Just wanted to give people a heads-up on a problem I had faced over the weekend, and how it was resolved.

I had a problem over the weekend where my phone just became unresponsive/sluggish. So I pulled the battery, and then it gave me a white screen of death and a JVM error. I pulled again and then the phone would show a bunch of error messages (uncaught exceptions). The phone would load up the OS past the progress bar initialization, then go into my options page, ask me to confirm my timezone, and then flash consecutively a number of error pop-ups. I could not clear them off the screen. Luckily I was able to connect to desktop manager, backup the phone and wipe with it and install the OS again. Must have been a corrupted App stopping the OS from loading up. I had a few back-ups of the phone from earlier (usually backup at least once a week). For the record I was using the official 7.0.0.353 on the Bold

Keep on top of backing up your phone, it only takes 1 minute, but it could be your saviour

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-11 09:53 AM
    This error seems to be common on the new Bolds. Any idea yet what app is causing it? I'm considering a 9930, but not with all these JVM errors happening.

Glad you got it fixed though. But, what, specifically caused it?
    09-19-11 10:01 AM
    Not sure which app actually caused it, but here is a list of apps which I have installed:

Facebook
    Score Mobile
    Score Mobile FC
    BerryWeather
    Bridge
    Protect
    WhatsApp
    One Touch Flashlight
    3D roller coaster Rush
    Texas Hold'em King Live
    Rogers My account
    Photo Studio: Camera+
    Photo Studio: Editor
    Wikitude
    Google Maps
    Signal Booster
    Formula 1
    Blackberry Traffic
    Uber Social
    Rogers Live
    BatteryWatch

Chrisy likes this.
    09-19-11 10:11 AM
    Not sure which app actually caused it, but here is a list of apps which I have installed:

Facebook
    Score Mobile
    Score Mobile FC
    BerryWeather
    Bridge
    Protect
    WhatsApp
    One Touch Flashlight
    3D roller coaster Rush
    Texas Hold'em King Live
    Rogers My account
    Wikitude
    Google Maps
    Signal Booster
    Formula 1
    Blackberry Traffic
    Uber Social
    Rogers Live
    BatteryWatch

Does Signal Booster really work?
    09-19-11 03:52 PM

Facebook
    Score Mobile
    Score Mobile FC
    BerryWeather
    Bridge
    Protect
    WhatsApp
    One Touch Flashlight
    3D roller coaster Rush
    Texas Hold'em King Live
    Rogers My account
    Wikitude
    Google Maps
    Signal Booster
    Formula 1
    Blackberry Traffic
    Uber Social
    Rogers Live
    BatteryWatch

whats rogers live?
    09-19-11 08:00 PM
    installing apps one at a time is usually a smart idea, especially if you are messing around (for example installing os6 apps on an os7 device). it is much safer and makes life a lot easier if errors do occur
    09-22-11 08:32 AM
    My phone froze up and when I did the battery pull, I dot the JVM Error 545 white screen. Would not boot up no matter how many times I pulled the battery.

Took it back to Verizon and got a replacement.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-22-11 09:22 AM
    i suggest getting a replacement.. i got the JVM error twice and both times i was able to reload the OS after a few attempts each time.

My phone finally died over the weekend. Instead of loading the OS again on a corrupt phone i decided to finally get a replacement. Since i reported the first time i got the JVM error they are sending me a new one (although on backorder) even after the 30 days.

they said that my apps or backup file from my previous phone coulda corrupted the phone because i did a backup instead of a device switch.

so if u get a JVM error i suggest u return it as it may cause problems down the road.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-22-11 12:38 PM
    Did you guys see this article?

JVM Error 102 on your BlackBerry? Try this solution BEFORE wiping! | CrackBerry.com

Haven't tried it myself yet, just because I have not gotten any JVM errors.

Hope that helps!
    09-22-11 12:41 PM
    whats rogers live?
    Was wondering the same thing - https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/25356

Rogers.com/live
    09-22-11 01:27 PM
    Did you guys see this article?

JVM Error 102 on your BlackBerry? Try this solution BEFORE wiping! | CrackBerry.com

Haven't tried it myself yet, just because I have not gotten any JVM errors.

Hope that helps!
    I can heartily endorse this solution! I got the error on Sunday with my 9930. The above solution was great -- except rather than use the program noted, I used BBSAK instead to read the logs and find the offending .cod files (which, in my case, was the FourSquare app). I got rid of the files mentioned in the logs, and it rebooted fine -- when it came up I finished the uninstall of FourSquare, rebooted, then reinstalled it. It's been fine since. I didn't lose a single bit of data, either!
    09-22-11 02:59 PM
    a jvm error is a software problem and can be fixed with software solutions. it is indeed easy to exchange the phone, but not necessary
    09-23-11 10:39 PM
    I got JVM 517 and that's the kiss of death. I got it after 3 days and just had to return the phone
    09-24-11 01:09 AM
    No, it's not, it's just a corrupted files system, which can be addressed with the DM and an OS reload, or (better) a Java wipe and an OS reload. Been there, done that.

Most often, in fact almost all of the time, these errors are caused by installing poorly designed or non-compatible software/apps.

Do you return your PC every time it crashes?
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    09-24-11 07:32 AM
    No, it's not, it's just a corrupted files system, which can be addressed with the DM and an OS reload, or (better) a Java wipe and an OS reload. Been there, done that.

Most often, in fact almost all of the time, these errors are caused by installing poorly designed or non-compatible software/apps.

Do you return your PC every time it crashes?
    I do. If not I call for a grownup`s help
    09-24-11 08:19 AM
    Guys,

The reason for the white screen of death on the Blackberry is a RIM application called BlackBerry Protect.

Remove this application and the problem would immediately go away.

Just wanted to give people a heads-up on a problem I had faced over the weekend, and how it was resolved.

I had a problem over the weekend where my phone just became unresponsive/sluggish. So I pulled the battery, and then it gave me a white screen of death and a JVM error. I pulled again and then the phone would show a bunch of error messages (uncaught exceptions). The phone would load up the OS past the progress bar initialization, then go into my options page, ask me to confirm my timezone, and then flash consecutively a number of error pop-ups. I could not clear them off the screen. Luckily I was able to connect to desktop manager, backup the phone and wipe with it and install the OS again. Must have been a corrupted App stopping the OS from loading up. I had a few back-ups of the phone from earlier (usually backup at least once a week). For the record I was using the official 7.0.0.353 on the Bold

Keep on top of backing up your phone, it only takes 1 minute, but it could be your saviour

mpokeras likes this.
    01-13-13 04:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD