This is not a 9900 Camera bashing thread. What I want to know is their any update or method I can use to improve the quality of close up pictures?
    I use BB to take pictures of business cards, QR Codes, Receipts, letters etc. All within 1-1.5 feet.
    I know it does not have auto focus.
    Is there a method or software upgrade to allow for clearer close up pictures?
    05-04-12 08:33 AM
    unfortunately, no. it's fixed-focus. i think the design is to make it work with Wikitude or that augmented reality app, which I dont know if anyone finds that useful. I dont use it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-04-12 08:35 AM
    I found no way to improve the quality of pictures on this phone. Sorry, but the only way I can think is to practice how to use always focus camera.

I hate the camera so much because I am in geo science program. I need a better camera to take pictures of rocks and sediments. I used to be able to take good pictures with 9700, but not with this stupid 9900.

I hope RIM's investors send the company to bankrupt if they come up with BB 10 phones with this type of camera.
    05-04-12 08:37 AM
    May be just my perception, but I seem to get better close up shots if I use the close-up shooting mode and zoom all the way in and hold the phone back a little. Unfortunately, it's just not a good camera for macro.
    05-04-12 09:22 AM
    May be just my perception, but I seem to get better close up shots if I use the close-up shooting mode and zoom all the way in and hold the phone back a little. Unfortunately, it's just not a good camera for macro.
    You are correct.

Instead of holding the phone close to the thing you're taking a picture off, hold it back zoom in. Get a better focus that way.
    teh_belly likes this.
    05-04-12 09:36 AM
    Nope. You can just fake it with InstaPhoto and make it look all "it's supposed to be that way" with an "artistic blur" lol
    05-04-12 09:50 AM
    I hope RIM's investors send the company to bankrupt if they come up with BB 10 phones with this type of camera.
    LOL. Now this was funny.
    05-04-12 10:13 AM
    Agreed. Hold camera back from target and zoom in. Turns out decent for me.
    05-04-12 10:59 AM
    Yep, this works.

A sample:
    05-04-12 01:01 PM
    Yep, this works.

A sample:
    Click to view quoted image
    Yes, this method works really well, especially for text.
    05-04-12 01:06 PM
    This is not a 9900 Camera bashing thread. What I want to know is their any update or method I can use to improve the quality of close up pictures?
    I use BB to take pictures of business cards, QR Codes, Receipts, letters etc. All within 1-1.5 feet.
    I know it does not have auto focus.
    Is there a method or software upgrade to allow for clearer close up pictures?
    yes it is called Photoshop and it is available for Mac and PC

Sent from Tapatalk for Playbook
    06-11-12 10:55 PM
    Set the scene mode to "Close Up" or "Text" and then shoot from further away than you think you need to and zoom in. Sounds strange yes. But it helps a bit. You can get readable pics of receipts that way. Not super clear but adequate unless the type face is small.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-11-12 11:15 PM

true

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-12-12 02:56 AM
    It's clear enough for me.
    06-12-12 03:18 AM
    Wow! Thanks for the tips. I was getting blurry close ups.
    06-12-12 05:13 AM
    I haven't had to use macro for anything until today. I have been getting by with out the auto focus that other phones have. I had to use my coworker's 9800 to take the pic I needed and send it to myself.
    I sure wish this phone had auto focus. It's such an excellent phone, but this camera really takes away from the awesomeness of this device.
    Going forward, I'll try the zoom in technique.
    06-12-12 03:49 PM
    Has anyone tried one of these:

Easy Macro Cell Lens Band
    06-12-12 04:21 PM
    Yep, this works.

A sample:
    Click to view quoted image
    Starkest tuna with Jarlsberg Swiss For 7 dollars?....where are you eating Ubizmo? At the Waldorf?
    06-12-12 04:23 PM
    It's clear enough for me.
    That came out real well.

Thanks
    06-12-12 04:28 PM
    Different from BB's I've had with auto-focus, my 9930 has made me realize that the Auto function is not always the best. If using the phone as a camera and I have 10 seconds to change functions, I will determine, myself, what function is best for the setting of the photo.
    06-12-12 04:54 PM
    no taking up close pictures sort of sucks on the bold 9900 but everything else about the phone is GREAT (y)
    06-12-12 09:58 PM
    You know where I can download a legit, FREE version of this Photoshop software you mentioned?

yes it is called Photoshop and it is available for Mac and PC

Sent from Tapatalk for Playbook
    06-12-12 11:13 PM
    You know where I can download a legit, FREE version of this Photoshop software you mentioned?

Yes, it's called GIMP, www.gimp.org.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by teh_belly; 06-13-12 at 03:33 PM.
    06-13-12 06:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD