Hey there -

Has NFC been confirmed with Verizon?

I know there was rumors that NFC would be based on carrier and that its possible AT&T wouldn't allow it on their devices.

I've noticed on Verizon's web site there is no mention of NFC in the adverts or specs. I think this would be one of the huge selling points of the new BlackBerry that they would want to advertise.

I'm sure once a new Droid comes out next month with NFC they'll make it seem like a much bigger deal.

Has anyone confirmed?
    Last edited by JMF5017; 08-15-11 at 07:05 PM.
    08-15-11 06:43 PM
    NFC is not a Verizon thing. From what I'm seeing it is going to be coming from banking institutions first as an option for making payments.

There is loads of info out there if you google it.
    08-15-11 07:12 PM
    I understand it is more hardware related than anything. But at the same time, NFC can only be activated by the software of the phone, which is locked to Verizon.

I've read on other sites that it is possible AT&T may be preventing NFC through software in their phones and I've noticed there has been no mention of it from Verizon - even in their Press Release.

I am curious to see if Verizon will actually support this feature and why they have not mentioned it.
    08-15-11 07:15 PM
    You know now I am very curious about this. Absolutely nowhere does it mention NFC in Verizon's materials. I guess I will have a better answer for you tomorrow when my device arrives.

I don't see why the carrier should care if you use NFC, unless they want to charge you for it.
    08-15-11 07:38 PM
    Well charging for it makes perfect sense haha.

Sprint did mention it in their press release.

I can't imagine Verizon would actually do this anyway, but I've been holding off on buying mine until I know for sure 100%.
    08-15-11 07:43 PM
    I guess we will all know on Tuesday.
    08-15-11 08:26 PM
    brings back memories when Verizon used to lock the GPS's in blackberries to try to make you pay for VZ Navigator
    08-15-11 09:37 PM
    Google will be giving out NFC "stickers" that you will be able to use with any mobile device. You would have to tie an already existing credit or debit card to the NFC account through Google. Screw Verizon

When it becomes available you will get a $10 credit

Google Prepaid Card
    The Google Prepaid Card is a virtual card that you can fund with any of your existing credit cards -- no Citi MasterCard required. After you activate the Google Prepaid Card in Google Wallet, you’ll get $10 in your account. Your first $10 spent with Google Wallet is on us.

You can then top up the card with additional funds from any of your plastic cards. You’ll pay no fees to top up your Google Prepaid Card at least until the end of 2011. Since the Google Prepaid Card is purely virtual, you won’t get an actual card in the mail.

The Google Prepaid Card is powered by MasterCard� and Money Network�.

Google Wallet - make your phone your wallet
    Last edited by cenloe; 08-15-11 at 09:47 PM.
    08-15-11 09:44 PM
    Google will be giving out NFC "stickers" that you will be able to use with any mobile device. You would have to tie an already existing credit or debit card to the NFC account through Google. Screw Verizon

When it becomes available you will get a $10 credit

Google Prepaid Card
    The Google Prepaid Card is a virtual card that you can fund with any of your existing credit cards -- no Citi MasterCard required. After you activate the Google Prepaid Card in Google Wallet, you’ll get $10 in your account. Your first $10 spent with Google Wallet is on us.

You can then top up the card with additional funds from any of your plastic cards. You’ll pay no fees to top up your Google Prepaid Card at least until the end of 2011. Since the Google Prepaid Card is purely virtual, you won’t get an actual card in the mail.

The Google Prepaid Card is powered by MasterCard� and Money Network�.

Google Wallet - make your phone your wallet

From the FAQ:
    Can I use Google Wallet with my phone?
    Google Wallet with tap and pay will be compatible with Nexus S 4G by Google, available on Sprint�.
    Last edited by AntiInsight; 08-15-11 at 09:55 PM.
    08-15-11 09:52 PM
    From the FAQ:
    Can I use Google Wallet with my phone?
    Google Wallet with tap and pay will be compatible with Nexus S 4G by Google, available on Sprint�.
    True but it's coming to all devices soon according to Google. iPhone, Android, and BB
    08-15-11 10:14 PM
    My device is not yet here so I cannot say it for a fact but the review on the main page does say the NFC option is missing on the 9930. Not good VzW, not good.

I'll post back when mine actually arrives.
    08-16-11 09:43 AM
    NFC is nowhere to be found on the 9930. It has the same NFC battery door as the 9900, but there is no NFC option on the software.
    08-16-11 09:44 AM
    Could be Verizon has not approved it YET? Hopefully Kevin, Adam and the blogging team can get us some answers from Verizon and/or RIM at some point. The hardware IS in place so IF and when Verizon decides to allow it, it probably can be added, so lets not panic TOO much. And besides there is not much you can do with it yet!
    08-16-11 10:01 AM
    Is this specific for Verizon or will Sprint be without NFC as well or is it still unknown since the phone hasn't been released yet?
    08-16-11 10:03 AM
    Hmmm. i think they're looking at how to monotize this thing. I won't be surprised if you get like a $2 per month for NFC use.
    Cherdos likes this.
    08-16-11 10:04 AM
    Wouldnt this just be fixed by a hybrid? if the hardware is there and another os has it working, would think BBH could get it working
    08-16-11 10:29 AM
    Sprint Bold will have the NFC enabled, while Verizon ones won't.
    08-16-11 11:09 AM
    maybe it will be fixed by software updates..soon..
    08-16-11 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD