I started a thread in the Ask a Question section but thought I'd post here to get more eyes on it:

http://forums.crackberry.com/ask-que...pdate-1074806/

I just got a "new" sealed-in-box 9930 and activated it on Verizon. BIS is working fine. I have email accounts connected and I am logged into my account on BlackBerry World.

I have a notification that an update is available for BlackBerry ID, but when I try to install the update I get an error message:

"The software upgrade was interrupted. Please try again."

When I try to open BBM it tells me I need a BlackBerry ID update and when I try to do it from there it gives me different error message:

"Sorry, the software update server is unavailable. Please try again."

I keep "trying again" and get the same errors.

I've tried battery pulls and full security wipes from both the device and BlackBerry Desktop. I've tried creating a new BlackBerry ID and setting the phone up with that in case my main ID was somehow corrupted. I've tried fiddling with security settings and deleting and reinstalling every app I can. Nothing has worked.

BBM will not work without the updated BlackBerry ID software, so I really need to figure this out.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    05-27-16 05:35 PM
    Its good you put it here. To get the ball rolling, I'm still thinking that maybe if you install an earlier version of OS7.1 then the BBID update issue might dissappear, because the update might be attatched to the version you are on.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-27-16 05:55 PM
    One more thing, but not sure if it would make a difference, try using a different email. For example my Hotmail/Outlook never had to be "made less secure" like Gmail to be verified by the Blackberry.

But maybe it is some setting or some corrupt issue.

Just a thought.

05-27-16 07:30 PM
    I have the same issue with the BBM / BBID update.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-16 08:03 PM
    One more thing, but not sure if it would make a difference, try using a different email. For example my Hotmail/Outlook never had to be "made less secure" like Gmail to be verified by the Blackberry.

But maybe it is some setting or some corrupt issue.

Just a thought.

I had this problem before I added any email accounts.

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    05-27-16 08:20 PM
    Its good you put it here. To get the ball rolling, I'm still thinking that maybe if you install an earlier version of OS7.1 then the BBID update issue might dissappear, because the update might be attatched to the version you are on.

I thought about that, but not quite sure how I would downgrade. I'm not sure I want to attempt it.

Newfangled | C003C2D50
    05-27-16 08:21 PM
    reset BBID, log in from computer, change password.

And this.....

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...mber=000026694
    05-27-16 09:35 PM
    05-27-16 09:38 PM
    reset BBID, log in from computer, change password.

And this.....

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/art...mber=000026694
    After one of the numerous security wipes I've done, I created a completely new BBID and tried updating it with that. No luck.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-27-16 09:46 PM
    Hey Newfangled, as I understand correct - the BlackBerry ID update notification you are receiving when you open the BlackBerry World? I've just read on my local BB Forum about similar issue.
    Anyway, do all this things on Wi-Fi connection.

0 step - update the OS
    1 step - unistall BBworld via Desktop Software
    2 step restart BB
    3 step install the BBWorld
    4 step 3 restarts the BB
    5 step - open AppWorld and update BB ID

Do it with your BB connected to Wi-Fi.

The guy who had this problem just uninstall and install again the BlackBerry World. Off course for the first time, still he was receiving the error like you. But after 3 or 4 time of re- installing the BBWorld he go though it and it works. Try this.
    05-28-16 06:25 AM
    Hey Newfangled, as I understand correct - the BlackBerry ID update notification you are receiving when you open the BlackBerry World? I've just read on my local BB Forum about similar issue.
    Anyway, do all this things on Wi-Fi connection.

0 step - update the OS
    1 step - unistall BBworld via Desktop Software
    2 step restart BB
    3 step install the BBWorld
    4 step 3 restarts the BB
    5 step - open AppWorld and update BB ID

Do it with your BB connected to Wi-Fi.

The guy who had this problem just uninstall and install again the BlackBerry World. Off course for the first time, still he was receiving the error like you. But after 3 or 4 time of re- installing the BBWorld he go though it and it works. Try this.
    My problem is not the same. BlackBerry World works just fine. It recognizes my BlackBerry ID and I can see and install my previously used apps.

I get this error when I try to open BBM.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled BBM several times and it hasn't helped.

05-28-16 07:39 AM
    My problem is not the same. BlackBerry World works just fine. It recognizes my BlackBerry ID and I can see and install my previously used apps.

I get this error when I try to open BBM.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled BBM several times and it hasn't helped.

I don't know if you've already tried this, but have you checked to see whether an old version of BBM works? If it does, it might indicate that the problem is with the latest version of the app and not elsewhere. There's an older version available OTA at the iexplorers.
    05-28-16 07:56 AM
    Did you try it via Wi-Fi?
    05-28-16 08:10 AM
    I don't know if you've already tried this, but have you checked to see whether an old version of BBM works? If it does, it might indicate that the problem is with the latest version of the app and not elsewhere. There's an older version available OTA at the iexplorers.
    I installed the version from that website and it seems to recognize my BlackBerry ID and prompts me to transfer my info to this device!

I haven't done it, though, because it's a much older version and I'm concerned it wouldn't work or might mess something up.

Maybe if I did and then tried to install the latest version it would work?

Regardless, this strongly suggests it has something to do with the latest version of BBM.

05-28-16 09:06 AM
    Did you try it via Wi-Fi?
    Yes, both WiFi and 3G.

05-28-16 09:07 AM
    I installed the version from that website and it seems to recognize my BlackBerry ID and prompts me to transfer my info to this device!

I haven't done it, though, because it's a much older version and I'm concerned it wouldn't work or might mess something up.

Maybe if I did and then tried to install the latest version it would work?

Regardless, this strongly suggests it has something to do with the latest version of BBM.

I don't know. I was wondering if once you got all set up, you could upgrade?
    05-28-16 09:38 AM
    Are you on Verizon's latest OS version? If not, it's possible that the latest version of BBM doesn't play well with older versions of the OS.

Edit: I don't imagine the older version could damage your BBM account. If that happened, I'm sure we would have seen reports of it by now, when people switched back to old devices.

Edit 2: It seems that a lot of people did downgrade from an older version of BBM 8 to 7. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...49/index2.html
    Last edited by Shuswap; 05-28-16 at 10:07 AM.
    05-28-16 09:48 AM

Newfangled, for the record...
    What version of BBM was this? What's the version causing you problems?
    I have 8.0.0.44 running on my 9900, is that the latest? I'm not looking for an upgrade, especially hearing your problems, but I don't recall being offered another version of BBM since I last upgraded my OS.
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 05-28-16 at 10:04 AM.
    05-28-16 09:51 AM
    My BBM is version 8.5.3.9 and even though I'm on an old version of 7.1, last month there was an OTA update for my BBM and this is what I have now. This version is from April/May 2015.

anon(8063781) likes this.
    05-28-16 10:24 AM
    I don't know. I was wondering if once you got all set up, you could upgrade?
    The new version would probably still think it needed the BlackBerry ID upgrade. I may try it but I need to work up the courage, haha.

05-28-16 11:36 AM
    Are you on Verizon's latest OS version? If not, it's possible that the latest version of BBM doesn't play well with older versions of the OS.

Edit: I don't imagine the older version could damage your BBM account. If that happened, I'm sure we would have seen reports of it by now, when people switched back to old devices.

Edit 2: It seems that a lot of people did downgrade from an older version of BBM 8 to 7. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...49/index2.html
    I am on Verizon's latest OS - at least the one BlackBerry Desktop prompted me to install the first time I connected it.

05-28-16 11:38 AM
    The new version would probably still think it needed the BlackBerry ID upgrade. I may try it but I need to work up the courage, haha.

Look at it this way, you'll always regret if you never do it, and when you do it, and even if it still fails, at least you can say you tried everything.
    05-28-16 11:47 AM
    My BBM is version 8.5.3.9 and even though I'm on an old version of 7.1, last month there was an OTA update for my BBM and this is what I have now. This version is from April/May 2015.

This is the version I'm trying to run.

05-28-16 11:52 AM
    I've completely uninstalled BBM and done a battery pull.

I still get a notification that a BBID update is available but it still won't let me download it.

05-28-16 12:06 PM

It might or might not. There's a version of Google Maps that only worked for some people after they downgraded and then re-upgraded. So there's a precedent at least.
    05-28-16 12:11 PM
47 12