Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By dangerousfen
  • 1 Post By dangerousfen
  • 3 Post By Jay Hopkins
  • 1 Post By MADBRADNYC
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default 9930 Bold Auto-Dim Issue Resolved!!

Just sharing my frustrating experience with my 9930 that was stuck on auto-dim despite my turning off that feature and Battery Saving Mode Feature. What would occur is the phone would light up in the light and when placed in a dim or dark environment the screen would dim to a barely readable display after about 15 seconds. After some exhaustingly lengthy research and a trip to Verizon failed to fix this known and reported issue, I was able to analyze and finally resolve it by performing the following:

1) Erasing my phone with JL_CMDER.

2) Installing version OS 7.1.0.755 for the Bold 9930, try to setup from scratch and re-import the bare minimum. During setup go to Settings> Display> Screen Display and make sure that Automatically Dim Backlight is unchecked and that the Backlight Timeout is set to the 2 Min maximum. You can set Backlight Brightness to whatever you prefer (I set mine at 90).

3) Pull the battery and remove the memory card completely and if you have a can of compressed air carefully blow air into the memory holding cavity. Then re-insert the battery and start up the phone.

4) After boot up completes, remove the battery once again and re-insert the memory card. Then re-insert the battery and start the phone back up.

The issue should now be resolved and you can navigate to Settings> Device> Battery Saving Mode and check off the box for Turn on Battery Saving Mode when battery power level is low and you can set the Start when battery power is at or drops below to 20% ( I set mine to 10%).

I hopes this helps anyone who is exasperated looking for a fix to this problem and this may also work for the 9900 Bold as well. Users have reported that they've had to change out their phone hardware in attempts to try and resolve this and here's hoping I can save others from having to resort to that. Give it a shot and comment back your success for others.
    Thanked by:
    tqmcguire (07-21-2013) 
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    15,147 Global Posts

I haven't had the problem you describe, so I can't test your solution. What is the point of blowing air into the media card slot?
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

To clear out any dust that may be causing a connectivity issue. The problem definitely is centered around this memory slot or a bad memory card. If someone is experiencing this issue they may just have to follow steps 3 & 4 and be done with it. I detailed all the steps I took to resolve this just in case they tried that and it failed to resolve their stuck auto-dim problem.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Resolved

I believe this method worked for me. Thanks for taking the time to share it, I was starting to lose hope after all the 'do a battery pull's and 'uncheck auto-dim'. Pheww
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Thanks, glad it was able to resolve the problem!
    CrackBerry Genius

Hmmm...
    So, you basically wiped your device and reloaded your OS along with a couple of battery pulls to make sure your settings stick.
    MY TAKE ON THE Z10... I DON'T KNOW HOW, OR WHY, BUT IT WORKS!!!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Re-read the instructions again. It also involved reseating the memory card. Hey, I just posted what worked for me after trying to find a resource to resolve this frustrating issue and wanted to share it to help others.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    That's for me to know and you to guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Man View Post
    Re-read the instructions again. It also involved reseating the memory card. Hey, I just posted what worked for me after trying to find a resource to resolve this frustrating issue and wanted to share it to help others.
    Don't get upset. I'm certain Brad is quite right. The Memory card or slot can't possibly have anything to do with your original problem. Reloading the OS is pretty much your answer.
    Do as you would be done by and 12 pence to the shilling (or 100 cents to the dollar).

Into every life a little ale must pour
    Thanked by:
    MADBRADNYC (02-26-2013) 
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Not upset, and I thought the same thing when I read that the memory card might have anything to do with it. I tried a number of things previously which failed, including re-installing the OS twice. Then I tried what I documented here and it worked for whatever reason.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    That's for me to know and you to guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Man View Post
    Not upset, and I thought the same thing when I read that the memory card might have anything to do with it. I tried a number of things previously which failed, including re-installing the OS twice. Then I tried what I documented here and it worked for whatever reason.
    Well OK, I hear what you say, but I find it amazing that what you did with the memory card fixed the issue you were having. I will secure that one into the old memory bank for future reference.

Well done anyway.

Alan.
    Do as you would be done by and 12 pence to the shilling (or 100 cents to the dollar).

Into every life a little ale must pour
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    CrackBerry User

9930 Bold Auto-Dim Issue Resolved!!-cute-fox-licking-window-400x285.jpgI've heard that if the external speaker stops working, the textbook solution is to lick the battery 2-4 times. Make sure to get real good contact on the plus and negative connectors............
    Thanked by 2:
    dangerousfen (02-26-2013),  MADBRADNYC (02-26-2013) 
    MADBRADNYC, dangerousfen and fryk like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by dangerousfen View Post
    Don't get upset. I'm certain Brad is quite right. The Memory card or slot can't possibly have anything to do with your original problem. Reloading the OS is pretty much your answer.
    ^^^THIS!!^^^
    I can pretty much guarantee that memory card re-seating and blowing compressed air into the card slot has nothing at all to do with the native auto-dim feature.

I'm glad the OP has found a resolution to his issue, but I don't think what the OP believes is a fix rises to the level of a CB 101 or BB KB article.
    MY TAKE ON THE Z10... I DON'T KNOW HOW, OR WHY, BUT IT WORKS!!!
    Thanked by:
    dangerousfen (02-26-2013) 
    dangerousfen likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts

I noticed this problem on my AT&T 9900 after updating to 1033. I didn't wipe, I just pulled the battery and card then rebooted without the memory card. Pulled the battery again and put the card back in. Rebooted and viola, brightness control is back. Thanks a bunch!