Hi everyone. I just received my 9930 and day 2, and already having problems with it.

The first thing I noticed was how SLOW App World is. I keep getting the hourglass when I try to do anything on there, to the point where I just gave up trying. Nice going, RIM.

Next, after one full day of use on the new battery, when I plugged in my phone, it didn't start charging, and it popped up with a message that the charger can't charge the device. Um, okay. I tried a different charger (from my prev. model BBerry)...same message. I plugged it into my computer, same.

Finally decided on a battery pull and it seemed to then recognize the charger. However, after 8 hours on charge (overnight), when I went to unplug the phone today, the charge dropped to 90% immediately. How disappointing...brand new phone, too!

The good news is, the charge lasted in the 80% range throughout the day with a few short calls, a few texts, and a handful of emails. So I plugged it into the charger again, and it started charging, but it never went up to a full charge (it keeps saying it's 80% full, never goes above that).

I called Sprint - and they created a ticket for me to go to a Service Center (store). Are you kidding me, on a 2-day old phone already?!

I called RIM directly, and spoke to a very nice rep there; she said since Sprint didn't refer me, they'd normally charge $49.99 for tech support BUT she'd wave that and transfer me to tech support. Great!

The tech support guy, though, was a dud. I told him the issue, and he said it's the battery. I told him I'd read oodles of pages online about people having this issue and changing the battery didn't change the problem. He said, then it's the phone itself (really, this is "tech" support??). So he said to get Sprint to send me a new battery - and I'd have to make that call - and if that doesn't work, then to ask Sprint to send me a new phone.

I asked, "Is this a known issue with this model?" and he said "Nope, it is not known."

I mentioned how there are many pages online of people complaining about this very issue (mentioned this site as well) and he said, "Nope, not aware of that". Well, BECOME AWARE, sheesh!

I asked why he thought this was happening, and he said, "Likely a bad batch of phones". Really?! They said that to me with my last 3 Tours!

So in the end, I am getting my phone replaced and skipping the entire battery replacement ordeal (as I've read it doesn't fix the issue anyway).

Just now, I plugged in my phone to my computer to at least back up everything from the past 24 hours and it won't recognize the charger again!! Had to battery pull AGAIN to get the phone to respond. This is worse than the Tour 9630!!

Come on, RIM!

FYI, I did update to the newest OS release put out by Sprint - which I was notified wirelessly by, the minute my phone was activated (Build 7.1 bundle 457). I don't know if THAT is the issue or not, but prior to upgrading the OS, the phone was slow as molasses. Now it's fast, but it won't charge or recognize the charger. Hmpf.

Otherwise, this is a gorgeous phone, but what's the point if it's too slow, won't charge, or...as I'm expecting, it will shortly brick?
    Last edited by HollyDay; 12-31-11 at 01:40 AM.
    12-31-11 01:24 AM
    I can definitely see why you are upset on this issue. However, this is certainly not the experience of the majority of 99xx users. Hopefully your problems are solved with the new phone!!
    12-31-11 01:35 AM
    I've had a couple instances where mine didn't charge fully, and the large drop from 100% to ~90% is being noticed on the forums. I did not need to replace mine though, as I discovered that when shut off and then placed on the charger it will fully charge the device. I haven't had to worry about it since updating the OS; my current habit is putting it on the charger when I go to sleep and letting it turn off by itself, and turn back on in the morning after fully charging. You could try turning yours off as well before charging, and let it sit a bit afterwards in order to see if that could be a viable solution. Also, with 7.1 you can run diagnostic tests on the battery to test for charging and draining issues. Use Universal Search and type "analyzer" (without quotes) and it should come up after 3 letters.
    12-31-11 02:15 AM
    I've had a couple instances where mine didn't charge fully, and the large drop from 100% to ~90% is being noticed on the forums. I did not need to replace mine though, as I discovered that when shut off and then placed on the charger it will fully charge the device. I haven't had to worry about it since updating the OS; my current habit is putting it on the charger when I go to sleep and letting it turn off by itself, and turn back on in the morning after fully charging. You could try turning yours off as well before charging, and let it sit a bit afterwards in order to see if that could be a viable solution. Also, with 7.1 you can run diagnostic tests on the battery to test for charging and draining issues. Use Universal Search and type "analyzer" (without quotes) and it should come up after 3 letters.
    I didn't know about the "analyzer," so thanks for that! According to it, my battery is fine...but it says the phone's memory is at 21%! When I look to see why, there are no good reasons. I barely have had this phone and only have my contacts and emails (about 87) on my phone. Even with a reboot, the memory keeps holding steady at 21% - I don't even know what that means!
    12-31-11 04:43 AM
    I would do daily backups.
    12-31-11 06:21 AM
    On an unshrunken os the help app alone can be 25+mb, voice dialing another 10mb. Just shriking out those will get you to 30%.
    If you just bought the phone thereprobably preinstalled crap on it. Didn't sprint say they load carrieriq on their 9930s?

I'm assuming you're running 7.1.0.163. It is a known issue (at least around here) that the battery drops from 100-92% on every build since 576 (576,579,585,590,594,7.1.0.163+).

Personally, id avoid the ota update next time. The bb7 phones have enough stability issues already llol

21% memory is your available application memory. Options>applications. Scroll left/right to storage and view what is installed by order of >. You can also go to options> status and hit menu>database sizes, and see if you have any massive databases. Bb7 (actually works now) automatically loads images in email. I realized a few after a few spam email and the holidays I had to uncheck the option because it was eating my application storage space (content store or attachment data). To turn off auto image loading in email, open messages menu>options>email prefrences
    Last edited by nah.uhh; 12-31-11 at 06:59 AM.
    12-31-11 06:49 AM
    well,
    here is my story...
    i brought 4 9900 for myself and 3 of my friends.
    2 of them died same night of charging...
    and they were very upset..

i email RIM, on this and they replied...

Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support.

First, in regards to "bricking", any software issues on the device can be taken care of by performing a "reset to factory" (KB18998-How to reset the BlackBerry smartphone to factory defaults) and then updating your device with the newest software available from your carrier.

We are working on a software update to extend the battery life of the 9900 series of BlackBerry smartphones. Once this software is ready, we will be handing it over to carriers who will customize the software (usually just branding it) and then they will release it on their site. I would recommend watching your carrier site for updates and apply them when they become available. You can compare the software version to that on your device by going into Options > About and comparing the version number to the one released by your carrier.

Sincerely Bryan,

BlackBerry Customer Support
    Research In Motion Limited
    Tel:
    NA Toll Free: 1-877-255-2377
    UK Toll Free: 0808 100 7466
    Europe: +44 1753 558400
    Worldwide: +1-519-888-6181
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com

***Now Available - BlackBerry Training for BlackBerry Enterprise Server software administrators. For information about current course offerings, please visit BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM).

BLACKBERRY� PLAYBOOK� - WORK SMARTER. PLAY HARDER.
    Introducing the world�s first professional-grade tablet.
    BlackBerry PlayBook
    Last edited by infinus; 12-31-11 at 07:43 AM.
    12-31-11 07:38 AM
    I've not read every post in this thread, but I will say this. When you first get your device, I recommend using a USB charge for the first couple of cycles. It seems to do wonders for the BlackBerry and battery lifetime...
    bruteforce037 likes this.
    12-31-11 07:43 AM
    Install 540. Will fix many battery related issues. It fixed the 90 percent issue for me. I did that last in my troubleshooting and wish I did it first.
    12-31-11 08:09 AM
    Install 540. Will fix many battery related issues. It fixed the 90 percent issue for me. I did that last in my troubleshooting and wish I did it first.
    The OP can't install 540 on a 9930

The first thing I noticed was how SLOW App World is. I keep getting the hourglass when I try to do anything on there, to the point where I just gave up trying. Nice going, RIM.
    I didn't read your entire missive, but App World works fine. You could try deleting the app and reinstalling it.

I never recommend OTA updates, if I were you I'd wipe and reload your OS immediately.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 12-31-11 at 08:51 AM.
    12-31-11 08:46 AM
    Thanks for all the responses!

First, I just unplugged my phone after 13 hours of charge and it said 100%. By the time I walked over to my computer, it now says 90%. I literally only have to unplug the phone to lose 10% charge.

Second, the available free memory on my phone (under Device and Status information) is 117983406 bytes, which seems like a lot..? But under the Analyzer, choosing "Issues With Device Responsiveness/Test Device Responsiveness," it says:

Free Memory: 21%
    The device appears to be running out of memory. The following contains tools and device summaries that are available to help free up memory which will improve responsiveness.

So I press Show Device Summary and here's the break down:

SMS Messages: 9.7K
    MMS Messages: 0.0K
    Attachment Data: 56.2K

Calendar: 52.5K

Content Store (Multimedia files)
    Built-in Media Storage: 6.2GB
    Total Free: 6.0GB
    Total Used: 299.1MB

Browser: 67.9K

Third Party Applications: 30864.2K

Memory Cleaner (which I ran) and didn't make any difference in the memory % reading under Analyzer. So why is the memory so low?

My device is running 7.1.0.163 - as correctly mentioned above - Platform 5.1.0.137. This was an OTA update, but even before I agreed to wirelessly install it, my Desktop Manager also said the same update is available. So are you folks saying to downgrade to the original, out-of-the-box OS? (it is faster with the OTA OS, but there is the battery issue...and the charger not being recognized, of course).

I also just received my replacement phone, but I want to play with this current one and make some changes - per your suggestions - before I switch over, if things don't improve. I do like the phone a lot (and I switched to BBerry from the Samsung Galaxy SII - which I loved, but got no reception on). This phone serves most of my purposes, but I don't want to have to back it up every day due to possible memory drain (which I don't even understand), or the charger not working.

Would appreciate your input!

Also, Sprint users...did your 9930 come with a micro SD card? Mine didn't.
    Last edited by HollyDay; 12-31-11 at 05:21 PM.
    12-31-11 05:13 PM
    That 10% drop is not uncommon, it's a "feature" of the newer OS builds including 7.1.0.163. I'm not suggesting you roll back to whatever OS your device came with. I'm suggesting you do a complete backup, wipe your Bold with BBSAK and reload the 7.1 OS.

Edit: the 9930 doesn't come with an SD card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 12-31-11 at 05:28 PM.
    12-31-11 05:26 PM
    That 10% drop is not uncommon, it's a "feature" of the newer OS builds including 7.1.0.163.
    When I think of "feature," I think of something positive. Are you saying it's a good thing, then, or that it's an issue with the newer OS build?
    I'm not suggesting you roll back to whatever OS your device came with. I'm suggesting you do a complete backup, wipe your Bold with BBSAK and reload the 7.1 OS.
    You mean reload the 7.1 OS via the Desktop Manager this time, rather than OTA, after the wipe?

By the way, are you using an app to post on here or are you doing it via the BBerry browser?
    12-31-11 05:33 PM
    I was being sarcastic by using the word feature. The newer builds of 7.0 and 7.1 have it. All things considered, its not that big of a deal. It's a bug I can live with, I get better battery life with 7.1 than I did with 7.0

Yes, I am suggesting you wipe the OS with BBSAK and then reload it with apploader. I used to use tapatalk to post here, but didn't really care for it. I post from the browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-11 06:11 PM
    I was being sarcastic by using the word feature. The newer builds of 7.0 and 7.1 have it. All things considered, its not that big of a deal. It's a bug I can live with, I get better battery life with 7.1 than I did with 7.0
    Ahh, got it.
    Yes, I am suggesting you wipe the OS with BBSAK and then reload it with apploader.
    Cool..will try this. And then can I upload all my data from the backup? That shouldn't affect the OS, right?

I used to use tapatalk to post here, but didn't really care for it. I post from the browser.
    Ok, thanks.
    12-31-11 06:14 PM
    Cool..will try this. And then can I upload all my data from the backup? That shouldn't affect the OS, right?
    Right, restoring your data shouldn't be a problem; but if your Bold runs slow after this wipe and reload, then you could have a corrupt database.

As far as the 100% > 90% drop it affects the following OS builds:

The 100% - 92% battery drop is a feature/bug/glitch in .576 .579 .585 .590 and 7.1.0.163 for ALL users of those OS builds
    HollyDolly likes this.
    12-31-11 06:23 PM
    Right, restoring your data shouldn't be a problem; but if your Bold runs slow after this wipe and reload, then you could have a corrupt database.
    By corruptdatabase, you mean the actual phone, not my data, correct?

If that's the case, then I will move to the replacement phone and start over.

Will post update (tomorrow).

Happy New Year!
    12-31-11 07:18 PM
    By corruptdatabase, you mean the actual phone, not my data, correct?

If that's the case, then I will move to the replacement phone and start over.

Will post update (tomorrow).

Happy New Year!
    No, corrupt data doesn't mean the phone itself. It means some of the data in your backup is corrupt and can cause errors.
    12-31-11 07:42 PM
    I used BBASK to wipe my phone, but it wouldn't reload the OS, so downloaded the newest OS from BBerry site, then used the APPLoader to reinstall. It went fine.

Now I'm waiting to see how the phone acts tomorrow, since a battery pull was already done after the reload. If the charge issues returns, the phone is a lemon.

I haven't reloaded any of my apps from the backup and will do so 1 by 1 to see if any of them are causing the charging issues - though I doubt it. Will post update tomorrow.
    Last edited by HollyDay; 01-02-12 at 02:58 AM.
    01-02-12 02:40 AM
    If the charge issues returns, the phone is a lemon.

I haven't reloaded any of my apps from the backup and will do so 1 by 1 to see if any of them are causing the charging issues - though I doubt it. Will post update tomorrow.
    The ONLY issue you have is with "device not recognizing charger". Bad software doesn't make the device a lemon. Not recognizing the charger (randomly) sounds like an incorrectly loaded/corrupt os. If that "device not charging" continues after the proper os install, that is the only reason I'd exchange..

21% memory = app memory, I just told you 40+ mb is bloatware. Any stock os runs (comparitively)low on memory... And the 100-92 drop is a consistently reproducable error on EVERY Os 7.0.0.576+ and 7.0.0.163+.
    01-02-12 10:35 AM
    I just received an e-mail from Blackberry tech support regarding the charger not being recognized. Here's what it says, "This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team for investigation. The only workaround in which you have already discovered is to hard reset the device by manually removing and re inserting the device battery."

That's not an option, to pull the battery every time the phone needs to charge...
    01-02-12 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD