About 6mo ago I asked the question if an online keyboad option was available. One person has created one, I couldn't get it to work.

My 9900 spends a lot of time docked, attached to my windshield. I'd pay $10 for the same on screen functionality as the 9810. And, I believe there is plenty of screen space for a similar design, not just a numeric keypad. I wish I could code. Anyone have a recommendation?

Jim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-30-12 06:27 PM
    Why not just get the 9860/9850 Torch? That has a pretty god on screen keyboard!
    09-30-12 07:23 PM
    Hi all,

I don't think it is a stupid question at all. In fact, if there were an app out there that did this - I would buy it too. I love my touch screen on the 9900 and would love a touch screen keyboard - even if it was just to pee my iphone colleagues off. Jim, I do know a bit about coding. I will download the SDK tonight and have a look at coding something like this.

Cheers

Craig

10-01-12 12:59 AM
    This must be a joke, it comes with a keyboard.

You got the wrong device!

nololos likes this.
    10-01-12 01:03 AM
    This must be a joke, it comes with a keyboard.

You got the wrong device!

No joke. I love the keyboard. It is fantastic, but I also love tapping the screen.

10-01-12 01:07 AM
    No joke. I love the keyboard. It is fantastic, but I also love tapping the screen.

Having two keyboards on a device would be foolish, also there wouldn't be any space. But you can have your fantasies lol!

Last edited by BigBadWulf; 10-03-12 at 11:43 PM. Reason: language
    10-01-12 01:12 AM
    Pls don't knock the guy.

The 9900 is the best physical keyboard, but if the guy wants to tap the screen in conjunction with the real keyboard then more power to him.
    10-01-12 03:10 PM
    Wow, assholes everywhere I turn. This Blackberry is provided by my employer. I love it. I sit in the car driving a great deal with the 9900 attached to the windshield. The physical keybord is simply too tiny do use while driving.

Thank you to those who see the situation for what it is. I can use the voicedialing for most things, unfortunately we all know it isn't perfect. The on screen keyboard really would close the gap.

And, one final thing. I had a 9810 (two of them) and wore them out. They are shoddy quality and do not hold up to heavy use. The 9900 has been more durable.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 10-03-12 at 11:47 PM. Reason: language etc
    10-03-12 08:24 PM
    The physical keybord is simply too tiny do use while driving.
    With the size of the 9900 and its display, an onscreen keyboard is unlikely to be any bigger than the physical one.

Have you tried other dictation apps, like vlingo?
    10-03-12 09:07 PM
    I do see the OP's point of view on having an on-screen keyboard as I have mine fixed to my windscreen while driving as well. But then again, I don't do much typing when driving so it doesn't really bother me.

Elite is right though to say that since the screen size is small, the on-screen keyboard won't be much of a help as well as it is limited by the screen size.
    10-03-12 09:38 PM
    Plenty of phones with both physical and virtual keyboards, however....

Your reason for wanting a virtual keyboard leaves much cause for concern. Last thing I want to see, is someone typing away, on a phone mounted in the window.
    Elite1 likes this.
    10-03-12 11:51 PM
    There is an app that will give you a virtual dialer .. not a full keyboard thou..
    10-06-12 12:08 AM
    There is an app that will give you a virtual dialer .. not a full keyboard thou..
    I saw this app too. But is a dialer only. But i like ur idea.
    10-06-12 03:58 PM
    This has to be the dumbest suggestion/idea of all time.

The screen is slightly shorter in length than the physical keyboard so a on screen on would be even smaller.

If you measure your current keyboard, its almost the size of the lcd. So you would have no space on the LCD for anything else.

Once again, seriously?

10-06-12 11:30 PM
    This has to be the dumbest suggestion/idea of all time.

The screen is slightly shorter in length than the physical keyboard so a on screen on would be even smaller.

If you measure your current keyboard, its almost the size of the lcd. So you would have no space on the LCD for anything else.

Once again, seriously?

Hey all - different strokes for different folks.

Just and update though, I have started with the OSKb, and I have made the keyboard fit to about half the screen. Now I will play with madams 9810 to find out when the keyboard pops up.

Cheers

Craig

10-07-12 12:55 AM
    Last thing I want to see, is someone typing away, on a phone mounted in the window.
    - - - - - - WHILE driving!

In my state, that will get you a quick ticket from your friendly local po-po. Jus' sayin'.

ayekon likes this.
    10-07-12 09:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD