Upgraded to Verizon OS 7.1 and found "blackberry device analyzer" under "advanced system settings" in the "options" menu.

Among the categories is "Issues in Device Responsiveness". However I can't get beyond the first screen because the app notes I have "free memory" of only "27%".

And the "27%" is a (minor) improvement after deleting all my old messages and trimming the calendar to retain only 15 days of past-entries.

The "27%" is a cold start from a battery pull. Smartguard is the only additional app that is running.

Is this normal? I did think the 9930 was a little more slugish than ideal, but not unworkably so. Is there a bigger issue with this BB?

Thanks.
    01-10-12 03:26 PM
    Mine is showing 33% free and does not go past the first screen, either. I think your free memory is affected by how many apps you have installed, not just what's running, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    01-10-12 03:51 PM
    Yes, all apps are installed in the memory, not in flash cards or other flash storage, so the numbers of apps installed makes a difference.
    01-24-12 02:57 AM
    I have 43% and 22 apps on my 9930. I hve about 225mb of free app space.
    01-24-12 03:15 AM
    Hello all... I've had to replace my VZW 9930 due to some issues and my new phone arrived 3 days ago. Since receiving my new phone, I found out I was apparently having a memory problem of some sort. The Blackberry Device Analyzer's "Device Responsiveness" feature advised me that I had low memory and advised me to do a reboot. I did this and my free memory went from 24 to 32 (whatever this means). The device advised me to track the issue for a few days. It apparently checks the following: Flash Free, Flash Free On Reset, Total Heap Size, Total Allocations and Total Garbage. I have NO idea what any of this means so I will be calling VZW once I finish this post.

*UPDATE: I finished my call with VZW tech support. We went through all of my memory options and I was advised that there must be something wrong with the new "Blackberry Device Analyzer's" software and they recommended that we do a wipe of my device and reinstall the newest software and that should resolve the problem. There is definitely something strange going on because I have very few apps and it should never read "32" in my memory let alone the problem "24". I have also noticed a bit of lag such as slow dragging and such, which I didn't notice on my original phone that I've had since August 2011.

Anyone know what the heck these are: Flash Free, Flash Free On Reset, Total Heap Size, Total Allocations and Total Garbage or how to get that number raised?????
    02-15-12 03:41 PM
    Get BBHTOOL (BBHTool (Public Version) - Downloads - BBH-Plus Forums) and "Shrink-A-OS"!

Select your OS folder, should look like this: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9930AllLang_v7.1.0.163_P5.1.0.137\

Select the useless crap you don't want in your OS, ie: Languages, and IM apps. Go down and select "Shrink My OS!".

Next goto: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe

I shrunk the out of mine, and I have 43% AND 385MB Free!

Im running OS 7.1.0.163 on 9930, if that's any constellation.
    keyhole likes this.
    02-15-12 09:54 PM
    ahh OS 7.1.0.163 on 9930, the constellation between the big and little dippers.
    Stompy and Shake like this.
    02-15-12 10:00 PM
    ahh OS 7.1.0.163 on 9930, the constellation between the big and little dippers.
    Always good to have a troll in the forums... I guess I spelled conselation wrong,lol. Trying to sound all sophisticated and junk.
    02-15-12 10:23 PM
    I am still on 7.0, I found a link to device analyzer about 2 weeks ago(estimated). What is the battery test all about, as in how does it help me save the battery?
    02-15-12 11:18 PM
    It doesn't. Just get one of those akwardly huge super batteries. I've got a 3000 mAh one and it lasts all day and night.
    02-15-12 11:49 PM
    Get BBHTOOL (BBHTool (Public Version) - Downloads - BBH-Plus Forums) and "Shrink-A-OS"!

Select your OS folder, should look like this: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9930AllLang_v7.1.0.163_P5.1.0.137\

Select the useless crap you don't want in your OS, ie: Languages, and IM apps. Go down and select "Shrink My OS!".

Next goto: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe

I shrunk the out of mine, and I have 43% AND 385MB Free!

Im running OS 7.1.0.163 on 9930, if that's any constellation.
    Have you updated to the new .267? If so, have you had to shrink yet again? I updated the other day and I am still reading between 26 and 32 on a consistent basis. I've never used a shrinking tool before (except a jump into a cold pool of water LOL !) so I am a little apprehensive about trying it? I'm running 7.1.0.267 on a 9930. Let me know what you think.... Thanks
    02-18-12 10:56 AM
    Hi Matthewpesonen. I downloaded BBHTOOL and brought up the Shrink an OS page. It asked what device I was using which I entered 9930. I then tried to locate the OS folder and it automatically found the two old versions that are in the trash and it had a line for "currently installed version". My question now is, if I start checking off all of the things I no longer want in order to shrink the version, being that its the version currently in use on my phone, will I then have to do a total reinstall of version .267 or will it just remove what I don't want which is what is already in my phone?

I'd love to just check all the boxes and then "Shrink my OS" and have it do so while my 9930 is plugged in and then have BBHTOOL tell me when its done. I'm just not sure how to use the tool on an existing version, that is the current version. I know I'm babbling a bit, but I hope you and others can understand....
    02-18-12 11:45 AM
    Hi Matthewpesonen. I downloaded BBHTOOL and brought up the Shrink an OS page. It asked what device I was using which I entered 9930. I then tried to locate the OS folder and it automatically found the two old versions that are in the trash and it had a line for "currently installed version". My question now is, if I start checking off all of the things I no longer want in order to shrink the version, being that its the version currently in use on my phone, will I then have to do a total reinstall of version .267 or will it just remove what I don't want which is what is already in my phone?

I'd love to just check all the boxes and then "Shrink my OS" and have it do so while my 9930 is plugged in and then have BBHTOOL tell me when its done. I'm just not sure how to use the tool on an existing version, that is the current version. I know I'm babbling a bit, but I hope you and others can understand....
    Not sure about BBHTOOL but BB BOSS 2.2 has an option to direct shrink the OS on the phone.
    keyhole likes this.
    02-18-12 11:49 AM
    Hi Matthewpesonen. rereading your post about BBHTOOL, it now seems to me that after ridding myself of all the unwanted junk and "Shrinking the OS" you direct me to go to AppLoader. That says to me that after I shrink the OS, I'm going to the loader.exe in order to reload my OS that I just shrunk. Does this sound accurate?

Thanks Legal Eagle... I have the one tool downloaded now and if that doesn't work for me, I will definitely try your suggestion.
    02-19-12 04:43 AM
    Yea, Loader.exe will wipe your phone, and install the OS you just shrunk. Dont worry, it will still keep all of your pictures and stuff in the folders, it just gets rid of the OS
    02-21-12 08:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD