I had a good look at a BB Classic today at my local (Telstra) shop and have to say that I'm not impressed with the device. Compared with my Bold 9900 the Classic has the following negatives for me:

1. Size - far too big and heavy compared with my Bold 9900 and even a Z10 (No, I don't have small hands)
    2. BB10 still lacks the legendary efficiency of BBOS7
    3. The non-removable battery is a deal breaker for serious IT use
    4. The aesthetics of the device are somewhat odd - they don't quite gel like my 9900 does

I certainly will upgrade to a BB10 device in the near future (Q10 possibly) but I have to say that my high expectations about the Classic were soured from actual hands on experience with the device. It's certainly a solidly built smartphone but it seems to be lacking the essence of what makes a BlackBerry great. I figured that the return of the toolbelt would set things right - but it didn't. It really came down to inefficiency of design and lack of polish with BB10.
    Q10Bold and centralpark like this.
    03-03-15 06:17 PM
    I'm actually about to go in the opposite direction. I went from a 9810 to the Z10, to the Z30, to and LG G3 for a while to a Classic, then back to a Z30, and later tonight I'm buying a 9930. I miss the efficiency my 9810 had (that was one bad phone...) and the 9930 is just where I need to be.

I challenged myself to delete all the apps I don't use daily. I was left with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Reddit.

I don't need android compatibility. I need the most efficient comm phone ever made.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 08:10 PM
    I like this post. I've often spoken about how the 9900 is relevant today, just as it was years ago. It centers on productivity and quality. Sure, apps are useless and trying to install anything is brutal. However, the 9900/30 lineup wasn't made for that reason.

I have a Passport and a Z10 (Backup). If I was sent a 9900 from work I would happily use it.
    03-03-15 08:14 PM
    I think what has contributed to the longevity of the OS7 series of phones was they were built with social media in mind. On Android, the majority of apps I downloaded were social media apps. To my knowledge the core apps for Facebook And Twitter work and work very well. they weren't designed for the pretty factor if what I remember of my 9810 still holds true, but then again, BlackBerry's were always built beautiful on the outside, functional on the inside.

That is one of my biggest gripes with the Classic. It would be great, if I could turn off all the darn transition animations. Individually they are just fine, but accumulate split second animations over the course of a day. Several days. Weeks. It adds up, and all that time is lost time just staring at your screen.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 08:58 PM
    I intend to get a Bold 9900, as a back up, just for the communication efficiency of it. It wont just in away coz it's near perfect.
    03-04-15 10:45 AM
    I was a 9930 user and agree it had a great feel and style and os7 does work very nice. I recently bought the passport on att and I have to say after about a week or so of using it I am completely in love with this phone. Thought the size would be an issue and the three row keyboard but after getting used to it it's great! Loved my bold 9930 but now it's like a toy compared to my passport. No buyers remorse at all here. Great device.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 02:50 PM
    See my sig. I routinely bounce back and forth between my Q10 and my 4 year old 9900. Next week I'll be using the Q on vacation; then the 9900 when I'm back in the office.
    fkornre and mushroom_daddy like this.
    03-12-15 11:03 PM
    Use both 9900 and passport on a daily basis. 9900 is my morning office phone, the passport is my alternative for evenings with a more social outlook. It's a blessing to use the two best blackberry phones ever built.

Posted via CB10
    extisis and harold.godwinson like this.
    03-14-15 10:49 AM
    I use the Classic daily and I've never had to do a battery pull/hard reset. Use the phone that is best for you but I love my Classic coming from a 9900. It feels great and the keyboard is awesome. For me, BB10 is better because of the multi tasking it is capable of. If your pounding out email, the hub is a great place that keeps you organized. Give it a try. You might enjoy after you give it a chance.

Posted via CB10
    extisis and rayporsche like this.
    03-15-15 10:24 AM
    I use my Passport because of the larger screen and Having all my emails notifications etc. on the Hub....But I still use my Bold, at times, because Protect allows me to backup and restore all of my large Contact Group email lists.
    03-19-15 12:36 PM
    I prefer the older 9900 instead the new Classic for several reasons:

I don�t like bulky phones like this XXL size BB. Always likes to carry my phone in my back pocket and the Classic
    is too much large for me.

The second is that OS 7.1 give me every things I need in a phone like easy texting, email, phone use, etc.
    Calendar works fine in this device, also alarm clock, sms, and wifi. Your confortable with your phone and dont need
    more things? Why have to change this for a big XXL and expensive phone? No need for me for sure.

OS is a bit old and camera or battery life not the best but have spare parts and batterys for extended life time.
    Im happy with my bold 9900.
    03-19-15 03:04 PM
    my 9900 still does all i need and has been very reliable, the Classic is supposed to be the Bold replacement so 9900 owners will upgrade, certain features are missing so i will stay with the 9900.
    centralpark likes this.
    03-19-15 06:19 PM
    I love my Bold 9930. My z30 is just too big. It's annoying having that monster in my back pocket. I love the size and weight of my Bold. It feels like holding a perfectly shaped pebble in my hand.

I don't need fancy apps. I just need a phone call and messaging machine. The Bold is the best.

On the humorous side, it's also great not having to worry about anyone using or stealing my phone.
    03-23-15 02:42 PM
    9930 goes home with me from office. Classic and PassPort stay on charge, in desk. Classic's great for surfing and it's version of BB10 is starting to start to approach BBOS maturity. I'd equate its maturity level with almost OS4.5 or so. (They truly threw out the baby AND the bath tub with BB10!!) It gets heavy and large by the end of a hard day. Its keyboard is VERY good but 9930 PKB is still tops, IMO.

Biggest complaint is the fixed battery. My nearly dead Classic died mid call, couple weeks back. I immediately got a charger pack plugged in and also swapped batts in my dead 99 (it had been a LONG day). 99 recovered first and i called the frantic client back on it. Didn't notice how long it took Classic to recover but it has been relegated to in-office use since. I know, I know, the failure was "operator error" but... i'm human. 9900 forgives my human failures with greater grace than the fixed batt Classic.

Long term, there's no doubt we'll be forced into upgrading and i could live with the Classic but my 99 is still the go to device when leaving the office.
    03-27-15 02:09 PM
    I will get another Q10 before I will get the Classic. For now, I'm served well enough on my recently reactivated Bold.

Posted from my Tab 3 via Android CrackBerry App!
    03-27-15 09:45 PM
    But what I find funny is I've been using a Galaxy S4 Mini for about a year now. I remember when using my Bold 9930 a few years back I thought the battery life was pretty bad.

Now I have switched back to my Bold because of the poor battery life of my S4 Mini and I'm amazed at how good the battery life is on the Bold.

Funny how a lot of it is just in the perception.

Posted via my BlackBerry Bold�
    03-28-15 08:54 AM
    I also stay with my 9900. It serves me perfect.

Classic hasn't quite matured yet to serve my needs as good as my trusty 9900.

So I happily stay on the sidelines with my 9900 and watch Classic maturing and as a bonus presumably getting cheaper too.

Win-win? I think so.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    03-29-15 11:29 PM
    I'm not switching to the Classic. After multiple people told me that legacy BlackBerry phones were terrible, I had to find out for myself. I've recently switched from BlackBerry 10 to the 9900 and I have to say what a little powerhouse! I'm in sales. I need to make cold calls on a regular basis. This little gem powers through multiple dials in short order. Data? It sips data through a straw compared to other mobile phones. After setting up alerts (there's more than one profile?) I never miss an important message or meeting.
    Of course, after BlackBerry killed Traffic I was mortified. Motoring from meeting to meeting was easy with turn-by-turn notifications. I thought it was a silly little app until I tried it. Too bad they didn't port that app to other operating systems along with BBM.
    I still have my Q10 but now it feels large and clumsy as I type this message. The grooves on the BlackBerry Bold are sadly missed, along with the track pad. I rarely touch the screen on my Bold with the track pad.
    Why on earth didn't BlackBerry keep the familiar layout of the BlackBerry 7 operating system? I can see why there are quite a few loyalists to the 9900. It works extremely well as a productivity tool. Consumption? Not as much.
    Oh. I think I already answered my own question.
    Don't get me wrong. After trying the Apple for two years and the Android for a year after that, BlackBerry 10 is an amazing experience. But the Bold is still a productivity powerhouse in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 12:00 AM
    The bold 9900 for me is a good looking device compared to the Classic, i guess the only real problem of the 9900 compared to the classic is the battery
    04-07-15 09:44 AM
    I recently bought my Classic from a Telstra shop after four years of using my Bold 9900.

The reason I upgraded was due to the fact my Bold had stopped working, I had no idea that BlackBerry had released a new device since the Q-10 which I hated because of the missing tool band.

Within a day I was as efficient on my new Classic than my old Bold and within a week there was no comparison.

I agree with you regarding the initial size difference and also the style but after using the Classic for a month and then looking at the Bold it looks like a little toy. I remember a similar sort of feeling after upgrading to Windows 7 and then a few months later looking at a machine which was running XP - it looked like a cartoon and I couldn't believe I used to work on that.

If you're using a Bold 9900 chances are that like me you have been using it for many years and no device has come on the market which justifies replacing it - I can promise you from my own experience that the Classic will absolutely replace that 'best-friend' feeling you currently have towards your Bold.

From one Australian to another, go into Telstra tomorrow and purchase that Classic! You won't look back, just the increased browser speed and battery life (60% advertised improvement - it feels like 200%).

Yes the Classic is larger and doesn't have the 'lines' of the Bold, but I'm telling you this phone is amazing.

Storm 2 > Bold 9900 > Classic
    rayporsche likes this.
    04-08-15 03:52 AM
    And for every post saying he/she switched from the 9900 to the Classic we have:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...900-a-1015090/

Can't please everyone all the time. Ain't choice and capitalism grand?
    04-23-15 01:31 PM
    May I ask, is the Protect on BB10 broken? It would seem that it does not back-up your device as before? If that is the case, i question what the hell Blackberry has been doing for the last 4 years?!

I use my Passport because of the larger screen and Having all my emails notifications etc. on the Hub....But I still use my Bold, at times, because Protect allows me to backup and restore all of my large Contact Group email lists.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-23-15 05:24 PM
    I've been looking at the Classic, and may upgrade at some point, but happy with my Bold, for the most part. I've looked at a few stores, and no one has a Classic to look at in person, I'd have to drive across town, and I'm not that interested yet.....
    04-25-15 10:13 PM
    I have a bold, q10, classic and passport.

Bold 9900 users need the classic. Just. Do. It.
    05-02-15 08:23 PM