Hey,

I was a long time Tour 9630 user and I loved that phone, but it was just dated compared to my Evo4G. I switched last June and have had a pretty positive experience except that my phone is VERY slow when switching apps and opening things like the gallery or browser. I know my old Tour was like a Model-T compared to the new 9900, but how does it compare with say an Evo?

My needs:

RSS Reader (currently using Google Reader)
    Tapatalk (they look to have a BB app, I just have to re-buy)
    Browser (flash and HTML 5 a BIG plus, must be webkit)
    ESPN Fantasy Football management (mobile website is ok, prefer an app)
    Gmail support with full email rendering
    PDF reader
    Stocks app
    YouTube app
    Dropbox support

I think the 9900 will fit my needs as my BIG complaints with the Evo4G are **** poor battery life and touch screen keyboards. I will miss my 4G WiMax connectivity, but I think with a BB and data compression I'll be ok. Anyone have any insight on this? These new 9930's are calling my name...
    08-13-11 12:03 AM
    Unless you really want physical keyboard, you can get sgs2 at similar price. 2.8" screen is terribly small for serious reading. Maybe touchscreen torch?
    08-13-11 12:07 AM
    I'm on Sprint currently and would like a physical keyboard.

Also, I'm VERY hesitant to buy anything Samsung after their updating debacle with the Epic4G, that is unless it begins with Nexus...
    08-13-11 12:11 AM
    RSS Reader (currently using Google Reader) - Check
    Tapatalk (they look to have a BB app, I just have to re-buy) - Check
    Browser (flash and HTML 5 a BIG plus, must be webkit) - Check except for the flash part
    ESPN Fantasy Football management (mobile website is ok, prefer an app) - I can't comment because I never used one
    Gmail support with full email rendering - Check
    PDF reader - Check
    Stocks app - Check
    YouTube app - Check
    Dropbox support - Check
    08-13-11 12:16 AM
    Pity we cant have decent large screen and physical keyboard, on candybar, apart from torch. If torch is 4"...ala dell.venue pro...
    08-13-11 12:24 AM
    No flash support in OS7? Not a deal breaker but that kind of sucks...

I guess its actually kind of nice not to get slammed with ads. I will have my Xoom however for full web browsing on the go.
    08-13-11 12:28 AM
    Hey,

I was a long time Tour 9630 user and I loved that phone, but it was just dated compared to my Evo4G. I switched last June and have had a pretty positive experience except that my phone is VERY slow when switching apps and opening things like the gallery or browser. I know my old Tour was like a Model-T compared to the new 9900, but how does it compare with say an Evo?

My needs:

RSS Reader (currently using Google Reader)
    Tapatalk (they look to have a BB app, I just have to re-buy)
    Browser (flash and HTML 5 a BIG plus, must be webkit)
    ESPN Fantasy Football management (mobile website is ok, prefer an app)
    Gmail support with full email rendering
    PDF reader
    Stocks app
    YouTube app
    Dropbox support

I think the 9900 will fit my needs as my BIG complaints with the Evo4G are **** poor battery life and touch screen keyboards. I will miss my 4G WiMax connectivity, but I think with a BB and data compression I'll be ok. Anyone have any insight on this? These new 9930's are calling my name...
    I actually went from the Droid X to the old Bold so i was in kinda the same situation as you.

I remember there was a yahoo app for fantasy football two years ago (the last time i played it) but im not sure if they still have it. It was pretty kick *** though. And everything other app you named im positive is there.

SPeaking personally going from a Droid to the Bold was one of the best decisions i made.. the only irritating thing was the slowness of the BBOS and browser which have been greatly improved in the new bold. Damn, i cant wait for this thing to come out. I personally found the Bold camera to be sooo much better than the Droid X camera, but i've heard that the new bold camera sucks.

If you need any more info lemme know.
    08-13-11 12:34 AM
    As a former BB user who moved on to using Android phones I am moving back to BB and getting the 9930 on Verizon. A lot of your concerns are mine as well, but with any OS update the developers always have a bit of catch up to do. I look forward to getting mine ordered on Monday.
    08-13-11 09:14 AM
    RSS Reader (currently using Google Reader) - Check
    Tapatalk (they look to have a BB app, I just have to re-buy) - Check
    Browser (flash and HTML 5 a BIG plus, must be webkit) - Check except for the flash part
    ESPN Fantasy Football management (mobile website is ok, prefer an app) - I can't comment because I never used one
    Gmail support with full email rendering - Check
    PDF reader - Check
    Stocks app - Check
    YouTube app - Check
    Dropbox support - Check
    ^ confirmed. I use all of these same apps. Just bought tapatalk yesterday and it works.

I have a 5" Android and LOVE the screen space for some of my apps. You will miss that. But, this BlackBerry's keyboard is a good trade off.

EDIT; Ooh! Just realized I responded favourably to a 49'ers fan. Well his post is accurate even though he's a tool... LOL
    Last edited by CGI; 08-13-11 at 09:43 AM.
    08-13-11 09:37 AM
    Pity we cant have decent large screen and physical keyboard, on candybar, apart from torch. If torch is 4"...ala dell.venue pro...
    Actually told the Product manager for the 9860 @ #BB7FanNight that's what a lot of us want. 9860 screen device with a slide out keyboard in landscape. Hopefully they take it to heart.
    08-13-11 09:58 AM
    I'm still up in the air, I'll go to the store next Sunday and play with one and make my decision. I will be buying the phone outright.

I've had iPhones before and I just feel that they are as basic as it gets. If it weren't for Apple opening up the platform to App Developers, it would truly suck. iOS is just rows of icons now with a ripped off Android window notification system.

Android I like but battery life sucks and I really do miss a good keyboard. I use my phone for all of the above reasons, I just can't make my mind up! The old BB browser in 4.0 and 5.0 was the biggest reason I left the BB platform.
    08-13-11 11:11 AM
    It's always a good idea to play with the device in a store before switching. A BlackBerry should be what you want it to be. So I think you'll be ok. One of the reasons I want one is because after two years I still can't type as well on a touchscreen as well as I could on a physical qwerty.
    08-13-11 11:26 AM
    I feel comfortable enough with my past BB experiences including the original Bold 9000 that I am ordering on Monday site unseen. My Droid 3 is going to a good home next week and while I will miss it, I am still up in the air on which tablet OS to use. Waiting it out a bit to see what emerges towards the holidays.
    08-13-11 08:41 PM
    As a former BB user who moved on to using Android phones I am moving back to BB and getting the 9930 on Verizon. A lot of your concerns are mine as well, but with any OS update the developers always have a bit of catch up to do. I look forward to getting mine ordered on Monday.
    Same boat as you buddy. My last BB was the Bold 9780. I have T-mobile and currently have an HTC Sensation, but i'm going to sell the Sensation, buy the blackberry outright, and then get a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 for web browsing. I'd prefer to have the keyboard for texting. I think the only thing I'd like to know for sure is if I'll have Google Navigation like I have on my Sensation. If not, no big deal, i'll have it on the tab, but just wondering.
    08-13-11 08:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD