Hi guys,

about one year ago I purchased the 9930 on Amazon (from London), it's a Verizon one. It worked perfectly with Orange UK. I moved to Italy and it worked perfectly with Vodafone. Then I moved to Argentina and it worked perfectly even there, with Claro. Now I just moved to New York and it's a disaster. I tried everything: T-mobile, At&T, Speed, Simple Mobile and Verizon. I'm able to make calls and send texts but I don't have any data. No bbm, no internet, no apps, nothing. It just goes on edge (lower case). I passed 5 hours on the phone with T-Mobile experts troubleshooting, nothing. Even Verizon (the phone is Verizon branded) said that the serial nr of my bb is not registered with them and that data is never gonna work.
    Anyone able to help me out?

Thank you very much
    09-08-12 12:34 AM
    you must activate your BIS data plan in order to have your internet/bbm/apps to work.

ask your carrier on how to activate your BIS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-08-12 01:46 AM
    Try tech support at Rim they should be able to clear this issue up for you.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-08-12 05:45 AM
    I did, they transfered me to the RIM experts. They said that the phone is ok, the problem is that it's not able to register with the internet service of the carrier. The carrier says it's RIM's fault. (they tell me to go to adv options ->host routing table and press register now. I don't receive any registration)
    09-08-12 09:55 AM
    When you go under options, networks and connections, mobile network for Verizon make sue network selection mode is set for Automatic Business and Network Technology is set for global. For a GSM company change Network Technology to GSM/UMTS. Than try and re register
    09-08-12 10:12 AM
    Already tried, nothing.
    09-08-12 11:15 AM
    I believe that the 9930 is a CDMA device. You need a network that's compatible with it. I'm not in the US but am sure that Verizon & Sprint support CDMA. Contact them.
    09-08-12 06:14 PM
    You are in the US, so the 9930 only wants to see VZW CDMA network. GSM/WCDMA (UMTS/HSPA+) is only available when outside the US. Maybe VZW can unlock the phone for you, but I'm not confident you'll ever get HSPA+ connectivity in the US even if they SIM unlock it. The 9930 is factory ROM locked to WCDMA 900/2100. In order to obtain WCDMA (HSPA+) in the US you need either 1900 (AT&T) or 1700/2100 (TMo).

Basically, I think you are never gonna get anything more than EDGE even if you get this phone SIM unlocked.

In other words, now that you are in the US, just join VZW. They are a great carrier, albeit expensive!
    Last edited by claykin; 09-08-12 at 07:00 PM.
    09-08-12 06:57 PM
    The phone is unlocked I think. EDGE would be enough for me, I just need bbm and emails! Should I try to go unlock it and see what happens?
    09-08-12 07:01 PM
    I assumed that it was unlocked as you already used it on several networks in different countries.

Are you using a Verizon SIM card? Did you buy a BIS plan with Verizon?
    09-08-12 07:02 PM
    Verizon and Sprint both said that the phone is never gonna work with them after they checked the serial nr. Disaster. I'm gonna go and buy a curve or smth just for these 4 months I think.
    09-08-12 07:06 PM
    Did you ask them why? If the phone is branded Verizon and you get a Verizon start screen, they should be willing to activate it. Unless its on their theft list. I would dig deeper. If you are in NY, VZW is your best carrier option for coverage.
    09-08-12 07:30 PM
    I got the phone from amazon, ordered a 9900 but got a 9930. Thought they were the same but turns out they're not.. I asked them, in 2 different branches, I believe it's on their theft list. I just purchased a brand new old style curve 8900 from amazon for 120$, best blackberry I've ever had. Hopefully it's gonna work! ahah
    09-08-12 07:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD