.
    +1 yep same here...i switched over to Android a yr or so back and hated the experience so came back to BB...actually i took out another cheap contract for the Android so still had my BB and it was my BB9700 that held my attention the most...amazing that such a backdated device, the 9700 compared to my Samsung Galaxy S kept my attention far longer than the Samsung...still makes me laugh to this day and lets not forget the absolutely diabolical battery life of Androids...i mean WTF is the point of dual core CPU's if your battery cant even last a whole day??? and screw rooting, what a royal pain in the arse that was and is to do...

Seriously i prefer my iphone4 over my Samsung Galaxy S which is now gathering dust because no one really wants it
    09-29-11 01:55 PM
    It boggles my mind that anyone sticks with Blackberry, there are so many far more capable devices.
    LOL it boggles my mind, i mean really boggles my mind that people cant quite grasp the concept of having a choice in what phone they want.

Go for what device fits your needs the best...
    Soprono, ziwang55 and GeneD like this.
    09-29-11 01:58 PM
    If you are going to switch....I would consider Windows Phone 7.5. My personal opinion I currently have att and am using a 9930 on a friends VZW account currently. My calls are being forwarded at the moment so I am not using the torch on my ATT aaccount. I have considered buying a Samsung Focus to play around with in the mean time as I want to evaluate the VZW service compared to ATT for the next month or so. I have tried android in the past and for me...its just not what I want in an OS. The Windows Phone Mango for me appears to be a hybrid of some of android/iOS and some of BlackBerry as well. You get alot of useful office tools like BB and have more apps for games and such as on Android or iOS. To each their own but I will probably be able to give a better opinion once I get the WP7 device and play with it for awhile. Just my 2 cents!!
    My thoughts exactly. If I ever left Blackberry it would be for a WP7.5 device. The LG Quantum's keyboard almost convinced me to jump ship a while back, but I was able to restrain myself lol.
    09-29-11 02:04 PM
    Capable at what? I bought my 9930 because the vast majority of what I do is messaging-intensive. BlackBerry was created for that purpose.

Multimedia and app selection are minimal concerns in my mind. I have other devices for that if need be.
    mud314 likes this.
    09-29-11 02:06 PM
    what makes you feel so strongly about that? curious as I have tried all the big name OS's in the last year and a half.
    09-29-11 02:07 PM
    I just left android, EVO 4G. Contemplated between BB and iPhone. Not much into gaming but security on cell phones are becoming more important. Android has got to be the worst. Security holes up the gazoo. Go to a tech security site and see for your self. Apple and BB are the most secure. Don't know much about windows. I came back to BB for solid security and a good OS. OS 7 is great. Just needs time for programs to get ported. My touch screen is awesome. I use my cell for communications and web stuff. BB does it well. If your a gamer, then your choices are apple or android. If android could get better control over it's programs, I probably would have stayed. Until then, I'll keep my BB.
    09-29-11 02:08 PM
    There is NOTHING wrong with a BlackBerry phone. It is easy to use, reliable and totally secure (if you follow my advice about no Media Card encryption).

Mine have done everything I have needed over many years.OS that is Android..

If I gave up BlackBerry now, I would move to a feature phone rather than another smart phone. Never would I buy another Apple product and I really do not like the leaky .

Frankly I intend remaining with BlackBerry but am not at all sure about RIM's future. I am sure however that the BlackBerry product line will endure.
    flash24 likes this.
    09-29-11 02:17 PM
    If you want 100+ pieces of uninstallable bloatware on your phone and need to carry around a few extra batteries go for it. I tried the Droid 3 for a month...what a disaster.
    3migo likes this.
    09-29-11 03:48 PM
    I considered going to WP7 since I was tired of waiting for the 9900, but then I caught my bearings.
    09-29-11 05:00 PM
    I'm just back from Android. Had to jump from AT&T to Verizon to make the move. Had an Atrix 4G - which was a very powerful little phone with a compact form factor - but for messaging there is still no better device than a blackberry. !@#* auto correct, swype, touch keyboards, etc... - I wasted far too much time pecking out a simple one paragraph email.
    09-29-11 05:32 PM
    I've been holding out for the 9900 on AT&T but Samsung sure is luring me in with their Galaxy S II commercials. I've been reading reviews and it sounds pretty amazing. Plus, AT&T has announce a date of it's release. Anyone else out there thinking of giving up and making the switch?

I'm just not sure I want to give up the physical keyboard. But if that's the only thing holding me back....I don't know....I think I might go for it.
    I guess those commercials are doing their job then. To sell you that phone whether or not it is good or bad.
    09-29-11 05:46 PM
    I confess that after five or six years with four or five different BlackBerries (most recent a Torch 9800), I recently switched to an Android phone. I'm a long-time ATT subscriber, and was waiting for the 9900 to come to ATT. After reading LOTS or reviews of the 9930 and comparing Android reviews - and watching RIMM stock sink into the sunset - I pulled the trigger on an Atrix. I'm not a troll and I won't regale you with all of the reasons that I'm happy with the switch. But I hope RIMM can get its act together; right now, its future appears rather grim (to me).
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-29-11 07:00 PM
    I confess that after five or six years with four or five different BlackBerries (most recent a Torch 9800), I recently switched to an Android phone. I'm a long-time ATT subscriber, and was waiting for the 9900 to come to ATT. After reading LOTS or reviews of the 9930 and comparing Android reviews - and watching RIMM stock sink into the sunset - I pulled the trigger on an Atrix. I'm not a troll and I won't regale you with all of the reasons that I'm happy with the switch. But I hope RIMM can get its act together; right now, its future appears rather grim (to me).
    Nothing wrong with that and I at least forgive you lol. Hey nothing wrong with going with what you like and I don't mind hearing about what you like as long as it doesn't come along with bashing what you left.
    09-29-11 07:08 PM
    I recently made the switch, I don't regret it. I type faster than all my whatsapp group who all use bb's. Messaging is just fine on android. As far as rooting goes it literally took five minutes after installing some drivers for moto and a one click script. I can flash a new rom and be back to normal in fifteen minutes. There is so much more I can do now w my phone I could throw my pc away and not miss it. If ur on the fence the grass is greener over here.

09-29-11 08:29 PM
    I recently made the switch, I don't regret it. I type faster than all my whatsapp group who all use bb's. Messaging is just fine on android. As far as rooting goes it literally took five minutes after installing some drivers for moto and a one click script. I can flash a new rom and be back to normal in fifteen minutes. There is so much more I can do now w my phone I could throw my pc away and not miss it. If ur on the fence the grass is greener over here.

It a personal preference IMO. I left android for the new bold and yes Android is amazing but BB has features that android does not have. With the smartphone market as hot as it is not many people are as faithful to one platform like they use to be. I do see more and more people returning to BB.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    flash24 and southlander like this.
    09-29-11 09:29 PM
145 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD