I recently purchased the 9810 from AT&T and had the 9700 before. While I like the 9810 I also like the candybar style of the 9900. I would like to hear from users that have purchased both and which phone they ended up with and why. I'm not looking to compare camera and video, I'm more interested in overall use. I have 30 days to use this phone before I have to return or keep and wanted to get feedback from folks that have used both.

Below are some of the items I would like feedback on:
    - Is there much noticable difference in screen size
    - Battery life between the two
    - Pocketability
    - Speed of typing on the keyboards

and other things that may be of help.

Thanks!!
    08-25-11 10:26 PM
    I am on the fence w 9900 and 9810...my 9780 is great and i just sold my i4...got tired of email delays w large pdf's and dropped calls on att.

Does your 9810 drop alot of calls on att?
    08-25-11 10:28 PM
    I am on the fence w 9900 and 9810...my 9780 is great and i just sold my i4...got tired of email delays w large pdf's and dropped calls on att.

Does your 9810 drop alot of calls on att?
    No dropped calls. Had several with the iPhone 4 as well. Love the screen size on the 9810 but not sure if I like flipping up the phone to type. Battery life on the 9810 is excellent as well. What are your pros and cons to each since you have them side by side?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-11 10:59 PM
    I have a list im making too:

9900:
    NFC
    Flashing Trackpad
    Better Keyboard
    Comes with Holster (atleast my carrier - Rogers does)

Larger Screen - Way better browsing
    Better Camera
    08-25-11 11:06 PM
    I currently have the 9800 Torch, and I am due for an upgrade, but really don't feel like getting basically the same exact phone...the only major differences in updates on the phone I saw was OS7 of course, and HD video recording, which I don't use...so basically I'd be paying another ~$100 for the OS7...is 9900 worth waiting for the November AT&T release? I kinda want some more updates and differences other than the new OS7, although it is awesome! Thanks OP for this post, I'd like to see the differences/pros & cons as well.
    08-25-11 11:31 PM
    I am thinking about getting the 9810 as well, but haven't decided yet. I had the Torch 9800 and I can tell you my experience with that vs. my 9900. I loved the large screen on the Torch. It makes a big difference when you're scrolling through emails, twitter, browser etc. I have owned many non smartphone slider phones and didn't have an issue with them. But with the Torch, it eventually got to me. I got tired of sliding the keyboard out everytime I had to respond to a long email, bbm, twitter responses etc. The keyboard on the Torch is good, but not great. It's a heavy phone, so if you plan on putting it in your pocket, you might want to re-think keeping it. I had it in my purse so no issues for me.
    As for the 9900, I love that I can use the touchscreen and respond quickly with the static keyboard. IMO, this is the best keyboard RIM has come out with. So easy to type on, very responsive, the feedback is amazing, much better than the 9000. I love the size and weight. Battery life is similar. I can't speak for the 9810, comparing it to the 9800.

My conclusion:

Form factor - 9900
    Keyboard - 9900 hands down
    Weight - 9900
    Battery life - A tie
    Screen - 9800/9810
    RF and call quality - 9900
    Speaker volume - 9900
    Build quality - 9900
    Browser - 9810 because of the larger screen

That's what I can remember so far. If I can think of something else I'll post it.

P.S. I love the 9900 so much, I'm considering buying the white one when it comes out. Yes, call me crazy.
    08-25-11 11:51 PM
    I went from a 9800 to a 9900, and this is what I found:

Screen size - The additional size is nice when browsing, or reading through emails or facebook/twitter/news feeds without scrolling as much. But I will gladly give up the additional size for the traditional BlackBerry form factor. And 287dpi looks oh so good.

Battery - I'm getting a good day out of both, the way I use them.

Pocketability - A toss up - thinner but wider and taller footprint vs. thicker but narrower and shorter footprint.

Keyboard - I wasn't very good with the virtual keyboard, so I always defaulted to the hardware keyboard on the 9800. The 9800 keyboard was ok...it gets the job done, but I found the shorter travel and the stiffness of the keys kinda threw me off a little...not comfortable for typing a long time. As for the 9900 keyboard, all I gotta say is...best...keyboard...ever.
    08-25-11 11:52 PM
    I have both of these phones and use both daily. If you loved the 9800 torch you will really love he 9810 as it's much faster better graphics and generally just runs so much slicker. I was a torch user and did not use a candybar in a long time. I also have an iphone 4 and have played with many many other androids etc. I've always had a blackberry on hand tho.

That being said I prefer the 9900 over the 9810. The device is thiner, feels more solid and expensive in your hands. I think the speed is similar and overal use is similar. I LOVE the keyboard on the 9900 and the way it feels in my hand. If you can live with a touch less screen size I would highly recommend the 9900. This in my opinion is the BEST BB to date. I'm very happy with both phones though and plan to continue to support this platform. I will of course be getting an iphone 5 but I can't get away from BBM and I still just much prefer that physical keyboard.

Battery life is never good enough on these devices for my liking but I manage to survive with both phones and i am a very heavy user. I do have car chargers and cables everywhere I go though I don't ever make a full day on one.
    lostOzone and Motoc Iahim like this.
    08-26-11 12:12 AM
    Well thanks to Blackberry Guy and Wirelessgal, I know what my decision will be now..haha. I love the large screen on the 9800 Torch, but yes, the sliding gets obnoxious anytime I want to type (can't stand typing on touch screen). I'll sacrifice the large screen for the keyboard, honestly that's a major thing with me. I text, E-mail, and just type in general like there's no tomorrow, and the keyboard is just too dang flat on the Torch. I do love the white color option though, so I really hope there will be a white 9900, that will be amazing.
    08-26-11 12:13 AM
    One thing to note is the 9810 and the 9900 have the same number of pixels, you see 18 icons when the screen on the 9900 is showing all, but only 16 (4x4) when the 9810 is. Not a big thing, but the high res is great on the 9900 if you have good enough eyes. I'm very happy with the 9900 screen size and web browsing is golden.
    Motoc Iahim likes this.
    08-26-11 12:58 AM

I can't add much more than the above posters excellently provided other than at least 15 of my friends including myself moved to the 9900 fron the Torch.

Motoc Iahim likes this.
    08-26-11 01:37 AM
    I guess torch sliders are becoming too heavy now. I would go for 9900..its traditional bb by design and function, and serves well.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    Motoc Iahim likes this.
    08-26-11 02:23 AM
    All I can say is i LOVE the 9810. Great battery life, great camera and it would be difficult for me to go back to the smaller screen.
    Motoc Iahim likes this.
    08-26-11 09:40 AM
    I own both (plus an iPhone). Fell in love with 9900 at first. But found it the 9810 more relaxing to use. Sounds weird, but when I would go google something on the 9900, I dreaded reading that small screen. The 9810 is like an iphone for surfing. Also seeing more apps (icons) on the screen attime is nice, and UI's for various apps just feel a lot less cramped on the 9810.

But the 9810 form factor feels like a 4 y/o android phone. It is not sexy like the 9900. The screen of the 9810 is quite pixelated/aliased/etc compared to 9900/iphone. The keyboard of the 9810 is better than the competitors, better than the 9800, but not as goot as the 97x0, and nothing comes close to the 9900 keyboard.

I haven't really done a comparison, but battery feels longer on the 9810, the 9900 was disappointing, hopign they fix that with software, but not likely.

The speaker on the 9900 is the best speaker phone I have ever heard. Though I hear the 9000 was pretty good.

Flashing trackpad, NFC, won't make a difference in your life. NFC is a couple years from mainstream use.

The 9810 is $100 better than the 9800, in terms of OS, button feel, speed. IMHO.

So in conclusion, I have no conclusion. I think I really need a Torch with slimmer form factor, 9900 keyboard, 9900 build quality (aka aluminum), high dpi screen. No bezel, get as much screen as you can without making it bigger.
    08-30-11 04:09 PM
    I can't decide between these two phones. I am moving to ATT in Oct, and if the 9900 is available with them it wont' be an easy decision. I have a 9800 for work, and I really like it so I could see going to that form factor for my personal phone also. I like the bigger screen, but the 9900 keyboard looks oh so nice. The other thing that plays into the decision is the price. Only $50 for the 9810, that's incredible!!
    09-07-11 09:19 AM
    I am in a similar situation; using the 9800 and have the 9900 which was gifted to me by a friend. Its an international version (meaning bought in India and hence carrier independent). I am debating if i should open the 9900 and begin using it or should i trade it with someone for a Torch 9810. So i have 2 fundamental questions that will help me make my decision and with all the posts above i am almost tilted to open and being using the 9900.
    And so before my Q's: firstly thanks to all of you on this forum and thread for the valuable information posted above.
    Q1: is this 9900 a 4G capable phone? especially since AT&T markets the 9810 as a 4G capable, will my factory unlocked 9900 provide me the 4G network speed on AT&T thought this 9900 is not an AT&T phone
    Q2: this is got to do with the dial pad feature on the TORCH which i really like about the 9800/Torch having the large dial pad digits on display and one can just touch them to dial/make calls rather than search for the keys on the key board.
    I have been told there is no 'touch dial-pad' on the 9900. Can someone confirm ? Are there any 3rd party apps that will do this?
    Thanks .
    09-25-11 04:28 PM
    Fancy samsung galaxy s2 swap

09-25-11 04:44 PM
    I picked up the 9810 about..... 28 days ago. LOVED it. didn't have any issues with it and it was a welcome addition to my playbook.

One day last week I happened into the verizon store at 1pm Saturday tried the 9930 and went out and paid full price for a unlocked rogers 9900 thus returning my 9810. Outstanding phone! I know the specs are the same but it seems faster than the 9810. and the keyboard........ OMG thats enough to sell anyone on a device. I'm VERY happy with my choice.

Motoc Iahim likes this.
    09-25-11 07:02 PM
    personally, the 9810 is the best of both worlds. of course, that also means some compromising. key board isnt as spacious as the 9900 (but it is a heck of a lot better than virtual keyboards), and the touch screen is a bit smaller than the Torch (but way larger than the bold...though the bold is very sharp).

if the 9810 had come to VZN i would have considered it heavily. as it were, im loving my 9930. oh an as far as battery life, the 9900 is excellent compared to Storms and Torches.
    Motoc Iahim likes this.
    09-25-11 08:29 PM
    To actually answer your questions:
    1. No it is an HSPDA+ phone. So faster than a 3G phone, but nothing should be considered 4G except LTE.
    2. No it does not have an onscreen dial pad. But I didn't try to find one either, I suppose it could have been an option in the phone app. The good thing is that someone will likely make an app for it.
    shanxtweet likes this.
    09-26-11 09:48 AM
    To actually answer your questions:
    1. No it is an HSPDA+ phone. So faster than a 3G phone, but nothing should be considered 4G except LTE.
    2. No it does not have an onscreen dial pad. But I didn't try to find one either, I suppose it could have been an option in the phone app. The good thing is that someone will likely make an app for it.
    -------------------------------------
    Is the 9810 from AT&T also the same HSPDA+. ?
    09-26-11 03:17 PM
    Have you got some shops nearby? Best to test it yourself before making your final decision. I personally would go for the 9900 as I type a lot and the keyboard would work a treat for me. What I like the 9810 is the great touchscreen and the solid keybord. If you've got a store nearby try it and decide then.

09-26-11 03:34 PM
    9810 is HSPDA+ too. I felt browsing speeds were similar.
    shanxtweet likes this.
    09-27-11 11:02 PM
    I recently purchased the 9810 from AT&T and had the 9700 before. While I like the 9810 I also like the candybar style of the 9900. I would like to hear from users that have purchased both and which phone they ended up with and why. I'm not looking to compare camera and video, I'm more interested in overall use. I have 30 days to use this phone before I have to return or keep and wanted to get feedback from folks that have used both.

Below are some of the items I would like feedback on:
    - Is there much noticable difference in screen size
    - Battery life between the two
    - Pocketability
    - Speed of typing on the keyboards

and other things that may be of help.

Thanks!!
    I'll compare the 9810 to my old Galaxy S.

Screen

I just got the Captivate and it confused me a bit, but there is a huge difference between the screen size and resolution. The Torch is nice, but the Galaxy blows it away....and it is an old phone.

Battery
    With settings down on the Galaxy you may be able to squeeze a day out of it, I have yet to truly use it all day but thus far I have been less than impressed with the battery life.
    On my Torch I wasn't impressed (blackberry standards) because my old phone was a 9700. But it could last a day and a half, its just that the Bold 9700 lasted longer....but also did less.

Pocket

The torch is awkward to put in your pocket, it is just so think and stubby. I'm sure that the Bold would win here hands down. The other downside is that because it is top heavy, it may slip out of your hands/pocket when you first mess with it your first few times while you adjust. It may not sound like a big deal but it will be if you damage it somehow.

Typing

The Torch typing is also awkward, again, it is a torch so it has three methods of typing but does neither of them amazing. The touchscreen is best for quick lazy messages, but it doesn't have feedback. No vibration like on my Galaxy, no click like on the Storm. You have to always look at the keys, because sometimes your A is an S or your M a comma and such. The physical keyboard is nice it is just like a curve basically, but, again, the size and comfort throws you off. My index fingers are used to balance the phone and hold it while I hammer our longer messages...making you unable to use one hand with the physical. You can only really use one hand while it is held vertically but remember it is a bit heavy so you prefer to hold it in two for the stability most times.

I'm sure I would prefer the torch touch, for the lightweight feel it has or the bold for its efficiency. Not trying to throw my galaxy in here so much, but it gives you a slight vibration when you type and it has slightly wider keys.

Apps

The biggest problem with the Torch or maybe even Os7 in general is apps. There is almost nothing out for it yet. Even basic apps that I had on my 9700 and themes simply do not exist as of yet. So it feels...not so personal. Not a big deal just a minor gripe. It almost makes you wonder, man, by the time they get OS7 ready for apps they will be working on QNX apps right?

I would def go with the Bold if that is what you had before, the Torch feels like the ******* child of blackberries. Not bad, but not traditional.
    09-27-11 11:26 PM
    I currently have the 9800 Torch, and I am due for an upgrade, but really don't feel like getting basically the same exact phone...the only major differences in updates on the phone I saw was OS7 of course, and HD video recording, which I don't use...so basically I'd be paying another ~$100 for the OS7...is 9900 worth waiting for the November AT&T release? I kinda want some more updates and differences other than the new OS7, although it is awesome! Thanks OP for this post, I'd like to see the differences/pros & cons as well.
    i just upgraded, because my 9800 wasn't waterproof, and i love the 9810. just like the review says, this is how it should have been from the start. i didn't like upgrading to it because i was holding out for the 9900, but now that i have it and have used it, i'll be keeping it. if nothing else, the camera and screen size. to make the upgrade seem like a new phone, i went white. my colleague has the 9900, but im not convinced. os 7 anyway is great though.
    Motoc Iahim likes this.
    10-11-11 09:34 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD