Greetings, all.

I recently fixed the poor wi-fi reception I have with my 9900 and the reception is fantastic.

One problem... when I re-assembled the unit (after cleaning with a soft brush 3+ years of dust) the Red LED indicator stays lit.

I thought I might have tightened the screws too tight and I disassembled the unit again to see if something isn't connected correctly, etc, and there is no visual clue that I've done anything wrong.

I do understand that static can cause weird problems, and I was not all "static-operation-room" specific....

Recently, I've also upgraded to 7.1 as I had a Cincy Bell 9900 that was factory unlocked and I wanted to upgrade the OS.

Could the LED have something to do with the software? DId I do something stupid or careless and now the unit is simply not functioning correctly?

Time for a Passport? Classic? (I tried the Classic and it was WAAAAAAY to much stuff that was smarter than me... making a quick call was painful)

Thoughts? I checked the search of the forums, but found nothing that would describe the dimly lit LED.

I did the Status test-set and the lights all display the colors they are supposed to, but the LED stays lit.

Info appreciated.

String
    03-14-15 09:19 PM
    I've hardware hacked a few, I haven't seen that problem before post assembly. Assuming you didn't touch it with a soldering iron, I'm not sure why it would do that.

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    03-15-15 01:12 AM
    Just upgrade BB10 is getting better with every update or definitely jump on BB10 when BlackBerry delivers 10.4 and use the 9900 until then.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 01:42 AM
    Just upgrade BB10 is getting better with every update or definitely jump on BB10 when BlackBerry delivers 10.4 and use the 9900 until then.

Posted via CB10
    Yes... As I mentioned, I tried a Classic for a short trial and, while it does a ton, I prefer the simplicity of the 9900. I'm not much into phones, really, I'm working to watch if the LED is going to drain my battery prematurely (it would make sense that it would, but I'm not an engineer and don't know or choose to discover what kind of draw the LED has.)

I may go back to the last (only?) 7.1 release that Bell did and see if for some reason that might make a difference. Soon, I'll have invested in time spent, more than the Passport would cost me outright, so there's that.

I loaded the AT&T 7.1 package and the phone's welcome screen still said Cincinnati Bell. Maybe it's just time to give up the ghost and move to 10.whtevr...

I'll likely tear down the 9900 again to give it one more look after I go back to the Bell 7.1. Ha, I tried the "unplug the battery once connected to BB Desktop software to upgrade/repair the OS"... maybe the phone is just rebelling...

Thanks for the replies...any other ideas welcome.

String
    03-15-15 09:15 AM