In the video posted a few days ago ( ), the person from RIM said while speaking about the 9900 that it has a scratch resistant hardened glass. Does anyone have any more information on this? I know it's not the gorilla glass that has gained so much publicity, but is this RIM's own version of that glass?
    07-05-11 11:05 AM
    They may have added a special layer on top of the glass. But I don't think it will be as strong as gorilla glass for sure.
    07-05-11 11:17 AM
    It might be good. I have seen gorilla glass scratched, so it is not magic!

I guess I have been lucky and not scratched any of my RIM device screens, but then I am old and use a holster!
    eBud likes this.
    07-05-11 11:41 AM
    Pardon my ignorance, what's a gorilla glass?
    07-05-11 11:41 AM
    Pardon my ignorance, what's a gorilla glass?
    Let me google that for you
    mssca, maevinj and Chaz720 like this.
    07-05-11 11:43 AM
    Gorilla glass is equal to the name kleenex its just a brand name. There are other manufacturers who make hard scratch resistant glass that is just as good if not better than Gorilla.
    07-05-11 11:54 AM
    I suspect that the same glass is also used on the playbook? I called playbook technical support and asked if it had gorilla glass, he told me no but that the glass is very durable and scratch resistant. Not sure what standards RIM holds itself to in this regard (I also doubt it's as good as gorilla glass), but I am curious to see if it's just a cheap ploy (some minor layer on top of the glass), or did RIM actually spend some money and time on R&D to develop a really good glass?
    07-05-11 11:55 AM
    Im just gonna get a screen protector ... lol
    07-05-11 11:56 AM
    The Invisible Shield is all you need. It'll improve the fracture-resistance of the glass, and stop it from getting scratched too. (I have this stuff on my Tour. It's always fun to whip out my keys and try to scruff the screen with them while people look... alarmed... )
    07-05-11 12:00 PM
    The Invisible Shield is all you need. It'll improve the fracture-resistance of the glass, and stop it from getting scratched too. (I have this stuff on my Tour. It's always fun to whip out my keys and try to scruff the screen with them while people look... alarmed... )
    I have the invisible shield on my 8330 and while it's good at resisting scratches, the lint and other **** it collects at the edges works inward after a little while and makes the phone look bacteria-infested.

i would not recommend the full body protection to anyone, rather, get a rubber case + screen protector
    07-05-11 12:29 PM
    The decision of whether to get a screen protector or not is not the point here. The question is, has RIM invested the effort and resources to make a product as good as it can make it? Choosing to get a screen protector is great if you like your screen to be covered, but RIM should design this phone so that you don't feel the need to because of its build quality.
    Last edited by grujaz10; 07-05-11 at 03:39 PM.
    bigbamboo likes this.
    07-05-11 01:35 PM
    The decision of whether to get a screen protector or not is not the point here. The question is, has RIM invested the effort and resources to make a product as good as it can make it? Choosing to get a screen protector is great if you like your screen to be covered, but RIM should design this phone so that you don't feel the need to because of its quality build.
    It's a moot point because the Torch screen is already good enough in this regard.

Gorilla glass is not a necessity, it just has marketing hype behind it.
    07-05-11 02:13 PM
    Whatever it is, you can bet if you drop it right, it will crack. I am always noticing how all the people I work with have these touchscreen phones and many have cracked screens. Not sure what they do to them lol...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-11 03:45 PM
    Whatever it is, you can bet if you drop it right, it will crack. I am always noticing how all the people I work with have these touchscreen phones and many have cracked screens. Not sure what they do to them lol...

That is actually a result of the design of the housing around the screen, not the screen itself though.

Certain designs have no give on impact and cause the screen to crack easier.
    07-05-11 04:12 PM
    I like the Gorilla Glass on my Dell Streak. Now nearly 1yr old, no screen protector, zero scratches.

But, I've heard this glass is so hard it cracks easier.

I've never dropped my Dell Streak, but I've dropped my 9780 several times. Gorilla Glass might not be a good fit.
    07-05-11 06:40 PM
    I like the Gorilla Glass on my Dell Streak. Now nearly 1yr old, no screen protector, zero scratches.

But, I've heard this glass is so hard it cracks easier.

I've never dropped my Dell Streak, but I've dropped my 9780 several times. Gorilla Glass might not be a good fit.
    By hard you mean brittle. Well, it's so hard it is so brittle meaning it is more prone to cracking.
    07-05-11 06:51 PM
    Yep, like how tempered glass is a lot more brittle.
    07-05-11 06:54 PM
    By hard you mean brittle. Well, it's so hard it is so brittle meaning it is more prone to cracking.
    ^ Yes.

Yep, like how tempered glass is a lot more brittle.
    ^ and yes.

But it is pretty resilient to scratching!
    07-05-11 07:19 PM
    I see corning makes the gorilla glass. has anybody been to the corning glass museum? I do recommend it if you're ever in the area, Corning, NY that is.
    07-05-11 09:39 PM
    No matter to me. I have had a few 9700's (Intrernal LCD cracks from god knows what.) And I haven't had any scratches on any of the glass. Even dropped the one and was perfectly fine.

07-05-11 09:46 PM
    yep screen protector would be needed as usual.
    07-05-11 09:49 PM
    In the video posted a few days ago ( ), the person from RIM said while speaking about the 9900 that it has a scratch resistant hardened glass. Does anyone have any more information on this? I know it's not the gorilla glass that has gained so much publicity, but is this RIM's own version of that glass?
    Who knows if it's better or not than gorilla glass, but I will tell you this, a lot of things said in that video clip is wrong, just like him saying the last phone to have a wide qwerty keyboard like that is the 9700 is one of the many incorrect things said by this "RIM employee". It would be nice though if it's better than gorilla glass though.

One thing's for sure, I am still getting this device.
    07-05-11 10:35 PM
    Ya the glass doesn't really bother me. I've dropped my curve many times and the glass is just fine and scratch free so I expect that this glass would be miles ahead of the curve so I should be just fine.

07-05-11 11:25 PM
    I see corning makes the gorilla glass. has anybody been to the corning glass museum? I do recommend it if you're ever in the area, Corning, NY that is.
    I understand that Gorilla Glass has been around for a long time and only recently adopted by phone and tablet makers.

Everyone need to remember that glass is like steel. The more hardness you build into it to resist scratching, the brittle it becomes. Softer would scratch more easy but would not break, under impact, as easy.
    07-06-11 07:34 AM
    Does anyone know if they're using the hardened glass on the Torch 2, as well?
    07-06-11 07:43 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD