Does anyone have any info on the 9900 wifi hotspot update for Telus? I have been waiting patiently for this because I don't want my phone to brick again. I keep checking and the latest update is still .261.

Thanks!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-01-12 10:26 AM
    While I don't have info on the release date or anything like that, I can safely say that Mobile Hotspot does work on the TELUS network if you load either the leaked 7.1.0.54 or the hybrids of the 7.1 series - browsing and posting this via my Playbook connected via Mobile Hotspot (not bluetooth tethering) right now.

As long as you have a compatible plan (any data plan that includes tethering will do) you're good to go!
    01-01-12 12:14 PM
    I'm on Bell and the latest OS right now is .585.

Is there any estimate on when an official 7.1 release will come out? If the 9930 has an official 7.1, then surely the 9900's version is not too far behind?
    mhw100 likes this.
    01-01-12 12:30 PM
    I installed the 7.1.0.74 a few weeks back that I found floating around.
    Seems good - a little hard on battery maybe - but I hope I don't have to deal with the 'bricking' issues. Woke up twice in 2 weeks with the flashing red light and had to do a battery pull to bring it back up.
    I Love the hotspot feature - almost went with an iphone for that and the iCloud.
    01-01-12 12:35 PM
    I installed the 7.1.0.74 a few weeks back that I found floating around.
    Seems good - a little hard on battery maybe - but I hope I don't have to deal with the 'bricking' issues. Woke up twice in 2 weeks with the flashing red light and had to do a battery pull to bring it back up.
    I Love the hotspot feature - almost went with an iphone for that and the iCloud.
    What username/password did you use for Telus?
    01-08-12 12:56 PM
    If i recall correctly it worked out of the box. Enabled it and was in business. Running 7.1.0.190 - about as good as the prev .74 release IMO.
    Found it to be much nicer than the stock os that came when I got the phone - seen way too much of the spinning clock icon for what I thought the hardware should've given me.

Hope that helps.
    01-08-12 04:35 PM
    i installed the leaked 7.1 190 im with telus hotspot works perfect for me soon as i turned it on it asks me to create a password and thats it it worked
    01-08-12 06:24 PM
    You don't have to wait for the "official" OS 7.1 for Telus. I use the very first leaked version and I get wifi hotspot with no issues at all. In fact, there is no difference between an official version and leaked once if they have the same version number.

Since Telus includes free tethering for all BIS plans over $50 per month, I would take advantage out of it by having the hotspot. This is very useful sometimes when I am at school with poor wifi reception.
    01-08-12 06:34 PM
    I am a Telus user and have been running the old 7.1 leaked version for a couple weeks and now the new version....no problems whatsoever!
    01-08-12 07:25 PM
    I'm currently running the latest Leak 190 and im running the hot spot without any issue. No user/pass needed either.
    01-08-12 07:33 PM
    Telus may bring out an update sometime in 2014! (if we are lucky!)
    01-08-12 08:45 PM
    I'm not on telus anymore, but u should be fine just entering isp.telus.com as apn and no username and password. if that doesn't work. then u need to do few more steps.

1) go to TCP IP settings and enable apn settings. for apn type in isp.telus.com
    enable apn authentication, but leave username and password blank
    2) go to host routing table, hit menu and register now
    3) after u get an email that you're registerd on the network try enable the hotspot again.
    if it's not already there use isp.telus.com for apn and leave username and password blank.

this worked for before.

ps. these steps also work on wind mobile. apn name is internet.windmobile.ca, no username or password
    Last edited by skwarek; 01-08-12 at 09:22 PM.
    01-08-12 09:12 PM
    Followed the above steps. Still get the following message when trying to turn on hotspot. "Cannot start Mobile Hotspot due to a temporary network problem. Please try again later." This is the same error I have been getting all along. I am running a Bold 9900 unlocked, originally on Bell. Could this be the issue?
    01-11-12 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD