Okay so this isn't my 9900, it's a family member's. I was told that it suddenly froze on the alarm screen or clock screen while it was charging. After that the battery was pulled, and it did not restart. The LED did not turn red when the battery was inserted, and since then we have tried to get it to power on but have had no luck.

I tried inserting the phone directly into the charger. No response. No LED. I tried inserting the battery and leaving it in charging for about 4 hours. No response. I then tried these two different methods in which the back button was held and battery inserted, no response. I did the same with the end call key, no response (not even LED flash). I did this using the charger too and still, no response.

Any help guys?

Thanks in advance to the lovely CrackBerry community.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 11:55 AM
    Not being a 99xx BlackBerry owener (I had a 9780 before getting my Q10), I can't give you any device-specific advice.

It seems like you've already done a lot of different procedures, and some of the things that I was going to suggest (i.e. battery pull). How long has your family member owned this phone? Has it ever froze like this or in a similar fashion before? Which carrier is the phone under? If there's a warranty or some kind of device insurance on the phone (i.e. in case of accidental dropping, device malfunction, etc.), then your family member can go to his or her carrier's store/kiosk and ask them to look at it; and see what they suggest. He or she can get a loaner phone while it is being repaired, if the problem is fixable and if that is something your family member would like.

I really hope the 9900 starts working again soon! Perhaps try, when your family member is at the carrier's store, inserting a brand-new 9900 battery into the device. Maybe the battery is malfunctioning.

Good luck!
    12-31-13 01:53 PM
    Not being a 99xx BlackBerry owener (I had a 9780 before getting my Q10), I can't give you any device-specific advice.

It seems like you've already done a lot of different procedures, and some of the things that I was going to suggest (i.e. battery pull). How long has your family member owned this phone? Has it ever froze like this or in a similar fashion before? Which carrier is the phone under? If there's a warranty or some kind of device insurance on the phone (i.e. in case of accidental dropping, device malfunction, etc.), then your family member can go to his or her carrier's store/kiosk and ask them to look at it; and see what they suggest. He or she can get a loaner phone while it is being repaired, if the problem is fixable and if that is something your family member would like.

I really hope the 9900 starts working again soon! Perhaps try, when your family member is at the carrier's store, inserting a brand-new 9900 battery into the device. Maybe the battery is malfunctioning.

Good luck!
    Firstly, thank you for responding. The phone was purchased in June or July and had warranty. It's currently running on Giffgaff (Pay as you go) which runs on O2 in the UK. I'd think that it has frozen before (randomly) but a restart has fixed it. However, my sister said she tried the 3 button restart (alt, caps, delete) when it froze and it did not restart. She then did a battery pull. Oh and I would just like to add that is has warranty but does NOT have accidental damage protection of any sort.

Thank you

-WhiteBerry

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 02:08 PM
    You're welcome! Okay, so the phone is about five or six months old, and has frozen before. My phone is a little older than that and sometimes glitches, so I guess all phones have that capacity, lol. I'm assuming the warranty (even though it does not cover accidental issues) is now over, but that doesn't mean that your sister can't bring it back to the store and ask for another battery to be put in, to see if the phone works.

This 9900 is still very new, so I don't get why it has frozen like this and now won't turn on. I still suggest her bringing it to her carrier's store and seeing if a brand-new 9900 battery will work with it. If it does, she could have been sold a defective or malfunctioning battery; and at least then, she can buy a new one and the phone will be good. If it is defective, she could even ask for perhaps a price reduction or some kind of compensation; as a phone's battery shouldn't die out after six months, and replacing one at that point is not only unnecessary but also very inconvenient.

To show you what I mean: my 9780's battery began to malfunction after about two years or so of use. So though it was an inconvenience, at least I could think, "Well, it is an older battery that must have some wear and tear; so I guess I could either purchase a new one now or wait until I upgrade to another phone." But six months is certainly not the same, and she should be compensated if it is a battery issue.

Good luck, and please keep us updated on what happens! It's nice that you are taking care of your sister like this. I also dote on my brother (though he is 6'2" and doesn't need his little sister tagging along after him; but alas, I am his "gnat," as it were ).
    anon(4185604) likes this.
    12-31-13 02:25 PM
    The only advice I can offer is to try hooking it up to a computer USB while desktop manager is on. Then try to turn it on and see how it goes. That worked for me once.
    12-31-13 07:15 PM
    You're welcome! Okay, so the phone is about five or six months old, and has frozen before. My phone is a little older than that and sometimes glitches, so I guess all phones have that capacity, lol. I'm assuming the warranty (even though it does not cover accidental issues) is now over, but that doesn't mean that your sister can't bring it back to the store and ask for another battery to be put in, to see if the phone works.

This 9900 is still very new, so I don't get why it has frozen like this and now won't turn on. I still suggest her bringing it to her carrier's store and seeing if a brand-new 9900 battery will work with it. If it does, she could have been sold a defective or malfunctioning battery; and at least then, she can buy a new one and the phone will be good. If it is defective, she could even ask for perhaps a price reduction or some kind of compensation; as a phone's battery shouldn't die out after six months, and replacing one at that point is not only unnecessary but also very inconvenient.

To show you what I mean: my 9780's battery began to malfunction after about two years or so of use. So though it was an inconvenience, at least I could think, "Well, it is an older battery that must have some wear and tear; so I guess I could either purchase a new one now or wait until I upgrade to another phone." But six months is certainly not the same, and she should be compensated if it is a battery issue.

Good luck, and please keep us updated on what happens! It's nice that you are taking care of your sister like this. I also dote on my brother (though he is 6'2" and doesn't need his little sister tagging along after him; but alas, I am his "gnat," as it were ).
    Omg this is so old, but anyway, I decided to sneak out my sister's 9900 as my sister and dad have gone for vacation. She's currently using her gold iPhone 5S. Pretty well designed (not gonna lie). So, we did put a functional battery into the 9900 to no avail. I've tried leaving it in the charger, with and without the battery. I've tried holding down the end call button and then inserting the battery.

I have no f**king idea what it is xD Maybe you used sleep power on it? :3 I even tried connecting it to desktop maanger. Now going to try loading up an OS and see if it recognises the PIN while doing that. Maybe reboot the PC, smash my head against the 9900, idek. Thanks for all the help guys but I really wanna fix this beast.

Also, it was purchased at a UK store, CeX, which do second hand electronics. It was a grade B and although they gave us a 1 year warranty, the guys at CeX COMPLETELY refused to accept the fact that it was their fault. Never believe their warranty. They think it's physical damage. (Not true at ALL).
    07-09-14 05:47 PM