I am about to trade my Droid Razr for a Bold and I am pretty excited. Right now I am using my Tour (which runs on BB5 ) which doesn't have a very fast processor and has very little RAM. For these reasons, it isn't great for multitasking and web browsing. I have to cleanup the phone every day or every other day and get black clock of death every once in a great while (not for long though). What should I expect...multitasking, battery life, web browsing, black clocking, anything else? Cmon Bold owners! Thanks!
    07-27-12 06:26 PM
    Update to the sprint 7.1.0.580 as soon as you get it.

It's night and day between the tour and this thing...
    flash24 likes this.
    07-27-12 06:27 PM
    Update to the sprint 7.1.0.580 as soon as you get it.

It's night and day between the tour and this thing...
    I was considering updating to a Sprint OS since I know that Verizon's kind of suck. But hey, the Tour was top of the line back in the day haha. Very solid reliable phone. Just time to put it to rest. And Android wasn't for me
    07-27-12 06:30 PM
    Little early for this, but if you don't like the battery life and don't mind fat batteries:
    Amazon.com: Onite 3200mah Extended Battery for Blackberry 9900 / 9930, with custom made cover: Cell Phones & Accessories

$20, includes nfc antenna (other extended batteries do not), doesn't require a coder to use the battery. So far I haven't had any problems with it (only been half a day so far though).

Edit: looks like the nfc doesnt work. Looks like they put "some"nfc antenna on there. i bought and extra battery door and am gonna try to swap the antenna out.
    Last edited by papped; 07-28-12 at 02:48 AM.
    ajst222 likes this.
    07-27-12 06:33 PM
    The Bold 9930 is an awesome device. The Tour isn't even in the same ballpark. I would suggest upgrading to Sprint's 7.1.0.580, it's a solid build.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    07-27-12 07:50 PM
    You should be expecting a lot of rotating hourglass. hahaha Sorry bad joke. I love my 9930. No hourglass and no bricking, knock on wood. I love it, you should expect a home-coming feeling.
    07-27-12 10:19 PM
    You should be expecting a lot of rotating hourglass. hahaha Sorry bad joke. I love my 9930. No hourglass and no bricking, knock on wood. I love it, you should expect a home-coming feeling.
    DON'T JOKE ABOUT THAT!! Haha
    07-27-12 10:31 PM
    I have a 9900 on AT&T and the phone is great. I had my first one replaced under warranty because of a trackpad that scrolled up in sunlight, though. If you're a heavy user, you're going to want to purchase a spare battery and charger. I could barely get through the day, but almost every battery is different. Also, get some sort of protector for the battery door - it scratches very easily!
    07-27-12 10:46 PM
    I have a 9900 on AT&T and the phone is great. I had my first one replaced under warranty because of a trackpad that scrolled up in sunlight, though. If you're a heavy user, you're going to want to purchase a spare battery and charger. I could barely get through the day, but almost every battery is different. Also, get some sort of protector for the battery door - it scratches very easily!
    The one that I'm hopefully getting has a spare so I should be good there
    07-28-12 12:35 PM
    I'm glad I updated to the latest OS from Sprint.
    07-28-12 01:06 PM
    I am about to trade my Droid Razr for a Bold and I am pretty excited. Right now I am using my Tour (which runs on BB5 ) which doesn't have a very fast processor and has very little RAM. For these reasons, it isn't great for multitasking and web browsing. I have to cleanup the phone every day or every other day and get black clock of death every once in a great while (not for long though). What should I expect...multitasking, battery life, web browsing, black clocking, anything else? Cmon Bold owners! Thanks!
    You're going from a phone with a good size display to the 9930 that has a much smaller display. I find my 9930's display fine for stuff like making calls, emails, messaging but find it much too small for web browsing. Way too much pinching and zooming of web pages required.
    Why don't u take a look at the BB 9850/60? If I wanted to surf the web with a BB phone that would be my choice.

Just my 2cents.
    07-28-12 02:26 PM
    You're going from a phone with a good size display to the 9930 that has a much smaller display. I find my 9930's display fine for stuff like making calls, emails, messaging but find it much too small for web browsing. Way too much pinching and zooming of web pages required.
    Why don't u take a look at the BB 9850/60? If I wanted to surf the web with a BB phone that would be my choice.

Just my 2cents.
    I agree with you and the 9850 was my first choice. But I had trouble finding one (since I was trading not buying new) in a good condition, or even one at all. I decided to go with a little bit of a sacrifice. I would be fine with the web browsing on my Tour if it wasn't so damn slow. But the Bold is obviously MUCH faster and has a bigger screen. Plus the pinch to zoom will come in handy instead of going to the menu key all the time.
    07-28-12 03:38 PM
    I was considering updating to a Sprint OS since I know that Verizon's kind of suck. But hey, the Tour was top of the line back in the day haha. Very solid reliable phone. Just time to put it to rest. And Android wasn't for me
    Not really that Verizon's OS suck, just behind Sprint's at the moment. Also expect to have to buy a digital camera if you want to take pictures and don't already have one, of course it is supposed to be a smartphone, not necessarily a camera. Cases, pod chargers and many if not most apps for the Tour will not work with the 9930, probably a few other items, but it is a major upgrade with wifi, trackpad, more memory and blazing speed compared to the outdated Tour.
    07-28-12 04:29 PM
    Not really that Verizon's OS suck, just behind Sprint's at the moment. Also expect to have to buy a digital camera if you want to take pictures and don't already have one, of course it is supposed to be a smartphone, not necessarily a camera. Cases, pod chargers and many if not most apps for the Tour will not work with the 9930, probably a few other items, but it is a major upgrade with wifi, trackpad, more memory and blazing speed compared to the outdated Tour.
    Yea they really should've added autofocus on their "flagship" device....
    07-28-12 05:44 PM
    My hubby has a Tour - difference is night and day. 9930 is so much better. Faster everything and I love the choice between trackpad and touchscreen. You should expect a much better experience.
    ajst222 likes this.
    07-28-12 05:49 PM
    Browsing on the 9930 isn't bad. Obviously the screen is smaller than the Torch but I don't have a problem with it. The touchscreen and pinch to zoom works great.
    07-28-12 06:20 PM
    The screen on the 9930 is a lot better than on the 9650. I had the 9780 before I got the 9900, and the 9780 was similar to the 9650. When I got the 9900, I was kinda blown away at what a huge upgrade the 9900 was. The keyboard is just the best, and the speaker is great too. It also looks a lot more "luxurious" than the 9650. Some of my friends had the 9650, and while I liked it because of the bigger keyboard than my 9780, it felt kind of chunky. The 9930 looks like a real high end device, and the combination of the much faster OS7 and the touchscreen makes it the perfect BlackBerry.
    07-28-12 07:42 PM
    Came from a 9650 and it's much better. I need my mobile device to make goo calls, shocking I know, do text and email very well. The 9930 does that better than any device out there as far as I'm concerned. I don't use apps, except for beweather, and I don't browse.
    07-28-12 08:49 PM
    Also I've got a quick question...what OS is the latest "official" release from Verizon for the 9930?
    07-28-12 08:52 PM
    I believe it is 7.1.0.163, that's the version I have. Honestly, I haven't jumped ship to load any other carrier's OS or any leaked. It is stable enough with decent battery life, my phone lasts about 14-16 hours.
    07-28-12 11:54 PM
    I believe it is 7.1.0.163, that's the version I have. Honestly, I haven't jumped ship to load any other carrier's OS or any leaked. It is stable enough with decent battery life, my phone lasts about 14-16 hours.
    To anyone: What would be any advantages or features of jumping ship to another OS?
    07-29-12 07:44 AM
    To anyone: What would be any advantages or features of jumping ship to another OS?
    It's usually because it's the most up-to-date OS or to find the best OS. The best OS would give the most stable functionality while providing the best battery life.
    ajst222 likes this.
    07-29-12 10:22 AM
    It's usually because it's the most up-to-date OS or to find the best OS. The best OS would give the most stable functionality while providing the best battery life.
    Sort of what I though. But all that will really matter is that any 7.1 will have all the awesome features 7.0 didn't
    07-29-12 11:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD